Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Can you imagine how much awesomer the Harry Potter films would have been if they could have got the lad playing Joffrey to play Draco Malfoy?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Love that final scene between LF and Varys, even if it was a bit "Why, Lord Exposition! What an unexpected pleasure!".

I also like how even Tywin is on the back foot with his "Well even *if* my son and daughter were involved in some hideously murky incestuous affair, WHICH THEY'RE NOT BY THE WAY...!" - so great that someone with the balls and brains to match his has appeared in the form of Granny Tyrell. Oh, and Slow Loris is gay, in case you hadn't worked it out. Part of me wants to say "we get it already" but OTOH some of the lines are genuinely quite funny.

But by Christ, that bit at the start with Samwell serenading his chinless paramour was stuck in to fill five spare minutes, wasn't it? Gah.

Edit: wow, Robb's missus is Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter, cool.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
LOVE that scene between Joffrey and his grampa, eh?

Also enjoyed Marc Almond's star turn as the lord of that slave city Dany's (presumably) about to make short work of.

Ygritte...there's a fine line between enjoyably feisty and downright annoying, and she's spending more and more time on the wrong side of it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Thoughts about ep8? I liked that it dealt with fewer plotlines than they've generally been doing this series. Joffrey continues to demonstrate that there's no such thing as moral absolute zero. I loved Tyrion's standing up to him.

However, a severe dearth of Varys, Littlefinger and Bronn.

One thing that's bugging me a bit is this stuff about the supposed properties of royal blood. "Where do you think your get strength from?", Mel asks Gendry - uh, is it definitely nothing to do with the fact that he's spent the last ten years smashing bits of hot metal with a fuck-off hammer every day? And it doesn't seem to fit too well in a series that generally subverts or ignores trad fantasy tropes more often than it conforms to them. I mean, Terry Pratchett was taking the piss out of this sort of guff 20 years ago.

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
"Where do you think your get strength from?"

well robert baraetheon was a huge, enormously strong dude. dunno if comes across in the show cos they got a normal size guy to play him but in the books he's supposed to be like 6'6" (so almost 2m) and totally ripped in his prime during the war. by the time the books start he's gone to fat from a life of hedonistic excess but the genes he'd still pass on. inherited physical traits are a pretty common theme and sometime plot device in the books but not in a magical sense, except maybe for the targaryens tho even w/them it'd still be genetically inherited quasi-magical traits I guess.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sure, but Robert B must hardly have been the only tall, strong guy in Westeros and moreover, most people would be fairly ripped if they'd been working in a smithy since childhood, was my point.

Edit: plus Mystic Mel's idea that it must have magic properties is borne out by the demonstration with the leeches, isn't it?

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Thoughts about ep8? I liked that it dealt with fewer plotlines than they've generally been doing this series. Joffrey continues to demonstrate that there's no such thing as moral absolute zero. I loved Tyrion's standing up to him.

I've realised that my main two issues with this season are

1. Too many plotlines (and some of them are boring)
2. Anything can happen (magic/dragons etc. makes things less exciting)

I miss the more leisurely pace of the first series, and I agree that the latest episode was better for slowing things down a little. The wedding scene in particular was very good.

I'm assuming Joffrey is going to die soon after that leech scene.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
2. Anything can happen (magic/dragons etc. makes things less exciting)

Yeah, I find my interest wanes in the stories that involve lots of explicitly magic/supernatural stuff. Renley's assassination, although visually quite cool, was a low point for me in terms of the story in the last series. As you say, it just means anything can happen. And surely the GoT universe is enough of a crapsack world with people like Joffrey, Tywin, Littlefinger and Balon Greyjoy in charge of it, without needing monsters and black magic?

Having said that, Samwell's dispatching of the White Wanker was pretty cool, largely because it gave him the opportunity not to be a totally useless multichinned pussyhole for once.

I'm assuming Joffrey is going to die soon after that leech scene.

