I joined a Gym

craner

Beast of Burden
I've been through two gym inductions in my life, and both were so humiliating I never went back again.

At one of them, this smarmy, orange-tanned gym rat looked at me with pity and scorn, and said, "Don't worry, Oliver, we'll sort you out."

Yeah, see you later, pal.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's a shame - there are non-condescending gym employees out there, I've met them. I guess it's hard to tell what they're like before you join though.

(NATO, I've never heard 'tonk', I would guess it fits somewhere on the same continuum as 'buff', 'ripped' and 'stacked'.)

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I will cosign most of what Corpsey and others have said about free weights>>>machines and the greatness of body weight exercises (pullups, dips, pushups, etc and variations thereof). machines are, tbh, pretty worthless unless 1) you're a bodybuilder, or 2) have a very specific need, like an athlete who needs to isolate and strengthen a particular muscle or group, or someone rehabbing an injury. you don't need to do machines to build up to free weights either. just use lighter free weights at first. if you lift diligently (and eat right!!) your strength will increase quickly (then less quickly, then it'll plateau, but that's a different issue and by then you'll be strong anyway). can't stress enough how crucial good form is, both to avoid injury and to maximize your results. so especially if you don't have prior lifting experience, learn the proper form first.

as corpsey said, squat/deadlift/bench is the powerlifting trinity. I would also add the Olympic lifts, clean + jerk and snatch, which are more advanced movements - so requiring more attention to form - but also great fun and unbeatable if you want to build functional strength. those are the basic barbell lifts, all essential.

pullups, dips, etc - you just have to do them religiously to get better. I do know a couple of helpful strategies for pullups if anyone's interested, as I know people find them difficult, but really there's no shortcut tho again, if you're consistent you'll improve.

rowing is another fantastic full body-exercise, with the added benefit of being aerobic, and a good substitute for anyone whose knees making running a bad option (or anyone who just hates running). any gym worth it's salt should have a rowing machine or two. as with everything, make sure you learn good form for the best results.

there's other great things (kettlebells! for one) depending on what equipment on you have available but free weights, body weight exercises and something aerobic are a great foundation. and tbh diet is equally if not more important. that's a whole other topic but if you want to get fitter and you eat like crap you just make it much harder on yourself.

padraig (u.s.)

some other thoughts

about running - personally I think it's essential and irreplaceable (even despite the deserved praise I heaped on rowing). I hate treadmills but thankfully, having grown up doing cross country in New England, I don't mind running outside in terrible weather (I'm also a fan of indoor tracks when they're available). YMMV. either way unless you physically cannot I recommend running to everyone. cycling, rowing, etc are all great but not really duplicate running.

in general - I feel like the most important thing about fitness, what I always say to people, is just to do SOMETHING. don't worry or be embarrassed if you can't lift much weight or run far or fast, or whatever. just start doing it and keep at it. you'll get better. and if you eventually want to do more, you can. too many people wait until their 40s or even later to start worrying about fitness and, though it's never to late to start the earlier you start the better off you'll be. also, the first couple months of getting into shape are always the worst (it's also how gyms make their $, from all the people who start and give up) so just stick with it. it also helps to try and make it fun. play some sports. find other people to work out with (always helps me to push myself I find). a lot of people find exercise monotonous or tedious, so make it not those things.

also, I'm hardly a real expert but I know a couple things so if anyone has specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.

also one more thing - before I join a gym I always look to make sure it has the equipment I need. so many gyms have a ton of useless crap like leg press machines but don't have the useful stuff that a recon is necessary. my personal essentials list is good free weights section, good pullup bars (you'd be surprised how many gyms either have none or terrible ones) and rowing machines, followed by kettlebells and box jumps. recon also helps you determine whether or not the place is full of meathead jerks (tho just for the record not everyone who lifts are meatheads, a lot of people are really cool and not elitists about it at all) or not.

Last edited:

you

craner - that's appalling, especially when you consider his job role. After tidying up weights and providing a skant and anectodal intro to fitness his main job is to make people feel comfortable and enthusiastic to come and work out. Imbuing the whole thing with shame right from the start is not cool, "Don't worry, Oliver, we'll sort you out.". You should've complained.

