UKG vs UKG vs UKG

Noah Baby Food

I don't really think chav is up there with any of those racial slurs...i don't mean anything insulting by chav. I'm 18, and the way i use it is to denote a group of people who dress a certain way, just as i would use emo, or indie kid. Or punk. Or goth. Beyond that it has no meaning. Schemie i believe to be an offensive term, chav isn't. Why do you feel so strongly about chav (out of interest?) I don't want to offend anyone.

Sorry mate, didn't mean to jump down your throat. No, it's not up there with those racial slurs, you're right...you can choose the way you dress but not what colour your skin is etc. I just have a hard time with the word personally, coz with a lot of *supposedly* open-minded educated people, "chav" seems to be an acceptable way of being snobbish about class. It's weird, having known and worked with folks who could be described thus, none of them have ever used the term in reference to themselves...it's always some other group of people. I'd just like to see more understanding between people in the UK, everyone comes under a label...works both ways I know, and this country has always been tribal with respect to youth cultures, so maybe I'm dreaming, I know... Conversely, I think "scally" is OK, but "chav" makes me think of posh folk looking down their noses. Anyway...back to the garage.

Are any of the old time garage DJ elite, E-Z, Dreem Team etc, playing any of this bassline crack? I know Cameo plays it.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
nah i didn't feel like you jumped down my throat...chav can be used in a well snobbish way but it wasn't meant like that there. I never really associate "chav" with a class thing, i've known a fair few middle class chavs. Anyway, the download has just finished, looking forward to hearing this!

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
This is really really good stuff...i'm only on track 4 but am liking this one especially. I mean, this isn't really pushing any boundaries, but i can definitely imagine going crazy for all of these tunes in a club. It'd be interesting to have a discussion about the differences between music that is perceived as functional and music that is perceived as pushing things forward. Is the labelling of any music functional simply a snobbish thing to do? Does all music start as something functional before being "elevated"? Who elevates it? Dubstep has always been club music really hasn't it? Yet now it is being lauded (rightly in my opinion) as a genre within much many new sounds are being created. yet reading earlier in this thread Logan was talking about how grime really came into its own when it moved away from the clubs and onto the radio; it stopped having to make people dance. Did grime lose its functionality then or did it just take on another purpose? But there i am going back to discussing dubstep and grime rather than bassline. Viktor, how old is this scene?

Noah Baby Food

Massive props to ya for this viktor...absolutely sick! This is the kind of bassline stuff I love...ravey, hard, rudeboy business with just the right amount of cheesy euphoria...none of them organ shits!

I still love grime, but it's making things hard for me right now. DLed that SKVibemakers Bloodline mixtape off myspace the other week...and deleted it straight away. I know they're Skepta's mates and they're right hard and that, but I love Dipset, and if I want to listen to 'em I'll draw for "Diplomatic Immunity", not that. Depressing, and all the skits about how they make the real hard street music and other people make "party grime" or whatever...but not naming any names or calling anyone out! Compare that to the sheer joy of this Jamie Ferguson tape and you can see why the yoots are crossing over to the bassline. No hating or bandwagon-jumping on my part here, just an observation.

And for those of you who like that "continuum" thingy...well, this blatantly fits right in, don't it?

Sick and mad bassline on track 9..."White boy...this is the WICKEDEST SOUND!"...hahaha!

viktorvaughn

It's really nice to hear some blank dumb rave music for a change! Thanks Viktor, you're being really generous at the moment it's well appreciated.

Yes mate, sometimes you just wanna 'get dumb/retarded' in the best possible way.

No worries about the tunage, i'm just glad people are enjoying it. I have an Agent X mix which is pretty interesting to listen to since he used to be more on 2-step and proto-grime i think. The stuff in his mix is totally 4/4, very similar to Niche. It doesn't have that kind of whiney twisted basslines that characterises a lot of Niche though.

Noah Baby Food

I remember knocking about with this girl from Little London (badman ends) here in Leeds back in 2002...her and all her mates were rocking this stuff back then, pretty much the same, not much difference in sound. And Casa's were playing it back then too (that place can be scary...sells no alcohol, full of badmen...i fell asleep in there a couple of times which wasn't a good idea..hehe). Don't know how long it had been going for back then, or what it grew out of really...it's obviously garage but it wasn't the same crowd. I can find out from cats round here though.

Interestingly, first proto-grime I had heard at this time (apart from So Solid and More Fire) was a PAUG tape off this lass, which pricked my ears up big-time. That lot weren't feeling the Pay As U Go though really...it was bassline and stuff like Ashanti and Miss Dynamite.

viktorvaughn

Massive props to ya for this viktor...absolutely sick!

Compare that to the sheer joy of this Jamie Ferguson tape and you can see why the yoots are crossing over to the bassline.

And for those of you who like that "continuum" thingy...well, this blatantly fits right in, don't it?

Yeah, it just has so much more release than Grime. It's quite dark with the relentless bass, but its quite 'up' with the cheesy r'n'b vox etc. Some of the sounds are really 'childish' in a way that definitely reminds me of happy hardcore. Yeah and I love the tacit encouragement to take drugs by pricing a can of Red-Stripe at £4.50!

In Niche it almost reminded me of minimal in the fact that you have 4 hours of an absolute constant tempo with all kinds of shit woven around that single metronomic beat - like you are listening to a single track that lasts for 4 hours with loads of little sub-segments. Some tunes were a bit euro-house flavoured (they were pretty shit actually), some had a sound palettes similar to Grime, a few had a dancehall/grime vocal on and some had a little of that trendy electro sound (you know the synth that sounds like the rubbing of a balloon?!) but the tempo was all exactly the same.

In terms of attitude it was quite interesting in comparison to Grime. At Dirty Canvas last week there was absolutely no attitude, me and my sister were dancing around to all the 2-steppers like nutters and there was a strong 'trendy'/middle-class white male (not a cuss as I fit that one million percent!) contingent. All this despite the media focus on violence. It's like that contingent needs to be there to legitimise the event as art or something rather than just a rave full of kids.

Conversely Niche, which has had no critical attention whatsoever, had the atmosphere i bet grime raves had 4 years ago - no music tourists (well I guess I was a bit! but I was also having it to the max), 10 or 12 rudeboys standing around the loos imposingly,a guy with blood poring out of his nose on the dancefloor, bouncers all wearing stab-proof vests, having to look into a camera at the entrance and those hand-held metal detectors at the door. I felt a bit wary at first but as the drugs kick in everyone was going for it a bit more.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I really like the mixing of pop/gay/euro and basslines, it's very funny. It's just everything chucked over garage, innit? Quite free really.

benjybars

village elder.
just listened to wittyboy's tunes..... absolutely LOVED the first three!! can blatantly see his grime background.. heavy!

weird how this sound seems to be exclusively found in the north... i seen a couple of threads on rwd but it basically gets gunned by everyone..including logan

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Bassline is huge.

Like Dubstep it is much bigger in terms of actual club nights and out put than Grime, but like Dubstep a lot of it I just don't really get.

I had a big argument on RWD because to me nearly all of the 4/4 bassline stuff sounds like a knock off of Bullacake by Dexplicit or Fyrus by Sticky.

It's really simple cheesy stuff. It reminds me of Happy Hardcore in it's cringeworthy cheesiness, but like happy hardcore it is loved by working class northerners as well.