ILX's ''110 ELECTRONIC DANCE TRACKS of the 00s" Thread

How about listing ten influential tracks and ten personal faves, so be it if there is a bit of crossover between the two lists. I wouldn't worry too much about collating everyone's lists together in a scientific way, these lists are just a means to promote debate rather than embedding youtube videos.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Tricky enough too as 2000 takes in Battle, Crazy love and all that and their is so much stuff in the garage tail up to 2002 alone.

Benny Bunter

How about listing ten influential tracks and ten personal faves, so be it if there is a bit of crossover between the two lists. I wouldn't worry too much about collating everyone's lists together in a scientific way, these lists are just a means to promote debate rather than embedding youtube videos.

I reckon a poll would be much more interesting and debate provoking than just a bunch of lists though. I was thinking of something like this...

If everyone publicly nominated up to 20 tunes (in no order), even if only 20 people were involved that would potentially be 400 tunes to choose from. Obviously its a waste to nominate something twice but we could see all the previous ones here on the board.

Then, from that list everyone chooses say, their top 30 tracks in order, so that your ballot isn't just a repeat of your own nominations list.

You could then discount all the tracks with only one vote (theres bound to be loads) and err...go from there with whats left :slanted:

After the final results everyone could also post their own ballots too if they wanted which would be interesting to see. I think this is basically how ILX did their poll.

as i said I'm shit at statistics, but I don't think this would be that difficult to organise. Any statisticians on the board?

Last edited:

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
2000, lot of these were probably floating around on Dub before hand but roughly.

Triplets
Crazy Love
Battle, What's Going On?
138 Trek
Know We
Oh no, Dilema, No good etc
Hardcore Garage
Gorgon Sound
EL-Brand
You Bring Me Joy
Flowers
Diamond Rings
Shut The Door
Digital
Feelings Inside (EL-Breaks)
Girls Like Us
Pied Piper
Woman Trouble
Boom Selection
Right Before My Eyes
Gabriel (Large Joints Remix)
Biggin Up The Massive
Body Groove
Sing-A-Long
The Club
Neighbourhood

and eh, Richard Blackwood

bruno

est malade
hi all. these are my (probably questionable) choices. i decided to forget the limit and describe each thing briefly, here we go:

the actor's pedantry - house
drexciya - andrean sand dunes
two on the cusp of the 00s, i had to include them as it would be a shame not to. the first is a very hypnotic house (obviously) workout, the second a particularly affecting electro track.

photek + robert owens - mine to give
the best thing he did, and not a bit dated.

daft punk - voyager
daft punk - verdis quo
memories.

closer musik - one two three (no gravity)
lovely floating thing from matías aguayo & co.

metro area - caught up
always had a soft spot for the disco/house stuff and this is very good.

theo parrish - delwood II
introduced to me via dr. lloyd's excellent mixes in 2006.

carsten jost - krokus (superpitcher mix)
heavy deutsche epic with little birds chirping.

phantom ghost - perfect lovers (unperfect love mix)
vocals on this are a bit silly, but the beethoven intro makes up for it.

bitstream - crab nebula
very lush emotional electro of sorts, very special.

gladio - slave of rome
legowelt - fitzcarraldo
squadra blanco - the night must fall
when danny wolfers lost his mind.

mono junk - system night
ridiculous electro nonsense from finland.

omar-s - last track on omar-s 1
brilliance.

2003-2006 on vacation

rice twins - for penny and alexis
lovely atmospheric track on kompakt.

sally shapiro - i know
sally shapiro - hold me so tight
both are cheesy but epic, i still love them (albeit with headphones).

2005-06
annie - heartbeat (alan braxe remix)
kleerup/robyn - with every heartbeat
more ridiculously lush electronic pop.

the field - kappsta
we danced to this.

2006/07
the field - the deal
the field - sun and ice
great for playing tetris and other repetitive games.

2007-2010 another detour

mala - education
escape from new york meets dmz, mala's best in my opinion.

shackleton - something has got to give
terrific stuff.

efdemin - there will be singing
chicago reincarnated in deutschland, ich liebe.

eso es todo amigos. a heavy german slant obviously, but this is how i feel right now.

— = youtube link

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

2000, lot of these were probably floating around on Dub before hand but roughly.

