Albums of the year 2012

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
For me that was what university was "about" - you're surrounded by people your age, minimum responsibilities, everyone wants to go out every weekend at minimum and do as many drugs as they can get their hands on. So you end up going to clubs a lot, on drugs, which makes the music mindblowing (almost whatever it is, really), and all your friends are into it too, you're buying records, you've got clubnight posters up on your wall etc etc etc...

(I've made myself sad just writing this tbh lol)

My point was that at that age in that social circle the music seems to come to YOU.

version

I'm going through the Boomkat front page atm and I quite like some of what I'm hearing, but that's the thing: I quite like it. I don't love it. It's pleasant. I can't imagine spending money on it, listening to it years down the line. It's ephemera.

version

I've got the previews for this on and it's lovely, but will I listen to it enough to even be able to remember the track titles? Probably not.

version

I'm often torn on whether consciously making the effort's part of it or a sign it isn't for you. If you're having to force yourself to look for new music, listen to radio shows, like it's some sort of exercise regime or your five-a-day, has something gone wrong?

luka

barty likes to point out that when reynolds discovered his favourite music he was already a middle aged man but he was still going out raving to jungle every night so it doesn't have to be the end if something genuinely exciting happens.

luka

if your life is exciting, like corpseys was, then any soundtrack will gather that excitement to itself and become transcendent. but otherwise the music itself needs to do more work i guess.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't think I made a concerted effort to get into rap music back in 2010 (10 YEARS AGO FFS).

Some ppl on here posted some stuff that I was really into and I dove in. There was so much to discover from the last ten years, stuff the old undie me would have dismissed as trash... I was really in love with it, I think, cos some of the stuff I thought was amazing back then now sounds a bit underwhelming.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Saying that, though, I think I had other peoples' enthusiasm to feed off, on here and elsewhere. Luke was really into rap music at the same time. We'd get drunk on twitter and listen to young jeezy and waka flocka songs til 7am (or was that just once?)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There are few things I enjoy more in life than being reminded that I love music.

A recent occurrence being listening to craner's new top 100 on acid and being blown away by the jungle and hardcore tunes in particular

I felt like I'd returned home

Reactions: sus

version

barty likes to point out that when reynolds discovered his favourite music he was already a middle aged man but he was still going out raving to jungle every night so it doesn't have to be the end if something genuinely exciting happens.
I get the feeling the last decade or so's been an ongoing series of attempts to collectively convince ourselves something genuinely exciting's happening. It's the Iain Sinclair thing I was on about in the Deleuze thread again,

When I'm in an impatient mood I'm just thinking "It's literally just an alley, mate. It's not a 'hidden portal'. There aren't 'codes and signs' everywhere. You live in a boring city in a boring world like everyone else. Grow up."

version

A recent occurrence being listening to craner's new top 100 on acid and being blown away by the jungle and hardcore tunes in particular
That's different though. It's old music. I still get blown away by old stuff I've never heard before. There isn't the same issue when you dig backwards.

Reactions: sus

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
There are few things I enjoy more in life than being reminded that I love music.

I felt like I'd returned home

Listening on psychedelics is the only way to truly listen without all the accumulated noise the mind of a 30+ yo has collected in the year 2020AD. You can properly connect with it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
For me that was what university was "about" - you're surrounded by people your age, minimum responsibilities, everyone wants to go out every weekend at minimum and do as many drugs as they can get their hands on. So you end up going to clubs a lot, on drugs, which makes the music mindblowing (almost whatever it is, really), and all your friends are into it too, you're buying records, you've got clubnight posters up on your wall etc etc etc...

One thing you lose with age is conviction. (Though you accumulate a lot of prejudices.)

I mean you become more cynical and world weary and you stop believing anything can be 'THE TRUTH'.

Until you take the magic drugs ofc

woops

is not like other people
of course you have to wonder if this thread only exists 'cos we're all old after too many years of dissensus posting - but the new wave of younger american recruits don't seem to like music at all - they prefer to listen to deleuze podcasts while playing metal gear solid