Champion

Benny Bunter

Aye, and some of Lil Silva's stuff is pretty bizarre. His is next on the list of Butterz 3 bday sets I'm gonna listen to.

jimitheexploder

Yeah his last 12" was mad bleepy no idea how he gets stuff so twisted but so hype too no one really sounds like him. I mean what teh fuck is that

banger

Last edited:

Elijah

Butterz
3 12"s on the way.

First track on the mix is the new record on his imprint Formula. More info soon.

rubberdingyrapids

silva and champion are maybe the best/most consistent funky producers of the past few years (though i like to pretend champions tracks with singers dont exist). the grime/funky/bassline stuff has to be some of my favourite stuff of the last few years. in response to why it isnt given as much attention as the other new 130bpm stuff or post-dubstep house etc etc, well its prob cos its not seen as 'intelligent'.

are there DL links for the cable sets? i cant see them.

Last edited:

jimitheexploder

silva and champion are maybe the best/most consistent funky producers of the past few years (though i like to pretend champions tracks with singers dont exist). the grime/funky/bassline stuff has to be some of my favourite stuff of the last few years. in response to why it isnt given as much attention as the other new 130bpm stuff or post-dubstep house etc etc, well its prob cos its not seen as 'intelligent'.

are there DL links for the cable sets? i cant see them.

What you on about? Champion and Lil Silva have always been played in sets by pretty much everyone playing in that post funky zone at some point.

rubberdingyrapids

What you on about? Champion and Lil Silva have always been played in sets by pretty much everyone playing in that post funky zone at some point.

i was replying to the comment that "Surely this is the 130bpm (and rising>>>) interzone area people should be excited about right now." honestly, i know youre right, i mean, lil silva had 12s on night slugs, champion has gotten a lot of good response, but i cant help feeling that grimier/grime-related/post-grime stuff is somehow less respected than post-dubstep stuff. but sure, its def better than it used to be, and i think butterz and terror danjah have had a lot to do with it. eg - for a long time i dont think RA would even review grime (they have never reviewed a wiley release!) but now they do.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Oh for gods sake, more divisiveness. I offered him an album deal 18 months ago, what more do you want?

sekkle! just pointing out alternative ways to be a bit more eclectic in sets, (ways which I personally prefer), don´t mean to tread on anyones toes. I know you like Champion, Funkystepz, Butterz, DJ Q etc...we´ve actually got quite a bit in common!

Dissensus in general feels well touchy at the moment.

jimitheexploder

Haha I think its all the bitching about realness. I personaly don't think anyone outside of the North of Engerland should make a Jackin' track tbh, it'd just be fake hipster post-jackin' bullshit.

;)

Seriously tho I think Champion, Lil Silva and all them do alright coverage wise, I'd like to see more but only beause I think its wicked. But they get booked on post-dubstep strong holds like Boiler Room, they've had some grime on and all that. When Wiley was in his prime RA was more of a stright up house website I thought if it was even around. I dunno it still is most of the time, they've spread out a little more the last three/four years like most places that cover dance music have.

Butterz, Hardrive, Hyperdub, Planet Mu, Oil Gang, Numbers, Keysound all putting vinyl out of this stuff again prob helped a lot with getting more press and visibility. I don't think digi only stuff gets half as far in that respect even in this day and age.

Last edited:

Elijah

Butterz
It's a shame that they aint really accepted on the wider house circuit. Just look at all the festival line ups

jimitheexploder

Yeah that is a shame. When so many funky people jumped ship to tech house though it didn't leave much room for crossover anymore to house. They kinda just shut up shop and left instead of merging it together more like it was doing in the earlier days.

rubberdingyrapids

seriously, for a long time, a lot of people just hated it cos it was seen as too 'urban' and too linked to kids that most of england hated (it was also just too different, raw, and angry for most people too tbh). nowadays you see pieces in timeout telling londoners grime is one of the citys cultural contributions to be proud of, like hip hop in new york, but for years, it was seen as a bastard child. but anyone on this forum prob knows that already. im not sure when it changed exactly, when people felt they had to accord it a bit of respect (prob around the time labels like hyperdub finally started issuing some grime and also when dizzee broke big), but it has got a better image now, and various parts of the music have changed to play ball a bit more too.

Benny Bunter

Don't listen to 'em Benny! Enjoying your posts atm.

haha its all fun and games til...vol 37

seriously though, don't like being made to feel like a bloody troll every time i give an opinion.

Maybe part of the problem is there isn't really a single thread where we can talk about the sort of DJing that Champion and a handful of others do (the ILX threads on DJ Q and 'interzone garage bubblahs' were awesome for this subject). Q in particular is like the gold standard for mixing garage/grime/jackin/funky/bassline/uk bass/house all together while keeping it cohesive. And the whole Butterz aesthetic appears to be increasingly bringing these strands together too.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Yeah his last 12" was mad bleepy no idea how he gets stuff so twisted but so hype too no one really sounds like him. I mean what teh fuck is that

banger

Yeah, wtf is that? Every single Lil Silva track of the last couple of years has had me scratching my head at first, then I grow to love it.

edit: cor, the b side too is this a vinyl only thing or what, these tracks are new to me.

Last edited:

Elijah

Butterz
Q in particular is like the gold standard for mixing garage/grime/jackin/funky/bassline/uk bass/house all together while keeping it cohesive.
Yea man DJ Q is overlooked constantly. Def need to do a project with him.

Big up for all the complements Benny.

I read a thing somewhere the other day with EZ saying something about how he wishes Jackin was under the garage umbrella instead of seen as a separate thing. All the break offs aren't productive after a while. People like Q go unnoticed as he sticks with the wider 'Garage' term rather than appearing to change style every 18 months.