House & Bass

wise

bare BARE BONES
I've never really understood this notion that by making the bass louder in a house tune you can make something distinct from house. plenty of house has a shit ton of subbass in it already, surely...?

innit, I dont like the song the amount of sub there is neither here nor there.
I do like heartlight very much however, didnt know that was a ts7 track

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I really liked ''100%'' from listening on laptop speakers but I heard it on proper speakers/headphones today and that Reese bassline that comes in for the 'hook' seems completely misplaced to me, really fucks up the track. Am I mishearing it? I can IMAGINE a Reese working there but I don't think its playing the right tune or something...

No idea if this fits into 'House and Bass' (fuck knows what that is!) but mainstream house I like

I've never really got the hype over Bashmore but I think that's cos he has never seemed remotely groundbreaking so its a money-for-old-rope thing buuuut perhaps he should be applauded for being very good at employing tried and tested techniques and sounds to dancefloor/radio-friendly efect?

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
"house & bass" is what a lot of the real ppl / producers on the scene 'oop north' call jackin and everything else that they mix in with it...bashmore, disclosure, tech house, deep house etc...

it's not really a thing is it. in fact, usage of it seems a lot like use of "uk bass" to me. semi-but-maybe-actually-not-so-useful and very general term for a sound / scene(ish) that people are currently going out and dancing to...

on a more sympathetic note though, maybe it's a good snapshot of what is actually happening in the UK right now - a good way of summing up exactly what it is that the youngsters are all vibing to over here these days. a la the flyer that nuum linked, you'd know what to expect at that night - shuffling, jackin, deep house, garage - "it's kind of just like house music, but with more emphasis on the bass"

continuum

smugpolice
Here's a semi-interesting video of one half of Disclosure describing how they made White Noise: He says they are completely surprised it got to number 2 in the charts as they thought they were making dark club music!

The House & Bass term is a bit more regular music consumer friendly than some of the other terms. Most people who are going to be interested are aware of Drum n Bass for example so H&B isn't so much of a jump to get.

continuum

smugpolice
New Insomi-fest mix by Ko Kane is worth a listen. Has got Duke Dumont near the start and then lots of top organ based House n Bass.

On a different note, was mildly surprised to find out the other day that Audio Rehab producer RS4 is in fact Oris Jay.

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
banger + free d/l :0

https://soundcloud.com/corrupt_house/lady-corrupt-free-download#utm_campaign=bulk&utm_content=track_notification&utm_medium=notification&utm_source=soundcloud&utm_term=20130425

oris jay?????? as in darqwan?? just like wonder going all techy. fucking hell. instantly further cements shuffling / deep house in the nuum and highlights futher the ol' north / south divide right now (nutty avin it jackin vs deep, dark n classy shuffle house...).

all good if you ask me...though right now i'm still backing brum.

Benny Bunter

so this is basically the kiss fm daytime playlist thread then yeah

nowt wrong with that, in fact we should probably change the thread title to something else. Seeing Rudimental's Black Butter records, Disclosure and that A*M*E*/Duke Dumont tune taking over the charts has been brilliant to see.

and the Rinse FM crew are being canny enough to get in on the act with Skream's recent disco remixes and this brilliant single from Jenna G/Krystal Klear:

!

exciting times iyam

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

so this is basically the kiss fm daytime playlist thread then yeah

i'm reading this in a sort of sneering tone right?

Apologies if not, but if so my question is: What's wrong with that? Does that automatically make it shit? I think Rudimental's success in the charts and what they've done with Black Butter records is something really remarkable.

NATO

People could've said the same when garage was exploding, and indeed did. Just don't think many of them would've been posters on this forum.

continuum

smugpolice
Nah this stuff is the new mainstream house isn't it.

Some of it is but covers more underground sounding tracks to:

Matt Thomas - I Wanna Fuck You

Durty Fresh - Down The Hole

NRKY feat. Iviee Mercutio - Watchin' Nobody (Mark Radford's Digital Boogie Remix)

Thomas Graham - Diss Bass

Playtime Productions & Majesty - Cruel Summer

Lance Morgan - Back Bone

continuum

smugpolice
Can't get enough if this track. Heard first on Tom Shorterz & Lorenzos' guest mix on Marcus Nasty's Rinse show not too long ago.

Tom Shorterz - Wot U Do (Shorterz Stop & Drop Mix)