Albums of the year 2012

entertainment

That's presumably why they have adopted it. It's the hipster move.

playing up the silly aspect of it?

the message i'm getting from it is that it's very idealist at it's core in a similar way to something like John Lennon singing 'War is over, if you want it'.

If everybody could only get on their 'vibe'...

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
the interesting discussions we had about new music mostly came from Barty. UK drill, Brooklyn drill, rap out of Atlanta and the new wave of dancehall. That to me is acceptable. I think if we'd have talked about gqom or 'deconstructed club' I would have had some sort of attack. I agree with third form here. That kind of club culture is diseased, decadent and despicable.

Yeah tbh I could have posted a bunch of stuff that stuff at the time but I've never been a really active poster and I kind of knew it would get mercilessly destroyed by you and others, which is nothing against you or anyone else and says more about me — I'm guess I'm not a Datwun, Continuum or Barty that is just going to keep chipping away at it. Although funnily enough I think a lot of the criticisms might have ended up sounded like Datwun's complaints about Hessle/UK bass, not that it would have made them unjustified, or that I couldn't have articulated a bunch of criticisms myself.

Gqom though was the real deal and to me is one of, if not the, musical high points of the past decade. Before everyone started ripping off Distruction Boyz the levels were just insane. But it wasn't easily shareable in a forum context as the music mostly lived on Kasimp3, Whatsapp or filesharehost links in Facebook groups.

luka

playing up the silly aspect of it?

the message i'm getting from it is that it's very idealist at it's core in a similar way to something like John Lennon singing 'War is over, if you want it'.

If everybody could only get on their 'vibe'...

No, the sedative, safe, MOR aspect

version

I've found keeping up with any sort of scene mostly fruitless as there's so much music being made these days. I prefer stumbling across individual tunes and artists.

luka

I've found keeping up with any sort of scene mostly fruitless as there's so much music being made these days. I prefer stumbling across individual tunes and artists.

that sucks the life out of everything though dont you find?

luka

lists like the ones on the first page of this thread where you think fucking hell if this is whats its come to lets just cancel music. just grazing in the supermarket.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Listeners have changed, too. Patience is rare. Getting emotionally invested is something to avoid. Contemporary pop music's art is portraying emotions. Your reactions and interactions all safely guided along the rails. No investment required. Coddling us into passive blobs of lifeless, easily manipulable matter.

version

that sucks the life out of everything though dont you find?
lists like the ones on the first page of this thread where you think fucking hell if this is whats its come to lets just cancel music. just grazing in the supermarket.
I tend to follow my nose and let curiosity lead me. If I stumble across something I like for whatever reason then I just keep digging and see where it leads. You find more interesting stuff just following the YouTube and Discogs algorithms than skimming lists like that.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
And it's such well informed stuff too. Like a guy who's read every book there is but can barely muster up a single sentence worth reading

luka

I tend to follow my nose and let curiosity lead me. If I stumble across something I like for whatever reason then I just keep digging and see where it leads. You find more interesting stuff just following the YouTube and Discogs algorithms than skimming lists like that.

we all engage with music in various different ways and this is one of those ways. we all wander the aisles and pick things off the shelves of the supermarket. ooh that looks nice. and we all enjoy it. but it's very different to way in which a movement will define what it felt like to be alive for a few years. how a period of time seems to gain self expression through a particular style of music and imprints us with it.

and how exciting it is to follow that unfolding expression in real time. i'm not saying that doesn't ever happen now, or that it can't happen now. im just opposing that mode of engagement with the supermarket aisle.

version

I've become so detached from music I'm considering putting my digital collection back on my PC the way I used to consider going back to CD and vinyl.