NOUGHTIES 'NUUM POLL - Dissensus top 30 garage/grime/dubstep/funky/bassline tracks

Benny Bunter

right, I'll leave you to chew on that one and the following chart-smashing 2step classic. I'll continue tonight when I'm back from work.

datwun

The list is surprisingly poptimistic so far! I wonder if there was a concerted effort to prove we're not as gloomy as we appear? I know I tried to balance light and dark tracks with my list, but I was expecting things to be more Grimey and underground...

Benny Bunter

13) Sweet Female Attitude - Flowers

flowers.jpg

original video (the best version I could find unfortunately)

Sunship remix (THIS IS THE ONE)

Benny Bunter

I ranked B-15 project above this but its still totally classic.

never knew about this MC version tbh

Sweet Female Attitude - Flowers (Sunship Vs Chunky Remix)

rubberdingyrapids

the list is a bit primer-y isnt it? all very populist, like a 'now thats what i call nuum music!'. but if benny has a longer list that goes beyond the top 30, id love to see it. top 10s/20s are usually the more conservative picks - i imagine it would get much more interesting the further down you go. got a feeling i luv u or eskimo will be number one.

also, the chart has cheered me up somewhat and made me crack out old sidewinder tapes. garage just still sounds so good.

the el-b/steve gurley remixes of neighbourhood are better than the original imo...

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Anything voted for by a number of people is going to tend to the more obvious stuff. I'm sure everyone on dissensus has obscurities and curveballs that they love, but they'll mostly be different for everyone, whereas the obvious classics are, well, obviously classic.

Kind of a cool alternative list would be the tunes that appeared in one and only one top ten.

Benny Bunter

the list is a bit primer-y isnt it? all very populist, like a 'now thats what i call nuum music!'. but if benny has a longer list that goes beyond the top 30, id love to see it. top 10s/20s are usually the more conservative picks - i imagine it would get much more interesting the further down you go.

after the top 30 there was a ton of tracks with the same number of votes, impossible to put them into order. And as you can imagine with a nominations list of that size, the number of tracks that received only one precious vote was loooooong. However, after the top 30s rolled out I'll post a runners-up list and all the individual ballots to pick over.

hucks

Your Message Here
after the top 30 there was a ton of tracks with the same number of votes, impossible to put them into order. And as you can imagine with a nominations list of that size, the number of tracks that received only one precious vote was loooooong. However, after the top 30s rolled out I'll post a runners-up list and all the individual ballots to pick over.

In which case I would like to apologise for my list basically missing all the early 2000s cos I couldn't remember them.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I think I put in honourable mentions for pretty much everything I could think of, so just leaving the top 10 would make sense for mine...

Benny Bunter

Creeper versions

Dizzee Rascal

God's Gift, Dizzee Rascal & Breeze

Roll Deep

Creeper 3

there's probably loads more out there.

I voted for this and Salt Beef. Whatever happened to Danny Weed?

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
finally something else I voted for!

kinda shocked at the total lack so far of dizzee, jon e cash, trim, ruff sqwad (seriously, WTF?), N.A.S.T.Y., and only one wiley tune. I can accept that like, flirta d or whoever won't get in, but these are basics that should draw many votes. I suppose vote-splitting is an issue but if things like pow, functions on the low and multiple wiley tunes are not forthcoming this will go from headscratching to laughable. who knew dissensus was so secretly popist? maybe it's just a bunch of the grime/generally dark tune heavyweights (slackk, blackdown, etc) didn't vote?

rubberdingyrapids

pow is probably in the top ten, judging from what weve had earlier, seeing as its a undisputed 'important moment' in grime and certifiable scene hit....