WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Yeah, agreed. That's one of his best tunes. Those first few EPs and the two albums have a quality the later stuff doesn't.

a tension sits in its more persuasive elements, eg it def swings, bass face, yet…I’m in the middle and still waiting for it to happen like living the nod out with stripped back Chez Damier heroin-house - needs a moog solo to juice up all the bass, like lemon with cream to give it a bit more purchase harmonically

seems more music for cars and wraparound headphones

version

a tension sits in its more persuasive elements, eg it def swings, bass face, yet…I’m in the middle and still waiting for it to happen like living the nod out with stripped back Chez Damier heroin-house - needs a moog solo to juice up all the bass, like lemon with cream to give it a bit more purchase harmonically

There's an old interview where he says the 'car test' is what makes or breaks a tune for him. If he thinks it sounds good driving around at night in his mate's car then he's nailed it.

version

I can't imagine hearing him for the first time now and it having the same impact it did in the 2000s, even the early stuff. It sounds much less striking and impressive to me than it once did, although it's hard to tell whether that's down to me, him or the time barrier.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I can't imagine hearing him for the first time now and it having the same impact it did in the 2000s, even the early stuff. It sounds much less striking and impressive to me than it once did, although it's hard to tell whether that's down to me, him or the time barrier.

naivete. you weren't listening to bernard parmegiani in 2007. i mean, i weren't.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
It’s similar to iterations of hardcore, jungle and d+b all siphoned via multiple iterations of human ears right as drum programming got pastiched to oblivion

yunno

IMG_2211.jpeg

william_kent

Where do you start with this bloke? I know it’s like your gramps wading in pissed up in his braces, top few picks

there was a time ( about 2007? ) when I insisted that Burial may be Blackdown

Burial - Temple Sleeper

this is one of the better later tunes

"Ardkore trance"

1708638381758.png

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

yeah, it's not comparable to steve gurley. don't bother.

version

the more attuned your ear becomes, musically I mean, the more easy it is to see its trappings and where it fails.

Right, that's why I said I wasn't sure whether it was down to me, him or the time barrier. It could be any of the three, or some combination.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Right, that's why I said I wasn't sure whether it was down to me, him or the time barrier. It could be any of the three, or some combination.

I mean I know people who are still mad for Burial. So clearly the time barrier doesn't exist for them. Albeit for me there is music from that era which has dated well. Joker, Autechre, some dBridge stuff, ASC, Shackleton, Coki, Terror Danjah, hyphy,
etc.

version

a tension sits in its more persuasive elements, eg it def swings, bass face, yet…I’m in the middle and still waiting for it to happen like living the nod out with stripped back Chez Damier heroin-house -

Burial: ... I’m not into big intros, because if you’ve got a big intro, the rest of the tune is forever the rest of the tune, and the intro’s forever the intro. You can never get lost in it, you know where you are in most tunes, and that just takes away the only reason a tune should exist to me, I can't relate to grey music. I like tunes that just dive straight in, there’s a jump off and once you’re in it, the awareness that you’re two minutes into a tune, or four minutes into a tune is gone. That’s how I like my tunes. Or something like Robert Hood, just pure presence, shark-like, elements woven together. You can sense them sitting there rolling out the tune.

shakahislop

Part of the mythology was down to the interviews where he somehow perfectly described his own music via jungle tapes and the sound effects from Alien.

where someone or other from CCRU managed to insert themselves into the publicity stuff around the album and put the words in burial's mouth (i'm very convinced about this). amazing how effective that was.

mixed_biscuits

Burial: ... I’m not into big intros, because if you’ve got a big intro, the rest of the tune is forever the rest of the tune, and the intro’s forever the intro. You can never get lost in it, you know where you are in most tunes, and that just takes away the only reason a tune should exist to me, I can't relate to grey music. I like tunes that just dive straight in, there’s a jump off and once you’re in it, the awareness that you’re two minutes into a tune, or four minutes into a tune is gone. That’s how I like my tunes. Or something like Robert Hood, just pure presence, shark-like, elements woven together. You can sense them sitting there rolling out the tune.
There should be more tunes structured like this now that DJs can mix them together within a couple of bars