Given the punishment being doled out to Theon, I can't begin to imagine what the writers have in mind for Joffers.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Renley's assassination, although visually quite cool, was a low point for me in terms of the story in the last series."
Yeah definitely, if she can do that why not just off all her enemies and have done with it? I seem to remember they gave some half-arsed explanation but if it was a one-shot weapon wouldn't it have been better to use it on one of the more dangerous adversaries?
You'd think that the leech thing means the three people mentioned are gonna die - if not why bother?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I assumed the leeches going foomf was a demonstration of the magic potency of royal blood rather than the actual death-spell itself, and that she was naming the next three victims of whatever monstrosity she'd engendered from Gendry. Stannis presumably being too shagged out at this point to provided the requisite mojo.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's funny cos I have wanted Joffrey to die horribly all along, and I still do, but I'd be sorry to see him go in a way cos he's so great to hate. I mean, if he ramped down his psychopathy a bit (and was just the sort of dick who removes Tyrion's footstool instead of crossbowing prostitutes and threatening to rape women for a laugh) he'd be a lot more loveable to hate.

I DO want Samuel to die, his wide simpering eyes do my head in and those scenes involving him and er out of Skins are DULLLLL (other than the stabbing - I thought the white walker's approach through shadows was well done).

Its more or less always the same characters who are interesting and fun to watch - Tyrion, Jamie, Cersei, Tywin, Baelish, Varys...

Oh I dunno, maybe I'm moaning too much. I still get annoyed at the end of each episode that I have to wait for the next. Overall though this has been my least favourite season so far. It's still very good fun.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
aargh aargh aargh I want to know what happens but my girlfriend hasn't watched any of the third series yet and I'm up to ep8 and I've just moved in with her so I can't really watch the last two by myself, aargh aargh aargh!

wise

bare BARE BONES
I assumed the leeches going foomf was a demonstration of the magic potency of royal blood rather than the actual death-spell itself, and that she was naming the next three victims of whatever monstrosity she'd engendered from Gendry. Stannis presumably being too shagged out at this point to provided the requisite mojo.

death spell itself

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Blimey, it's gonna be a bloody one! Looking forward to this. Though I had a feeling Robb, at least, was gonna get it soon.

zhao

there are no accidents
instead of "Game of Gnomes", show should have been called "Fuck the Starks"

i guess those characters were not strong and had no where to go really...
if they continued the war it would have been a challenge to make it interesting probably...
pretty shocking nonetheless.
maybe Jon Snow will come back and lead? with help of cripple boy and little angry girl, who is just going to be like, so so so next level angry now!

the perfect anti-slavery mother of dragons can't just go on getting lucky and just take the 7 kingdoms can she? that would be pretty lame plot wise no?

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I haven't read past 'clash of kings' but from what I understand book two of 'storm of swords' is pretty crazy and shit will pop off in the next series. I know, having watched a google interview with GRRMartin, that a big character is going to pop their clogs soon, and not unsurprisingly, and I can't wait for that. I'm wondering if that's going to happen in tonight's episode or if it will be reserved for next year. So far its always been structured so the penultimate episode is the OMGWTFinF episode and the last episode is setting things up for next year so...

It's weird when you think about it that the white walkers have figured so little in this series, after the massive zombie army march that closed series 2 - I can only remember that one bit with fat Sam stabbing homie with the magic knife and that's about it, zombie-wise.

Anyway, I'm interested to know what's going to happen after the red wedding. And, as Zhao says, with the Starks gone (or at least for now, with Bran and Arya presumably years from fulfilling their potential as bad-asses), it seems like its pretty much every evil, unscrupulous bastard for themselves. One thing I really like about how GOT is developing is that the ''heroes'' (such as they can be) of the show now include Jamie Lannister, Tyrion (who was always a hero admittedly), Varys and The Hound. The truly virtuous characters (i.e. The Starks) almost fall short of heroism in Martin's universe because they're so hopelessly naive they can't survive or prosper.

I can see the Boltons emerging as the new biggest evil cunts on the scene in the near future. Also I haven't wanted somebody horribly dead as much as Walder Frey since Joffrey got the Butcher Boy killed.