What's your favourite album ever?

crackerjack

Brille? Seen videos of the Roundhouse gig and it did look like tremendous fun, theres always WHP to see them anyway. I heard their show has a political element to it too?

Brille is the UK label that licenses them here and in the US.

The whole album has a pretty strong feminist angle, which was played out to some extent in the show. But the most striking thing was they spent a good chunk of the time not even pretending to be playing or singing (with part of their dance party miming Karen's parts), which I guess was statement of sorts about the emptiness of celebrity and the nature of 'performance'. Or just idleness ;)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Velvet Underground and Nico.

Hmm, it IS an excellent album but the self-titled one has 'What Goes On' on it, which is a) the best VU song and b) the best song, full stop.

Also, this:

images

although really it's a toss-up between all the first four LPs.

Last edited:

Local Authority

bitch city
What do you like so much about this? I got it after reading a load of gushing about it in Wire, but failed to find anything much to like. Would be interested to give it another go if you can provide a convincing account of what's to enjoy about it...

Its more of a mood album, rather than something you'd listen too for a pleasurable experience or because you appreciate the musicality of it. It took me several months to really appreciate it and I came back to it during a time of uncertainty and depression, thats when I got into it. Most of it is probably it just being music that encapsulated a time within my life.

Listening to it now, there's a sense of whimsy that comes from the melodies and vocals. Almost like everything is a dream or submerged under water, just out of reach but still tangible. It swallows you rather than takes you places.

droid

The only valid criteria I can think of is based on number of listens, in which case its one of:

Low
SAW 1 + 2
On Land

philblackpool

gamelanstep
The only valid criteria I can think of is based on number of listens, in which case its one of:

Low
SAW 1 + 2
On Land

SAW 1 & 2 would also be very high on my list, the first one was a daily listen for ages when I got it 20 years ago.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Upstairs at Erics, but I can't listen to it without crying
A Broken Frame, which I still listen to but makes me suicidal

Probably my most played thing is either The Congos or Poppy Nogood, or Cuban Linx.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
What classic albums have you been meaning to get for a while because everyone says they're amazing but you just haven't gotten around to picking them up?

For me the main one is Loveless or anything by the Stooges

droid

I was profoundly disappointed by Loveless.

The Stooges are probably the best band ever though.

rubberdingyrapids

mine are fairly typical and non-obscure (one day i will hear everything on zhao's list). i think it might be illmatic. or dirty mind or SOTT by prince. maybe here my dear by marvin gaye too. or innervisions. actually, no, i think its theres a riot going on.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I never really listen to albums nowadays but this

blue.jpg

is definitely up there. Just beautiful.

Also love 'Blood on the Tracks' (haven't listened to it in years though).

Will definitely check out other members' nominations on here.

luka

if your soul has been ground down to a fine grey paste and you lack a beating human heart then it is true, blue is not the best joni mitchell album.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Joni is the very definition of wetness, but in the right mood where that doesn't grate, Blue is a phenomenal album. 'River' is pretty untouchable, and to be saying that of a song that interpolates (?) Jingle Bells is quite something