UKG vs UKG vs UKG

C

captain easychord

you should try and get a hold of some comps..... for example:

the lord of the decks compliations are wicked. they have most of the big vocal anthems as well as loads of "freestyles" (MC's spitting over whole instrumentals unedited... dancehall style). the first one, fellowship of the mic was put out in 2002, and the lord of the decks was put out in 2003. apparently there's another one in the works.

http://www.catapult.co.uk/product_view?id=2561

also the creeper mixtape is a good example of what roll deep is up to these days. otherwise i would recommend checking out radio shows... mebbe at www.eskibeat.co.uk or cameo's show, he's usually caning all the current chooonz....

Backjob

Simon Silverdollarcircle's <a href="http://www.stylusmagazine.com/feature.php?ID=1211">list at Stylus</a> isn't all from this year but it's totally solid nonetheless.

Or you could just read <a href="http://silverdollarcircle.blogspot.com/">his blog</a>...

I'd add, from this year:

Essentials - "jenny" (refix)
Gemma Fox and 2Face - "Gone" (davinche mix)
Eastwood and Oddz - "Revolution ep"
Durrty Doogz - "Gangster" (the one that has the riff from "black ops" - might have the name wrong)
Dirty Dangerous - "Anna"

DavidD

can't be stopped
I highly recommend it, I ordered it via that email address, he sends it quite quickly and when I interviewed him he mentioned how he's the one that ships them all personally.

Oh and thanks for the recommends everyone.

Backjob said:
Simon Silverdollarcircle's <a href="http://www.stylusmagazine.com/feature.php?ID=1211">list at Stylus</a> isn't all from this year but it's totally solid nonetheless.

Or you could just read <a href="http://silverdollarcircle.blogspot.com/">his blog</a>...

Simon Silverdollar: Thanks for the info and reassurance - It's not that often that someone who is so passionate about a new sound has something good to say for what has come before. From reading your blog and the article mentioned above it's obvious that in a few years, your observations on this scene will be crucial recordings of its beginnings. So you get to be one of the ones who gets to say "See? See? Told ya!". Big thanks! I was also very pleased to find that I had at least 50% of the tracks you mention in the list above :)

A few vinyl to add:
Invade - DJ Dreddy/Cry Me a River (Black Ops)
Frontline2/Gunshot (Anthem) - Big Ed
The Regime - DJ Eastwood
Dirty Canvas EP - Davinche
Cancer - Wonder

Of course you need to bring an MC for all of these :D

S

simon silverdollar

hey davidd;

how about you send me a cdr of that reggeton comp + i'll send some up-to-the-minute grime?

if you fancy it, e-mail me at;
championsoundboy@yahoo.com

staggered dancehall + g funk synths! that's like what i always dreamed of!

mms

sometimes
No worries,
incidentally when i used to live in stoke newington about 5 years ago or so a bar called bar lorca at the end of church st that used to play alot of that funky music, they'd play em early on in the night, usually the tracks were rerub's of well known pop technoey tracks with mcing, just to get the audience jumping before they played more trad stuff.

quite lush.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
When's the 'intelligent grime' scene due to commence? Early next year?

To me the Hawerchuk 12" on Planet MU sounds very much like an attempt to make 'intelligent grime'. It's going to happen sooner or later anyway, I just hope that it's not actually going to be called intelligent.

mms

sometimes
i'm not sure how that whole intelligent thing came about, it's easier to see how it happened in drum and bass but with techno and electronica it seemed to happen more with the creation of the idm list, after the word intelligent dance music started being used in the media.

it's funny how you're saying the hawerchuk is an attempt to make intelligent grime .

I was just thinking of the potential, particularly for the 'FWD' grime, to spill out into the album orientated 'home listening' market, maybe even developing the possibility of 'Ambient Grime' (which already exists in my mind). Sort of inevitable, I reckon...

C

captain easychord

^^^^^^^^ i agree. from what i've heard the FWD events never really pop off. people just chilling, checking out the bass and beats. i mean, people don't really "dance" at bashment raves but they cause a ruckus. all that FWD stuff seems custom made for solitary listening.

The other factor to consider is that we're rapidly approaching that point that i call 'mid-decade inertia' (check the last three decades for the proof)...everything's gonna get all tasteful and mature for a while....

C

captain easychord

dude you might have to expound on this mid-decade thing you speak of...

I've been gradually piecing this one together in my warped little mind for a while now. It'll end up as a full thesis at my blog sometime soon I'm sure. For now, let's just say that Wiley will be announcing that he's gonna be working with some jazz musicians, Dizzie will be back with a double-concept-album with live orchestration and Plasticman's discreet 'armchair grime' album will be the #1 coffee table accessory...

mms

sometimes
This might sound a bit weird but often, listening to grime mc's no the pirates at home makes me feel quite angry after a while, you have to sit there and absorb all the non stop merking (usually directed directly to a "you", rather than in hip hop that typically directs at mc's). I end up getting quite short tempered .

It's quite believable that the under 18's raves turn into moshpits,and massive fights, some of the put downs are both stentorian and bullying, and even though they obviously aren't supposed to be directed at the audience, the only way i could see an audience getting into it is by absorbing the anger and reacting on it or not. Grime is really direct in that way.

I know this is just a generalisation about why under 18's raves may turn into fights, god knows I went to enough where there were fights for all different reasons. Mainly cos of coming from different schools and girls. (The best one was shut up and dance at the twilight zone in Camborne, just after they'd released Lamborghini)