Syria

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Sure, but they have fallen short of direct attacks against Israel.
right, still irresponsible af

not trying to let Israel off the hook at all, just noting. if something v bad kicks off, Iran will also share plenty of blame.

anyway, this (via Guardian live coverage) sums up my skepticism about likelihood of useful U.S. intervention, even w/o Trump's "never said when"

droid

Yeah, saw that. Lets hope.

Not defending Iran in any sense, but considering its up against Israel and the Saudis, and their Western backed and supplied militaries who've been banging the drum against them for well over a decade, it was inevitable they'd try and strengthen their regional position.

firefinga

maybe, but how does that happen w/o huge risk of doing more harm then good?
+ Europe sure as hell won't.

The EU is so busy pleasing the Ayatollahs they sure won't do anything which could get them upset. Hey Iran is an ever growing market we need to sell em our crap! Market trumps human rights, always has.

DannyL

Wild Horses
also expecting U.S./W Eur govts to expend significant blood/treasure on human rights is a poor bet

again I respect your sincerity unlike a lotta of the lip service moral handwringing out there but w/all respect you come off kinda naive.

situations like this are already normalized. they're the norm of human history. a terrible but true fact. we don't live in some enlightened post-mass violence age.

I would love for Syrians to be rid of Assad, colonial powers, foreign jihadists, all oppression, violence, poverty, foreign meddling.

just dunno how missile strikes or a war w/Russia are gonna do any good for anyone besides Trump's ego.

Thread has jumped on a bit and I'll catch up in a sec - but I'd say, yeah, happy to own the charge of naivety. I think it comes out of desperation in part, sitting as close as I can bear to accounts and images of the evil out there - the torture, the bombings, the rapes. I'm not far away in my various newsfeeds from hundreds of Syrian voices who feel similar, the desperation for change and for justice is such that they're looking for hope in Trump's unstable tweets.

I would put a question to you though - if you concede that Syrian and non-Assadist voices should be heard, what is a non-naive way to make this happen? Be damned if I can see it.

droid

The conflict is nowhere at the same scale, but Ive been deeply attentive and peripherally involved in Palestine for going on 20 years. Ive seen the same remorseless systems of violence, the same bloody millwheels grinding thousands to dust over and over again all whilst the West actively funds and supports the main perpetrators regardless of the increases in barbarism and impunity.

And I don't know what to say. I have no answers.

padraig (u.s.)

what is a non-naive way to make this happen?
no idea

I am definitely sympathetic to desperate people grasping at any straws of hope, fwiw

either way I'm sure Syrian public opinion is unfortunately v low on the list of factors influencing U.S., Russia, Iran, SA/UAE, etc foreign policy decisions

padraig (u.s.)

the same remorseless systems of violence, the same bloody millwheels grinding thousands to dust over and over again
this all I mean by naive, btw

never want to abstract the suffering of any individual, family, community, into dry historical comparison, but Syria isn't unique, it's just bloodier/more barbaric than usual and b/c of ME oil etc, larger geopolitical concerns, + refugee crisis in the Western public eye in way that say, the Congo never was.

padraig (u.s.)

tbc danny good on you for caring + continuing to promote human rights, justice + self-determination for Syrians

just a goddamned brutally tough situation

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The question surely is not what Assad stands to gain, but what Putin stands to gain. Let's not forget who's actually pulling the strings here.

DannyL

Wild Horses
We went over this upthread - it was tactical, to drive out a group of well dug in rebels, the JaI. I can find stories on this if you want, but it's super depressing to have to rebut the obvious.. It absolutely fits with the logic of the war and past behaviour of the Assad regime.

Tucker Carlson and Fox News? Really?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Syrian journalist summing up the reaction from Syrians (who maybe we should listen to rather than foreign journalists who've become Syria experts overnight):

DannyL

Wild Horses
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/syria-gas-attack_uk_5acf1b68e4b08337adc9a5dd?3wf

“It’s the most fucked up deja vu anyone can have in their life. You see it coming, you see it happening, you were there, you were choking, you were surrounded by dead people.

“Then it happens again. Then it happens again. Then it happens again.”

Eid said every time he tries to move on with his life, and recover from his experience of the sarin attack, he is hit by a reminder of what happened. “I can’t move on with my life when I see the same murders and killing of the people I grew up with all over again with the same horrible weapons,” he says.

Guilt also hangs over him.

“I feel guilty for being safe while they are suffering. I feel guilty for being able to express my mind and troll presidents or say whatever I feel like saying, when I know hundreds of thousands of people are getting tortured and raped inside of detention centres just because they said the word ‘freedom’.”

There was a quote I read recently which was a threat from an SS camp guard to some Jewish prisoners where he talked about erasing them from history. No one would know their names, and all their suffering, screaming would have been for naught. I feel that the same forces are in operation in this atmosphere of systematic distortion, the default denial of what's actually happening.

DannyL

Wild Horses
" It seems there's a concerted effort being made to pursue regime change whatever happens."

Are you serious? 3 strikes with no civilian casualties = regime change? It's a rubberstamping of genocide by conventional weapons.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
And here we go, with grim predictability:

Russian airplanes continue to target the forcibly displaced in Idlib. Conventional bombs though so it's okay.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think in some way the propaganda gains from this will benefit the regime and Russia more than enough to compensate for the loss of military assets.