REAL TRAP (/ TRVP) SHIT (SHITE?) 2013

datwun

Wasn't the whole thing about Woo Riddim about how it was using trap-y (or whatever they were calling it at the time) sounds? Same with Wut?

As far as I see it it's just the latest in the line of "B-boys on Ecstasy" which has been going on with Southern Hip hop since the early 00s. I think it sounds great, even the internet stuff:

At least, the track-ier trap sounds great, the stuff which is all bass and drums. The trap high hats are one of my favorite noises to emerge in years.

trilliam

the whole reason (IMO) grime started to flop was because of the movement (WRETCH) going over all those sped up chipmunk style beats and "spitting like dblock and g-unit". wickedest ting is them man werent even spitting like US rap (APART FROM WRETCH/SCORCHER) just not sticking true to their roots.

grime was not supposed to be UK Rap.

/

road rap was a huge step away from grime it was guys rapping without the fake american accent (JAJA) and whilst it shared obvious themes (DRUGS,MONEY,VIOLENCE) with US rap so does grime. I mean what do u think ppl r gna rap about, rust never sleeping?

the only reason there is a dialogue between the two is cause both scenes have stagnated making it NESSASSARY** to link up to try and share each others buzz/fans/w.e. IMO they're both poor imitations of what they used to be

and the same goes for all this trap, edm nonsense. it's all a follow the leader ting. i like the fact diplo has come up so much cause thats what it is. a bandwagon ting (much more so than all that bait tech house :rolleyes:), a trend that is gna come and go before u know it.

AND ANOTHER THING

grime rele dissapoints me these days having to latch onto everything around it just to stay relevant, there was a time when it was so distinctive literally nothing like it, and now it sounds like everything else

**worth noting that giggs and buck were on the movement dvd.

this is probably gna get disregarded so f it

Elijah

Butterz
2006 was a funny year. The Movements music on the forums was filed under 'bait hip hop'.

There was a kind of divide between BBK style Grime (and the fans that came with it) and Movement kinda music.

This was the peak of BBK Volumes 1-4 era, BBK T Shirt times. Dirty Canvas, Straight Outta Bethnal etc.

Skepta always used to talk about multi rhymes and hip hop beats and using American slang.

Kinda ended with this in 2008 and Ghetts Freedom of Speech stuff.

Teddy and S-X were doing american influenced stuff in 2009, that predates this stuff. They were influenced by Lex Luger tracks for Rick Ross and Lil Wayne stuff.

When we released Woooo and Bricks by S-X people said it wasn't Grime, but this movement hadn't really taken hold yet. That was early 2011.

rubberdingyrapids

the road rap and grime artists doing trap influenced songs are much 'straighter' than the bauer and hud mo variant. so thats maybe more 'authentic' or genuine at least, then its uk artists sticking faithfully to an american sound (though its not just a copy, i remember liking BBK's version of chief keef's i dont like). the latter is basically like someone else said, brotrap - its largely for a different audience, but its at least doing something a bit different with it.

i dont really have a problem with uk producers looking stateside for inspiration, its always been that way and all the genres we now think of as part of the london rave trajectory were responses to american sounds - we just put jamaican and british influences alongside them. i think i and some others posted ages ago on here how wed like to see a london-rave answer to trap, a dancier answer i mean, hopefully that will still happen, i.e. it wont forever just be a goofy, braindead twist on it. i dont see it happening for good while though, localism is out the window these days, its more just about creating something that fits into some sort of global dance aesthetic. even 1xtra had a trap segment when i was listening the other day.

Last edited:

luka

i know its bad to be a pedant but no one could have been influenced by lex luger in 2009

CrowleyHead

i know its bad to be a pedant but no one could have been influenced by lex luger in 2009

That.

I can't emotionally handle the concept of Trap, in any good regard, obviously due to the fact that I spent so much time with "REAL TRAP" and there's this awkward gross quality inside the politics of promoting trap and who promotes trap and it's commercialization in the last 2 years. And that's BEFORE this 'trap' nonsense started.

I can't actually enjoy any of the production because it's so middling. TNGHT, Bauuer, RL Grime... Even Ryan Hemsworth, who I consider a friend and a real talent, I listened to the EP, and it's trash... it just sounds like generic dance music to me with the vaguest elements of hip-hop from right now. And hearing stuff like Kode playing "Niggas In Paris" a year or so for me was really frustrating, because I know it's a good beat and all, but it's like... I know he has no place in Rap. Just like the relationship he had with Funky was kind of 'one way', I feel like now he's leeching of something because it's admittedly sonically interesting, but it's somewhere he doesn't need to be... I don't know.

