Champion

jimitheexploder

Yeah, wtf is that? Every single Lil Silva track of the last couple of years has had me scratching my head at first, then I grow to love it.

edit: cor, the b side too is this a vinyl only thing or what, these tracks are new to me.

Yeah vinyl only white label stuff hes doing in small runs. Gobble That was the last one in the series.

Not sure thats on digi anywhere either.

Benny Bunter

yeah though q's been getting more props recently i suppose - love his new todd edwards style ep.

Elijah, while you're here can you comment upon this bit of speculation taken from an ILX thread the other day? Or are you keeping schtum for now?

wonder if "the sunset project" isnt a tropical 3 dealio in the works

...something like that would indeed be awesome

continuum

smugpolice
The problem I see with using the term 'garage' to cover a wide variety of styles mixed into one is that it doesn't signify anything new. The Deep Tech House tag for the Shuffling style is at least someway unique in it's mashing together of some existing terms but could do with a unique name still. Jackin' is perfect for that particular style of music although I do see a lot of Jackin' producers labelling their music on Soundcloud as 'House & Bass' recently. Probably something to do with Hannah Wants making moves onto Kiss and the fact that most Jackin' DJs play stuff like Disclosure White Noise and similar in their sets to get people on board before hitting them with the purer stuff. A good name seems to be formed naturally and not by any one person and takes off of it's own accord when there is genuinely something new to be heard. While I like what DJ Q is doing atm, when listening to his mixes personally I find he mixes tunes too quickly and it just seems like one big messy mash up mix (I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong if anyone has a decent recent mix by him where he doesn't do that). Likewise Champion and Lil Silva are really good but probably a bit off the wall for most casual club goers (unless put in the right context at a night like Butterz).

Benny Bunter

While I like what DJ Q is doing atm, when listening to his mixes personally I find he mixes tunes too quickly and it just seems like one big messy mash up mix (I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong if anyone has a decent recent mix by him where he doesn't do that).

strongly disagree here, he's been easily my favourite DJ of recent times. Until I started checking out his 1xtra shows properly I'd never really been a fan of eclectic mixes, but he is one of very very few that can pull it off. You checked out his Radio Raving mix of all his own productions yet? Maybe you'd prefer that