Guitarry shit please

IdleRich

IdleRich
Glad you enjoyed. Here's another that I've had to stop myself from playing every single time I dj

Also, you're from Chile aren't you? Do you know this band?

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
oh yeah, i do. the guy who did the reissue had a record shop in santiago (background) and liked to mention them and the fact that he produced the first sun dial record, very colourful character.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I gotta be honest and say that I don't listen to much recent guitar music and I have a bit of a problem with kinda garage revival bands and stuff. That said, I think that this has something (not that it's exactly recent).

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Here are some guitar things. Some people may know some of them already.

Flipper is another one of those essential building blocks like MBV or the Stooges. Flipper (+ post-My War Black Flag when they got all slow + heavy) begets The Melvins begets Earth begets Sunn O)).
Flipper – Ha Ha Ha, Get Away

(Sidenote, Kurt Cobain was all up in that mix – good friends w/The Melvins, sings on one of Earth’s early demos, etc. His top 50 albums list is a pretty much impeccable collection of “guitarry shit”. Pretty much everything on it is great. That dude had good taste.)

Some punk rock is pretty good guitar music
The Weirdos – We Got the Neutron Bomb
The Only Ones – Another Girl Another Planet
(early) Social Distortion – Telling Them, Hour of Darkness After 1st LP Social D gets way more rockabilly which is not my thing at all but some people like it.
The Wipers – Alien Boy, Over the Edge
Everything the Wipers did is awesome. Greg Sage is massively underrated genius.
Hickey – El Farolito RIP Matty Luv

pre-punk/post-punk/etc
Pere Ubu – Final Solution
Television – Marquee Moon magical guitar solos bends time + space
Chrome – In a Dream from same SF avant late 70s scene as the great Tuxedoomoon
Glenn Branca – Lesson No. 1 the Arthur Russell of post-punk
Mission of Burma – That’s How I Escaped My Certain Fate
anything by Killing Joke up to about 1985 or so

Squirrel Bait – Sun God these guys transformed into Slint a couple years later, you can kinda hear it

Embrace – Give Me Back, No More Pain Ian McKaye’s band between Minor Threat + Fugazi. I prefer them to Fugazi (not to Minor Threat tho of course)

A couple of other random things
Thin Lizzy - Emerald
Isengard – Gjennom skogen til blaafjellene

bruno

est malade
I think I prefer the synth pop incarnation to be honest.
i think they are both minor outfits. i much prefer this:

and loop to some extent:

and this sounds nieuw and rocking:

<iframe src="" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
separate post about 2 specific bands

The Nils - kind of a Canadian Replacements except melancholic in place of raucous. Should have been as big as Westerberg + co. or The Pixies or any of those but undone by combination of bad luck and heroin.
Scratches + Needles
In Betweens
Fountains
Rivers of Sadness

Кино́ (or Kino) - led by the legendary Victor Tsoi (RIP). I prefer early stuff which is basically just him, acoustic guitar + early drum machine. It's very much in the Russian bard tradition, if you translate the lyrics they're pretty fantastic. The later stuff is more new wave-ish in a Cure/Smiths/etc sense but still pretty good. I dunno maybe it's just me but there's like this strange, powerful magic about the dude + his music. he's also a massive, massive hero in Russia even tho he's pretty much unknown in the West.
early
Бездельник
Электричка
later
Группа крови
попробуй спеть вместе со мной

also here is a black metal band from Belgium doing a surprisingly good, moving (well, to me) Kino cover
Lycanthropy's Spell - Спокойная Ночь