But on another hand, I love Araab (& even the new mixtape, which was kinda panned by people I know, which was surprising) so I feel like maybe if there was a general... URBAN version of this 'new-trap', there'd be something of interest. I know KE On The Track and Sonny Digital have been trying to develop in this style, and it's about three more weeks until Mike Will tries this, so if there becomes an actual response from those producers to the 'New Trap' stuff, maybe I'd feel better or even be satisfied? Hard to say.

rubberdingyrapids

i dont think its fair to call kode 9 a leech. its not like he doesnt like this stuff. he just has a weakness to always be on the next new thing. its like a sincere version of hipsterism. oneman has been just as confused. am surprised to hear him playing this stuff though. not sure it fits his dark/introspective/weird/experimental aesthetic.

Last edited:

jimitheexploder

Kode9 was playing this for a while, the synths sound about as Hyperdub as you can get really.

Bugatti Boys (Diddy & Rick Ross) - Another One

Elijah

Butterz
he just has a weakness to always be on the next new thing. its like a sincere version of hipsterism

This is so strange.

Where do you draw the line between pushing things FWD>>, keeping it moving and hipsterism?

Like where do I become a dinosaur hanging onto Grime thats been dead since 2004 or someone thats sticking to what they believe in.

rubberdingyrapids

This is so strange.

Where do you draw the line between pushing things FWD>>, keeping it moving and hipsterism?

Like where do I become a dinosaur hanging onto Grime thats been dead since 2004 or someone thats sticking to what they believe in.

i dont know if sticking to what you believe in in music is praised very much anymore (i wish it was). but anyway, what i meant was that i think kode is always into pushing things fwd, as in he is always into the next thing. he is a kind of hipster, though the more old fashioned kind, not the modern dalston/williamsburg variety. i didnt mean that as a dis, hence why i said he was sincere. its a bit like dj shadow when he was doing hyphy. he was genuinely into it but it can look a bit bandwagon-ish. im not sure where the line is. esp now, when youre not expected to stick with one thing.

the diff between him and you is that youre scene-specific, whereas he hasnt been for about 7 years, since he more or less disowned dubstep. you havent disowned grime. youve stuck pretty much to what you started with, even if grime has become more eclectic.

still, he has stuck to the same ideas of keeping things diff/moving forward etc, just not the same sound. hyperdub has been diverse for a long time.

him playing trap seems a bit diff though as it could look a bit 'trendy'. that higher ground record just doesnt seem very 'hyperdubby'. it seems more brosteppy, which is odd considering how much kode 9 slated dubstep when it started to get a bit aggressive.

ill be interested to see what kode 9s own music sounds like now, as things have changed so much. hes lucky that he has a particular synth sound. even though i have to praise him for being into new stuff whether its footwork or whatever, he will have to be careful not to sound like hes just dabbling.

Last edited:

Gess

Before you lot get carried away, it should be said he played burial, older dubstep, grime, a couple of jackin bits, funky and a jungle track as well as the stuff discussed in this thread a DmZ. That's what he seems to do these days. I can see how that kind of
Mix might not connect with some people.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
This is so strange.

When you don't like the person doing it.

Sorry, I mean, when their interest is based on trend-following rather than sincere enjoyment.

The best way to spot this is to hook them up to a brain scanner and play them a bunch of tunes and see if their pleasure centres actually light up when they hear trap or whether they're actually equally excited by the Kaiser Chiefs. If you don't have access to a brain scanner you can get away with just monitoring their endorphin levels instead, but it's best to be sure before you call someone out.

Elijah

Butterz
i dont know if sticking to what you believe in in music is praised very much anymore

I dont think you can apply that in terms of music. It's a value issue more time. If you discounted what genre we are all predominately known for you could still describe what we did to someone else and say what would be out of character.

Like someone tweeted 'why the fuck is elijah playing tnght for' like I haven't always played Hud Mo records. They prob either a. werent following me then b. didnt know who he was then.

Having to 'stick to your beliefs' or not having the freedom makes for an even more stale environment.

Like I remember getting agro for introducing Champion as a main fixture in our nights. Having 'Funky' in the middle of all the Grime, now its a non issue. Also brought Lil Silva to play a similar role the last show and nobody has made an issue of it.

Sometimes you just don't like the direction a DJ goes down for a bit, sometimes they can win you over again later on. Happened with a lot of DJs I like.

rubberdingyrapids

champion and lil silva are obv grime related though so anyone who didnt like that would be taking purism a step too far. people saying you shouldnt be playing higher ground is just that ancient thing of thinking people with credibility shouldnt be playing a track after it gets THAT massive, when everyone else has jumped on it. which is a snobby, elitist thing, but perfectly acceptable. actually thats the main reason a guy whos meant to be a tastemaker/more discerning kind of dj like kode 9 shouldnt be playing it. :p

tom lea

this kode/hipster debate is pretty ridiculous. do you think paradinas is a hipster for jumping all over footwork? people are moved by different things at different stages in their lives and careers and sometimes get bored of stuff - that's how it works. i've seen kode play night and pon de floor before - i don't think he plays anything cos he thinks it's trendy.