NOUGHTIES 'NUUM POLL - Dissensus top 30 garage/grime/dubstep/funky/bassline tracks

Benny Bunter

16) Stush - Dollar Sign

stush.jpg

Benny Bunter

More Sticky. Reluctantly gave it the chop in my ballot in favour of Booo! but this gets my approval.

Do you lot want more tonight or shall I leave it til tomorrow?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
'Woman Trouble' was particularly odorous, with a big whiff of over-used Lynx deoderant and stained Calvin Klein pants about it.

LOL

So evocative.

I can't really tell what the general Dissensus attitude towards dubstep is, it seems equal parts loved and loathed, maybe with more of an emphasis on the hate. 'Neverland' is an amazing tune, though. I think people have this view of dubstep as being very stuffy and up-its-own-arse and 'boring' but the actual music from the mid noughties was often brilliant.

'Inflation' is absolutely tremendous, I would have gone for 'Need U Bad RMX' but would have been a niche vote no doubt. 'Dollar Sign', 'When I'm Ere'... I don't think there's been any stinkers so far.

I'd expect a lot of garage but mind you didn't garage basically peak in 2000/1? Grime I would expect to come out on top, other than perhaps for the fact that it was so radio/rave orientated so maybe there's not as many actual 'tunes' as in other genres.

Bassline won't get much in at all I guess, I certainly can't name more than a handful of tunes (if that). Which is just ignorance on our part I suppose, or distaste for bassline?

luka

all music from the north is shit. doesnt matter if its donk, bassline, jackin, anything, its shit. its a rule.

Benny Bunter

was saving that for the number one announcement but couldn't resist an opportunity like that! No prizes for guessing who really did vote for it though...

datwun

all music from the north is shit. doesnt matter if its donk, bassline, jackin, anything, its shit. its a rule.

Literally the opposite of the case!!!!

Benny B is a funny man! Still, that would actually make the whole list a bit more edgey, I'm (pleasantly) surprised at the amount of garage and funky so far.

PS if you don't like northern music then you don't like drugs.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

im wondering if this poll is going to be really autery. im expecting more dmz, more wiley, maybe one more benga and skream... HA@blackout crew though i think it has ruined the list. :p as for garage peaking late 90s, yeah, but i expected more early 00s dark garage. am predicting 21 seconds is in there fairly high, for sheer crowd pleasing populism/chart-beating achievement, though i think so solid made better records.