...:::::...::Real Hip-Hop:::...::.... 2015

CrowleyHead

@ Rubberding;

When I talk about quality, I don't mean qualities of content, I mean Louie's music sucks to me these days. But if he gets rich and doesn't die, more power to him.

But why the fuck should I be expected to revoke that consideration if he is a flawed human being? I can not like someone and not believe that gang violence can serve as a form of karma. The judgements on the morality of the art, the artists... it gets difficult considering the positioning of the listener. Which is why I have a horrendous time trying to consider writing for certain websites who do things like, make lists of "Top 10 things YG can't do because he's a Blood!". Like its fucking comedy that the kid felt the need to join a gang when he was young.

An overwhelming majority of rap's audience don't really have to feel the impacts of what you're pointing out, which is a problem. But is the problem of the music really the fact that its introduced to all these issues, or that these social plagues are allowed to fester and become practically indoctrinated in urban communities through America and a great deal of the west and it becomes something to communicate about? I don't disagree that one has the potential to perhaps avoid the ease of strictly embodying this violence, and if you're that kind of person its not mockable, but I have too much of a luxury to find comfort in judging the people who haven't avoided the habits, for whatever reason.

rubberdingyrapids

crowley, i dont really disagree with your last post, and tbh, im usually the sort of person who would advocate differentiating between the private life of an artist and their work, but i think with rap, its sometimes harder (also, this is to do both with the premium that rap places on honesty/authenticity/rapping-as-biography, but also to do with the industry's own preference for marketing black artists/rappers according to their street credentials, though you could argue that hey, def jam are the ones that put this in place with run dmc).

as a longstanding rap listener, im also just tired of the defensiveness of rappers/rap fans to ever really 'own' what a lot of hip hop espouses. not all the music is violent of course, but i feel like a lot of rap fans cant be honest about the fact that a lot of hip hop does present a lot of 'nasty' elements, regardless of the context of how these things have come to be. 'good music' can still be morally objectionable. but dont act like its not those things.

anyway, ive lost track with louie's recent stuff, but this is his best song for me.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

cant wait. real friends is so good. i actually hope none of the songs hes released so far apart from real friends make it on there. all day is cool but sounds a bit weak sonically (esp after how raw and fucked up it first sounded on the brits performance)

Pandiculate

cant wait. real friends is so good. i actually hope none of the songs hes released so far apart from real friends make it on there. all day is cool but sounds a bit weak sonically (esp after how raw and fucked up it first sounded on the brits performance)

Yeah Real Friends was the first released track that I've loved, It's pure Kanye.

Anyone think Purple Reign is kind of rubbish? Has Future's sound reached it's sell-by date?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Only listened to it once so far but I like Purple Reign as much as any of his other recent mixtapes, although I didn't notice any 'Fuck Up Some Commas' level anthems on there.

On the subject of his sound getting tired, my favourite beats on there are by DJ Spinz, not Metro Boomin. I agree there are a few tracks on there that repeat that DS2 formula.

TBH I love a lot of the stuff Future's done over the past year but I still feel slightly bemused by the adulation he's inspired. Noz saying 56 Nights is the best mixtape of the last five years or whatever. I'm not dismissive of this opinion but it's one of those cases where I wish I could hear what other people are hearing.

Hopefully it will click one day and I'll look back on this comment and shake my head wryly. 'Oh - the folly of youth!'

luka

yeah i enjoy plenty of his music without really 'getting' future too.
on another note the wire have employed a lad to write about hip-hop who is dedicating his word count solely to the Hampstead high focus UKHH scene, a scenario so strange that I'm assuming it must be a case of nepotism. The Wire pushing Dirty Dike, WTF?

rubberdingyrapids

i dont get the cult of future at all, and find it a bit weird and nauseating, but no compadre from 56 nights is stupidly good. best thing hes done in the last year i reckon.

i thought noz did rap reviews for the wire.

DannyL

Wild Horses
yeah i enjoy plenty of his music without really 'getting' future too.
on another note the wire have employed a lad to write about hip-hop who is dedicating his word count solely to the Hampstead high focus UKHH scene, a scenario so strange that I'm assuming it must be a case of nepotism. The Wire pushing Dirty Dike, WTF?

Yeah, The Wire single of the year (2015) has precisely 8,992 views. Wilfully perverse even by their standards, when there's so much other stuff that's vastly more interesting.

rubberdingyrapids

low views doesnt mean its not good.
not everything valid/good is hyped.

not sure if its 'real hip hop', but ive been listening to the new murs and 9th wonder album. not sure why, i was just curious what they were doing these days. never been a murs fan, he has a good voice and flow but he seems even more witless and lunkheaded than i remember on this new album. totally charmless. beats are excellent though so....

DannyL

Wild Horses
I can't believe there's a rapper called Edward Scissortounge.

Curious - is there any crossover with this stuff and grime, ever?

DannyL

Wild Horses
low views doesnt mean its not good.
not everything valid/good is hyped.

Yeah, true... but this stuff seems so out of time, with its face turned away from all the other stuff that's new and exciting. I mean, hate Future or love him, at least everyone here acknowledges he exists.

rubberdingyrapids

THATS what hip hop is meant to be. true school.

re: UKHH and grime crossover, i remember this from a while back -

shame skinnyman didnt do more like this.

Last edited:

luka

Kelly Thomas 1 year ago
Shit hot hip hop! I know some of these guys are from Cambridge & some from London & I think they were originally linked to the LIFE4LAND crew. I know for sure they are middle class backgrounders as my Stepson knows 1 or 2 of them. Hats off to them. I gave up on Hip-Hop a while ago but these guys have taken it to the next level. I would love to know what SMB stands for?