trilliam

Is the vid on boiler rooms site remember Mr shapes posting about it on twitter around d time. Chat room wudve been hilarious...

Nato: That Aaron Vybe mix is so fucking hard. Pure pirate vybez, could just be like a 2001 dark breaksy garage mix. And well fast too, like 130? Is Deep Tech turning back into grime again? that was quick if so lol

Banger after banger after banger

LOOOOOOOL

"GOLDERS GREEN YOUR TIME RIGHT NOW"
pissing myself that must be a first for the comfortably middle class Jewish suburb I grew up in. #Endz

Well you can rest safely now, Golders Green is definitely inside the bubble

banshee

"GOLDERS GREEN YOUR TIME RIGHT NOW"
pissing myself that must be a first for the comfortably middle class Jewish suburb I grew up in. #Endz

lol i spent a whole afternoon shuffling on golders green high st a couple weeks ago with a friend who lives there. got a few confused looks from the local jewish mothers doing their shopping, but when 'wet dollars' came on a couple guys passing by let us know they loved that track

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I love this Aaron Vybe set. I wrote that blog off the top of my stupid head so apologies for any cringeworthy theorising going on there. That's how I roll though, unfortunately :eek:

datwun

Corpsey: wicked blog! Though I do think as of yet this stuff is still much more about escaping the shittyness of everything than plunging into the darkside. We'll see how long that lasts...

Banshee: haha, wicked! Out to the Jewish mum massive, your time. That little anecdote about the guys liking Wet Dollars is great, that's the amazing thing about the UK, and why despite life being pretty sweet in Japan I'm ifteb jealous of everyone at home. The fact that dance music is actually a part of people's lives, youc can can hear it coming from windows and cars, the big tunes chart sometimes, and chatting to young (and older people of a certain generation of course, nuff great cabbie chats about hardcore raves) people, everyone has a certain basic shared knowledge of the history, the tunes and sounds they loved, raving memories and stuff. In japan the scene as a whole is very very sub-cultural, it doesn't relate to the vast majority of people's lives, and you find yourself constantly preaching why it's all great and important to people who dot really get it. That and the fact that the biggest rave I went to had just over north of 200 people and people don't know how to brock out lol. Seems like the UKs in a golden age for raving right now, I'd make the most of that if I was there!

Re: Aaron vybe. Love love that mix obviously. But I can't help thinking I wish it was at 124 bpm rather than 130. Like would you be able to create that energy with those tunes at that speed? The thing is, the one thing deep tech has which garage, bassline, grime, Dnb, jungle etc don't is that chugging slowness. Right now I'm all about the intensity of slow, rather than the intensity of fast, and I'm more interested in the tracks that explore BANG which chugging along in the low 120s. Simon Reynolds once said that anyone can break a genre's conventions by making a track at a wildly different speed for example, but the real talent lies in expanding the possibilities of that genres conventions. For me that mix is like a gully, wicked garage mix, but would actually be a more interesting experiment, and quite possibly sound even darker as a year out, slow deep tech set

NATO

Nice piece man (Corpsey). Off the top of the head is exactly what blogs are for IMO. I do find the narrative of bleak Britain a little forced, but then, I'm living in Shanghai thousands of miles away so wtf do I know :D.

Me and Datwun just had a little chat about this. I'm fully behind the pace of that set, but get what he's saying about the slow chugging thing. I wouldn't want the tunes in the Vybe set to be slowed down at all, there's such ravey-energy there and I've been missing that. The rest of the scene is full of 120-125 sets, it's not like there isn't a glut of them - there's space for this. Besides, the KG3 stuff is produced in that BPM range, it's just Aaron Vybe likes to pitch them up.

I think the Grime thing is being overplayed. What I hear is an amalgamation of different influences that run the gamut of UK dance music history. From, as Corpsey says in his blog post, techstep dnb, through to house, garage, jungle and mining of old classics. It's easy to forget that Grime borrowed heavily from the aesthetics of techno with it's raw, abrasive sounds and textures. That we're hearing some of the bass lines taking a nastier turn, is as much an indication of these influences being filtered back in through techno and tech house as it is of direct Grime influence, although that of course can't be discounted.