Padraig - second the rowing, it's a good warm up for people focusing on their top half. Also, although I'm not a fan of running, I must say, in terms of upping cardio and fitness quickly it is way better than squash and mountain biking albeit not as fun.

Pull ups and Dips are great, concentrate on form once you can do a few sets. Also don't be afraid to try harder stuff, just give it a go for fun.

Tea - tonk is like hench.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Oh, I didn't really mind. I understood what he was saying. He liked having orange muscles, I liked being skinny and going to the pub. It was an interesting experience, being shown around a gym, more interesting the first time than the second. It was a bit like being in a Half Man Half Biscuit song. 'Took Problem Chimp to the Ideal Home Show' or something.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I do want to get into running next year - outside, I mean. The treadmill is a little too boring. But I hear running is good for you mentally as well as physically.

Its unfortunate that gyms are full of twats and have music for twats blaring out of every speaker but that's the way it is - I wear headphones to block out all human contact. Actually, most people aren't twat-twats they just look like twats because they're lifting weights and checking themselves out in mirrors. But they won't pick on you or nuffing. I felt completely out of my territory when I started going cos I remembered the semi-bullying atmosphere of PE at school (I bet PE puts more people off sport/fitness than it turns on) but since most people who go to the gym are fully (and/or over) grown adults you won't have any problems unless you drop a weight on someone's foot (which I have almost done a few times).

When I started going it was because I wanted to lose weight and be active and combat depression. Now I'm just fairly addicted to going, and plus I now concentrate on muscles cos its easier than losing weight. My December binging has begun now but in January I SWEAR DOWN I will start eating good food and running and all that jazz.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Free weights wise the three foundation stones are

- Bench Press
- Squat
- Deadlift

Pull-ups are very good but are fucking hard. I dunno, I reckon the machines might help you build yourself up a bit before you start on the free weights. That's what I did anyway.

Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength is excellent on these exercises.

I'm lucky enough to have an Olympic weight training centre very near to where I live, and I've just started going there again. It's a great gym, it's been there since 1928 and has loads of old school photos and posters of guys taking part in physique competitions in the 1950s. Makes that connection with early 20th Century physical culture (Eugene Sandow! Strand-pulling!) and there's NO FUCKING TV. It's got proper lifting platforms, and rubber rimmed plates - so you can drop 'em, after overhead liting.

Trying to learn the Olympic lifts is really good fun, and if that's an option where you are, give it go. The exercises are fairly demanding and keeping strict form is very hard. I've just made my first small progression in weight on my clean, up to 45k (5 x 5) and it's really rewarding. (I am a wimp, btw). I'm lucky enough to have British record holders coaching in this gym, and they are very, very good about preventing my own twatitude - tryna do too much, too fast.

It's also great being in a gym where people regularly drop massive weights on the floor. Every minute or so it's like a cannon going off. Also seeing guys clean or front squat absurd 100 kilo + weights is really inspiring.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
BTW - it should be getting easier to find training in Oly lifts, due to the growing popularity of Crossfit. They're an essential part of it's training programme. I think Crossfit is overly hardcore and not as concerned with injury as I would like but it throws up some interesting challenges to normal thinking about fitness.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Re. pullups. Just get a bar from Argos and stick it up at home. Under a tenner last time I looked. I got up to 8 last time I went at it hardcore, which is respectable.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Re. pullups. Just get a bar from Argos and stick it up at home. Under a tenner last time I looked. I got up to 8 last time I went at it hardcore, which is respectable.

I worried that I'd take parts off the doorframe using one of those, but they work OK? That's good to know, might well make a trip to Argos...

8 is pretty good - I'm looking at next June to be able to get up to anything like that!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, a bar at home sounds like a great idea but it's only going to be as strong as the doorframe you put it in...

Anyway, I've got a climbing session booked this evening, well weapon.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
bouldering is great fun (less keen on all the ropes...), must go back to the climbing wall near here at some stage

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I had a climb (well, boulder) last weekend. It was fun. I need to get some lessons so I can do the cool proper climbing with ropes and stuff. Also, climbing girls are H-O-T.