Triplets
Crazy Love
Battle, What's Going On?
138 Trek
Know We
Oh no, Dilema, No good etc
Hardcore Garage
Gorgon Sound
EL-Brand
You Bring Me Joy
Flowers
Diamond Rings
Shut The Door
Digital
Feelings Inside (EL-Breaks)
Girls Like Us
Pied Piper
Woman Trouble
Boom Selection
Right Before My Eyes
Gabriel (Large Joints Remix)
Biggin Up The Massive
Body Groove
Sing-A-Long
The Club
Neighbourhood

and eh, Richard Blackwood

Also 2000, all from Locked On records

Suburban Lick - Here comes the lick again
Leee Johns - Your mind, your body, your soul
Lavonz - Mash up da venue
Monsta boy - sorry

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
So are we doing ''nuum'' tracks or house/techno too cos Bruno just picked a load of the latter stuff (and I'll definitely check out that list)?

Maybe we need to make an OFFICIAL DISSENSUS ARDKORE TOP 100 thread. Preferably with the threat title in ALL CAPS cos we are ARDKORE on this forum and we don't use lower case like wimpy deep house fans do.

bruno

est malade
Some that I would call incredibly bland in there picking up loads of votes. Others would call them deep I suppose. It does depend on context and if you've been dancing to them at the right time on the right drugs with the right people in the right party then it's impossible to separate that from the tune - that's what they're made for after all.
in making my own list i found some overlap with the ilx ones in the listening in social contexts department, which is not my strength. for example, the daft punk discovery tracks are dear to me more as backdrops to social stuff and my sister's fixation rather than as music, although i enjoy the retro-futurist angle very much (and the interstella 5555 video is ace). the same thing happened with the 2006 robyn/annie type stuff that would otherwise not be my usual fare. the lesson i suppose is that we need to get out more to understand the more baffling choices.

bruno

est malade
Maybe we need to make an OFFICIAL DISSENSUS ARDKORE TOP 100 thread. Preferably with the threat title in ALL CAPS cos we are ARDKORE on this forum and we don't use lower case like wimpy deep house fans do.
EXCELLENT IDEA.

bruno

est malade
but really, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a dedicated thread for such a list. even i could contribute a few choices.

Benny Bunter

So are we doing ''nuum'' tracks or house/techno too cos Bruno just picked a load of the latter stuff (and I'll definitely check out that list)?

well would dissensus realistically be able to do justice to a house/techno poll though? I doubt there's enough of a knowledge base here for such a vast subject to make it meaningful.

Also it wouldn't make much sense to have a poll that would put something like Eskimo up against Digital Love for example.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't want to see your list go to waste, bruno. But its best if the Dissensus list is different to the ILX one, and plays to our strengths as revilers of deep house.

I demand that Simon Reynolds aka Blissblogger aka the Boss Don of The Ardkore Continuum comes out of retirement for one post listing his favourite nuum tunes of the noughties.

Then later we will further plagiarise ILX by doing a 90's list which will be more ardkore and grimey than theirs, which will no doubt include 'Encore Un Fois' and 'Fairground' by Simply Red.

bruno

est malade
benny, i'm not sure i agree. if zhao and other members of the forum are anything to go by we can do both eskimo and digital love, i don't see why not. i excluded grime type stuff from my list because i thought it wouldn't fit, but i can make it fit, i do this with different things every day. these dedicated genre threads may contribute to the impression of narrow taste, but i think we are pretty knowledgeable and much less orthodox than it appears.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Fun fact: "Fairground" samples Goodmen ''Give It Up'' a samba-house banger from 1993.

It was also Number 1 in the charts for FOUR WEEKS :confused:

I know the above because me and some friends recently watched about 20 youtube compilation videos of every number 1 track between 1990 and 2010. It was enjoyable.

Benny Bunter

benny, i'm not sure i agree. if zhao and other members of the forum are anything to go by we can do both eskimo and digital love, i don't see why not. i excluded grime type stuff from my list because i thought it wouldn't fit, but i can make it fit, i do this with different things every day. these dedicated genre threads may contribute to the impression of narrow taste, but i think we are pretty knowledgeable and much less orthodox than it appears.

I hear you Bruno but I just think if the subject was too big you'd just end up with shitloads of nominations with only one vote, which wouldn't really tell us much and wouldn't be quite as interesting as something more focussed (though obviously the nuum is a massive subject in itself).

bruno

est malade
I hear you Bruno but I just think if the subject was too big you'd just end up with shitloads of nominations with only one vote, which wouldn't really tell us much and wouldn't be quite as interesting as something more focussed (though obviously the nuum is a massive subject in itself).
good point.

rubberdingyrapids

if youre all doing a nuum type thread you need to leave one spot in the chart free for that tune which you loved that was on one pirate tape you had but you never found out what it was and to this day still have no clue but it might be the best grime/dubstep/ukg/ukf track ever made.

edit - also can it be called the rave chart or whatever, not nuum. thanks.

Last edited: