Syria

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There are competing factors here. Trump may be under the cosh, but that doesnt mean he won't exploit a situation for his own ends if he gets desperate enough.

Putin may be discovering the downsides of backing a horse as fundamentally unstable and capricious as Trump. Then again, for all we know he may have planned for this contingency or even banked on it.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yes, it's definitely worse than the time Soviet megaton-warhead-tipped ballistic missiles were deployed 90 miles from the USA, isn't it. :rolleyes:

Certainly has a gift for hyperbole, hasn't he?

Looking very choreographed I think. Assad has had time to hide his airforce (on Russian bases) so will be free to continue mass murder with conventional weapons, and the balance of power remains the same.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Then again, for all we know he may have planned for this contingency or even banked on it.
I cannot imagine that not being the case. still bet it's hella irritating tho.

Putin somewhere just trying to have some Putin time - riding horse shirtless, doing judo, bow hunting tigers, etc - being constantly interrupted by aides w/Trump tweets.

padraig (u.s.)

droid

feels even more likely to be mostly saber rattling than it did last night, v dramatic + overwrought, tho as always what do I really know

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/09/a-saudi-princes-quest-to-remake-the-middle-east

on a kinda related note, I recommend this profile of the current Saudi crown prince to anyone interested in current ME situation

knew some of it but had no idea about kidnapping Lebanese prime minister, p nuts

Im sure Danny might have something to say about it, but the involvement of Saudi backed Jihadists and the Saudi support for escalation points to some serious shenanigans.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Im sure Danny might have something to say about it, but the involvement of Saudi backed Jihadists and the Saudi support for escalation points to some serious shenanigans.

you have any recent links?

(and on the subject of New Yorker profiles, the one they did a few years ago on Qassem Suleimani was *deep*)

padraig (u.s.)

the one they did a few years ago on Qassem Suleimani was *deep*
o word I'll check it out

ya the Saudis, craziness w/Yemen (real bad there), Qatar, internal strife. that brief wild era when Jared Kushner was the administration's Middle East point man.

there's a thing about Saudi blockading Qatar shortly after Qatari finance minister refused Kushner's dad a $1 billion loan to renovate family's failing Manhattan property

droid

What I have culled from several dozen decent twitter accounts from across the spectrum:

US, UK & France not expected to wait for further UN process. Potential targets have already mostly been emptied of Syrian troops.

Strike possible tonight. Syrians think it will come From Jordan and Turkey, not the mediterranean.

Russia expected to shoot down a few missiles but mostly stand by. Putin called Netanyahu today and threatened direct Iranian retaliation if Israel gets involved.

Russian perspective is this is has nothing to do with chemicals and everything to do with ejection of Saudi backed jihadist forces in Ghouta who were the largest remaining major threat to Assad.

The more successful EU/US are in destroying Syrian army, the more of a vacuum created for Iran to step into militarily.

Russia willing to accept a day or two of shooting, if it goes on any longer we're looking at dangerous escalation.

Of course, any shooting holds potential for disastrous miscalculation.

Serious political ramifications possible in UK/US, especially for May. Its conspiracist, but I cant help but tentatively correlate the serious escalation in efforts to unseat Trump via the Cohen raid with goings on in Syria.

padraig (u.s.)

thx for summation. ya that basically jives my impression trying to follow things

Of course, any shooting holds potential for disastrous miscalculation
yup

cant help but tentatively correlate the serious escalation in efforts to unseat Trump via the Cohen raid with goings on in Syria
na tho you gotta away from that dude, that's some MAGA 4chan tip. not accusing u personally ofc but dude come on. it's some wake up sheeple shit.

droid

lol, yeah. Clearly it mustve been in the works BUT, lets say you were engaged in a long term project to unseat Trump... the prospect of a major confrontation with a nuclear power is the kind of thing that might accelerate your plans.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I thought this was worth sharing:

"What people don't realise is that even just *talk* of an impending air strike in Syria has cleared the sky of bombers. Civilians in Idlib and Deraa today can walk around free from having to cower from bombardment. Just the potential of punitive action is literally saving lives."

Another friend pointed out - this is exactly how a No Fly Zone is supposed to operate.

craner

Beast of Burden
Over the last 15 years Sergei Ivanov and Sergey Lavrov have been the smartest guys in the room.

craner

Beast of Burden
Only Rice came close on the US side, and they both tried to romance her (semi-successfuly) although I'm sure Bolton would give them a test.