Albums of the year 2012

Simon silverdollarcircle

we all engage with music in various different ways and this is one of those ways. we all wander the aisles and pick things off the shelves of the supermarket. ooh that looks nice. and we all enjoy it. but it's very different to way in which a movement will define what it felt like to be alive for a few years. how a period of time seems to gain self expression through a particular style of music and imprints us with it.

and how exciting it is to follow that unfolding expression in real time. i'm not saying that doesn't ever happen now, or that it can't happen now. im just opposing that mode of engagement with the supermarket aisle.
I don't think it can really happen once you're over, say, 35 though. Browsing in the aisles is all we've got.

I mean you can be an old person who assiduously follows a young peoples' scene but it's always gonna be a bit contrived

Leo

I was half-joking, some interesting stuff has emerged over the past few years but I'm clearly not in a position I was years ago to be at least somewhat inside a scene, so it's highly unlikely new things will really resonate with me now. I suspect I'm not alone on this.

we've got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, c'mon!

luka

I don't think it can really happen once you're over, say, 35 though. Browsing in the aisles is all we've got.

I mean you can be an old person who assiduously follows a young peoples' scene but it's always gonna be a bit contrived

yeah sure, tha'ts probably true. just as its a bit contrived to be really into juke say if youre over here. you can only get the full rush if you can convince yourself that you are part of it in some way. almost that you played in part in making the music yourself.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I was half-joking, some interesting stuff has emerged over the past few years but I'm clearly not in a position I was years ago to be at least somewhat inside a scene, so it's highly unlikely new things will really resonate with me now. I suspect I'm not alone on this.

we've got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, c'mon!

I want visceral, danceable shit. Interesting's become boring!

luka

i dunno though. im not ready to totally concede that point. needs to settle in my stomach first.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's been my long harboured desire to either write an article or start a thread called "No Club Scene for Old Men".

I think I started plotting the writing of this when I was 30.

version

Nobody's arsed when anything new gets posted. Corpse tried with New Rap, I tried with New Stuff, Continuum tried, Rudewhy tried with UKG revival (again). It either never goes anywhere, or we end up discussing how it's alright but the old stuff was better.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
For me what really stings about this is that in spite of how i feel about some of the music now, some of the most transcendent moments of my life have taken place in clubs/festivals (admittedly usually while trollied on drugs).

It's like when I occasionally do acid, returning to the non-acid world is a horrible descent into the mundane.

I'd like to believe those peak moments are still out there for me, but the older I get the less I ever go out to these things (I don't think I've been to a club this year, actually). My friends are having babies and shit. And as Luka says I'm probably too old to be hanging about anyway.

Simon silverdollarcircle

yeah sure, tha'ts probably true. just as its a bit contrived to be really into juke say if youre over here. you can only get the full rush if you can convince yourself that you are part of it in some way. almost that you played in part in making the music yourself.
This is may be the appeal of improv for middle aged people wearing cardigans I think. You can feel the rush of being fully emersed in an unfolding scene, evolving in real time.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I still have a lot of private transcendent moments with music, actually. Only the other day I was wondering what was going on cos I kept getting body chills from songs.

Actually i remember now that a lot of these were coming from me watching reaction videos on YouTube.

Which sort of speaks to that magic of clubs, where it's not just enjoying the music, you're surrounded by people enjoying it, its a moment of ecstatic communion that you can't get in your bedroom...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You're never too old for Cafe Oto.

I can never go there in case I bump into luke

I've got friends (although they are increasingly distant friends) who go there and have worked there etc.

It's where i'm probably SUPPOSED to be

But for the fear

luka

This is may be the appeal of improv for middle aged people wearing cardigans I think. You can feel the rush of being fully emersed in an unfolding scene, evolving in real time.

i think so too. well, the scene doesnt quite evolve but the peice of 'music' theyre 'playing' does. do you go there? i invented doing acid there a few years ago. it makes it much better. if everyone in the audience was on acid watching the performance the whole place would be much more exciting.