luka

Isn't Mick Jagger the 100% authentic sound of young british blues obsessives from the early 60s, though?

to a degree. is this what he is trying to convey? i suspect not.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
don't understand your question. it's the same real America that produced Charlie Parker, the same fake America that produced Wynton Marsalis

You're defining 'real' as things that you like, is the point of my question. Someone could say that 'real' American music is only that which is directly descended from native American music. They could say anything and arbitrarily say that that is 'real', based upon their own personal assertion of what 'real' is. Which is what you're doing. Until you actually describe what authenticity actually is, which you haven't done yet

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
and by pointing out an exception to the general rule, (which i have already said does exist), you are validating the rule itself.

:)

:rolleyes: dear oh dear that's scraping the barrel already. Still waiting on a definition of authenticity by the way.

Last edited:

luka

im not sure i understand your point slothrop. its ok though. ive got other things on my mind. like the crevice the crevice.

zhao

there are no accidents
You're defining 'real' as things that you like, is the point of my question. Someone could say that 'real' American music is only that which is directly descended from native American music. They could say anything and arbitrarily say that that is 'real', based upon their own personal assertion of what 'real' is. Which is what you're doing. Until you actually describe what authenticity actually is, which you haven't done yet

i don't have to because you, me, and everyone here knows exactly what relative authenticity means in each case, be it Irish Stout, Chinese Food, or American Pop Music.

you are, again, ludicrously disavowing something which we all understand and are invested in.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Guinness is shit, by the way. Unless it's from Nigeria (and therefore by definition inauthentic).

luka

but of course i only ever buy something old farmer o'leary does in a limited run somewhere in doengal.

luka

which you see on tap how often exactly? i think guinness is just fine and suits the english climate and the pint format very well.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
which you see on tap how often exactly?

Quite often in the right sort of pub. I was being hyperbolic when I said it was "shit" but I think it's a good example of a product that's perceived as authentic but is not as good as a lot of comparable products.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i don't have to because you, me, and everyone here knows exactly what relative authenticity means in each case, be it Irish Stout, Chinese Food, or American Pop Music.

you are, again, ludicrously disavowing something which we all understand and are invested in.

You're evading the question again, because you can't answer it. Which is precisely the point i've been trying to make - as soon as you're asked to explain what you mean by authenticity, you collapse into a 'we all understand it' non-answer.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

jagger was/is the right person for the stones' faster songs but hes horrible on all those 'rootsy' (can it be rootsy when those arent even his roots?) country blues songs where he sounds like a ropey impersonator taking the piss. hes lucky he came out in the 60s when people were less versed on things like authenticity and didnt know much about the source material he was copying really badly. hes no better than bad 80s british rappers.

i must have missed all those food threads.

i like ub40 btw. they werent always the reggae cheese band people think of them as. though theres nothing wrong with that really. maybe thats them being authentic to who they really are.

Last edited:

luka

im certainly willing to beleive there are better stouts, possibly even significantly better stouts, but ive never seen stout in a pub that wasnt guiness in my whole entire life. (not including sam smiths)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"still waiting. and please:"
Well, I'm struggling cos I don't think I really understand the concept of authenticity. I was actually gonna pick the Stones as a good but inautentic band - but then I realised that you could argue as Slothrop did that they were authentic in some way. Plus probably loads of people hate them. I think that with people such as Eric Clapton it's their striving for authenticity that makes them so boring - but striving for something is dfferent from being it. In fact if you have to strive you probably haven't got it.
Anyway - Love are a band that everyone likes (surely) despite Arthur Lee being described as a black American trying to impersonate a white Englishman who was impersonating a black American. Way better than most of the other west coast psychedelia of that time.

luka

Love are a band that everyone likes (surely)

i dont i dont like that sort of thing. i dont like them or the beach boys. they're not the same but they are both prissy and fussy.