Anyway, I'm much more interested in just letting things 'be', rather than trying to entertain any thoughts of what 'should be'. Things are constantly in a state of flux and efforts to preserve, manage or contain a sound will inevitably end in failure or a creative dead-end. There's no choice but to ride the wave until it reaches it's natural conclusion and that's what makes it so enjoyable.

datwun

Yeah, as I say, massively feeling it, but would find it even more interesting if it stuck to the deep tech tempo...

Re: not saying how things should be - isn't that what DJing, track making, and music fandom like blogging, posting in forums etc all about? Or at least a big part of it. There is no natural conclusion, that mix is one DJ saying how he thinks the sound should go, and other DJs are making their different statements. I mean obviously there's such things as loosing battles and imtransience (people still making dubstep lol), but to a large part isn't it all promoting the stuff you like, pushing things in a direction you rate, and slagging off the stuff you don't like. You gotta have opinions or else what's the point innit!

That said, I'm not saying the set should be slower, just for me that making deep tech as hard as possible is more interesting when it still sounds like deep tech.

Last edited:

denoir

120-125 bpm is optimal for this stuff I guess (especially for shufflers) but the radio compression/lower bitrate, Perch and all the 90s samples make the Strange Static show work really well at 130 (+ KG3 is a genius). Sounds like some kind of londonized pirate radio version of house&bass with a more unique character than "mainstream" deep tech. I mean, listen to Cajmere's "Too Underground For The Main Stage" album...Audio Rehab material :) Don't get me wrong, I love this music but I can see why it's unpopular with tastemakers/ big djs, it simply hasn't brough any radical innovation yet, which is necessary in such an overflooded market. That being said, Carnao on Defected, Gone in the morning played by MK...the break through is bound to happen.

Btw still no consensus on the name? "House" and "deep house" seem to be lot more widespread tags than "deep tech"

Been reading this thread for a long while now and thought it was time to contribute! Also being a newbie the soundcloud embeddeding just confused the shit out of me but I'l post the mix tracklist instead

Some unreleased stormers in this nightshift mix, always helps having the tracklist

1. Carnao - Lose It (Unreleased)
2. Durty Fresh - Cocaine Cowboys (Plus Recordings)
3. Louie Anderson - Meow 2 (Forthcoming) (Audio Rehab)
4. Blaise - Try Again (Unreleased)
5. Jus Nowhere - Wrapped Up (Silence In Metropolis)
6. Tapesh & KANT - Ey Yo (New State Music)
7. Carnao - La La (Unreleased)
8. Hugo Massien - Myndgamez (Forthcoming) (Audio Rehab)
9. Larse - So Long (Nice7 Remix)
10. X5 Dubz - Making Love (Unreleased)
11. Carnao - Everybody (Unreleased)
12. Mark Radford & Lance Morgan - Rock A Bye Baby (Plus Recordings)
13. Riaz Dhanani - Ain't No Biggie (Quit Sampling Biggie Edit) - FREE DOWNLOAD
14. AlunaGeorge - Best Be Believing (Shadow Child Remix)

Also not sure who this is person wise but feel like they used to produce dubstep as have some connection to hatcha/rs4, this is a banger though

Last edited:

NATO

Yeah, as I say, massively feeling it, but would find it even more interesting if it stuck to the deep tech tempo...

Re: not saying how things should be - isn't that what DJing, track making, and music fandom like blogging, posting in forums etc all about? Or at least a big part of it. There is no natural conclusion, that mix is one DJ saying how he thinks the sound should go, and other DJs are making their different statements. I mean obviously there's such things as loosing battles and imtransience (people still making dubstep lol), but to a large part isn't it all promoting the stuff you like, pushing things in a direction you rate, and slagging off the stuff you don't like. You gotta have opinions or else what's the point innit!

That said, I'm not saying the set should be slower, just for me that making deep tech as hard as possible is more interesting when it still sounds like deep tech.

What I really meant was when people try to impede developments in the name of preservation/protectionism of an imagined ideal, rather than just do their thing and have their preferences. It's a fine line between the 2 and too often people get caught up in opposing the other rather than focusing on their own shit.

Though the more I've thought about it the less clear that distinction seems.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Hello chums. Any deep tech on next weekend in London? I'm down for a night on Saturday wouldn't mind catching a lil wave Friday night if possible.