Pondered using the main free-weights studio last night but just went to the normal gym room instead, as usual. I should probably do some proper bench lifting at some point, although I understand there are risks...

tumblr_lejrd1Zpwe1qzfvh8o1_1280.gif

muscles.gif

alex

Do not read this.
Completely agree with what everyone’s saying re: free weights, they do seem to work ur muscles alot more. Got a timesaving suggestion for anyone that’s on a time budget..Ive tried this thing where you come off from doing a set on one station and go straight to another station and do the next set without breaking, this way you will get that intensity you want but without spending ages waiting around. Tires me out pretty quick tho.

Can’t recommend working on your core enough, helps me do better and better each time I go.

The parks near where I live have all different types of bars and I’ve got to say they’re so much better than using the machines, if not a bit restricting in the amount of exercises you can perform.

The gym can be a bit intimidating if you’re just beginning, I’d recommend getting a few weeks training indoors/over the park with just your body weight first to get your muscles used to it and stuff...most of the people who go are fine at my gym though. I find independant ‘roid head’ gyms to be alot more friendly (getting past the fact theyre all much bigger)...the guys want to just do their thing n get back to the club door, whilst in ‘virgin’ n ‘esporta’ u get all the bmw exhaust suckers who r there purely just to sleaze the place up n they spend all fucking day there aswell??. Once you got ur headphones in tho, ur laughing

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I had a climb (well, boulder) last weekend. It was fun. I need to get some lessons so I can do the cool proper climbing with ropes and stuff.

Bouldering is great - it's got a really nice balance of exercise and thinking, like sometimes you have to stop and figure out that maybe if you shift your weight this way then you can cross-through and go for the next hold with your other hand which means that you can lean out sideways while toe-hooking the arete to be in the right position for the move after, and sometimes you just have to suck it up and crank harder. And yeah, it's a pretty good upper body workout.

padraig (u.s.)

@DannyL - co-sign the Rippetoe, his stuff is basically the powerlifting bible. never had the luck to find a dedicated lifting gym like that, always wanted to. have had a couple chances to lift w/O lifters tho, and it is amazing how much they can improve your form w/a few adjustments. also, forgot bumper plates on my list of must-haves when I'm scoping out a gym. most gyms don't have them, and they make O lifting so much less hassle.

Crossfit...

I too have mixed feelings about the CF culture but its basic approach to fitness is rock solid. I do hear you the lack of concern w/proper form tho tbf a lot of people are aware of that and try to ameliorate it (many CF gyms require people w/o prior experience to go to basic form classes for awhile when they start). my advice on proper form and avoiding injury is always seek an expert, like you have for O lifting. to learn proper rowing form I worked out w/some dudes I know who row at a local college. like that. as far as "overly hardcore" think that's a stereotype, or misconception - really its about pushing yourself as hard as you can, consistently, to maximize your results. some people overdo it, but some people always overdo anything. I've never belonged to an actual CF gym but I've done guest workouts at a few and it's always been super positive, people just trying to get the best out of each other. also CF gyms are absurdly expensive (even before CF became de rigeur for yuppies) and the seminars even more so, but you don't need to actually do any of that stuff to use the CF's basic ideas on your own which is what I do and have done. and the weird parts of the CF culture, not to mention the strong right-wing politics of its original founders, who cares, just ignore it, they don't have anything to w/actually working out.

(btw I first got into CF about 10 years ago. was living in Oakland and the Bay Area was the first big urban area to find out about Crossfit cos the founders are from Santa Cruz which is only about a 90 min drive. got into through a couple guys at my dojo. back then no one knew what the hell it was and people used to look at like you were a total fucking manic whenever you did a CF workout. so it's a bit nuts that now they have major shoe company deals and the CF Games are on ESPN and whatever but hey)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
OK so I finally had a proper climb yesterday with ropes and everything. Wicked! I'm booked in for three more two-hour sessions, the first unavoidably involved a lot of standing around listening and practicing knots and stuff but I guess the later sessions will be more like solid climbing. Really looking forward to getting good enough to do some outdoor climbing when the weather starts to get a bit less apocalyptic.