Amerie "1 Thing"

I second Slackk's suggestion

jd_bid_lol_376X376.gif

Too right. Such a good CD.

mixed_biscuits

It's rather difficult to find viable alternatives to the mainstream when it comes to rnb.

Algierstwin

i've been enjoying some of the ryan leslie stuff lately. . anyone else with me on that?

going to have to dig that amerie out too.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
this thread whetted my appetite and I bought "because I love it," and I like it so much! My little sister informed that Amerie was screechy however, which surprised me as I thought she'd be a 14 year old's vision of perfection.

Shonx

Shallow House
i nicked it off kazaa or one of them ones ages ago.. doesn't seem to be on her debut album OR a single?! assumed it was an album track but no.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassie_(album)

so good innit! if you can't find it anywhere email me ;)

Seems it's on the cd. Some really good tunes on this album. Although a lot of rnb (like any music) has a lot of schlock, when it really hits the spot you get this really perfect pop sensibility, with some quite adventurous sonics.

For some reason, the talk of wonky sensibilities made me think of this Diddy tune

I'm sure these sort of rhythms had been done in more underground hip hop (actually Funkdoobiest were probably early innovators and they were pretty big back then) but I hadn't heard a beat that fucked on a chart tune before.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Had been meaning to post about Beyonce's last song, Get Me Bodied. I think it's even weirder than the above, at least as a candidate for a single.

Similar handclapping rhythms, some swooping fx, otherwise it's ALL VOCALS. I guess there's a tuned bass drum, but otherwise all melodic and harmonic stuff is singing ... and the track keeps switching about so it's not exactly a catchy sing along thing in the slightest. Makes me think most of old New Orleans stuff like 'Iko Iko' and the kind of skipping songs Malcolm McLaren lifted in 'Double Dutch'... and I guess other sparse R&B tracks like Lumidee's 'Never Leave You (Uh Oh)'.

I don't like it, but also find it intriguing enough that I go back to it over and over to try to get what's up.

urbanite

subnoto
strange to see this thread now :) I was just pulling out some of my older records, cuz the promoters asked me to do an indie hip-hop bit in my set, and I was revisiting this blend that I try to pull off every once in a while... The thing is i do find the original vocals a bit too screechy, but that beat is plain amazing and it works well layering EL-P's Step Father Factory vocals over it ;)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That Cassie song is CRAZY :D . Never even knew it existed before ten minutes ago - thanks.

This has always been my absolute favourite. Especially that moment with the delayed vocals on "to explore the way I really feel about you (about you)".

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
And what the hell IS it about her voice that is so goddamned amazing? Maybe it's what Leslie does to the vocals...?

hint

party record with a siren
Had been meaning to post about Beyonce's last song, Get Me Bodied. I think it's even weirder than the above, at least as a candidate for a single.

Not so sure... In contemporary R'n'B, Get Me Bodied isn't that adventurous. Doesn't really suit Beyonce.

In pure musical terms, Freakum Dress was stranger from that album: