IdleRich

IdleRich
I've noticed that the level of debate on twitter is getting lower all the time. Before there used to be - however hamfisted - attempts at making arguments and semi-valid points. Now it's just "your wrong" and pictures like this

IMG_20231118_013402.jpg

And people seem even less educated about what is going on. They say stuff that is just completely wrong. It feels like people have reached a new stage of "fuck it I'll make my own reality" where it doesn't even need to relate to actual real world stuff at all.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The decline must have been super fast to be so visible. But I'm a nosy person, in newspapers I like reading letters pages, and on twitter I used to love arguments, watching people just going at each other - but now it's just "your corrupt" "u r a trayter" and so on, it's not even fun to read.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The decline must have been super fast to be so visible. But I'm a nosy person, in newspapers I like reading letters pages, and on twitter I used to love arguments, watching people just going at each other - but now it's just "your corrupt" "u r a trayter" and so on, it's not even fun to read.
You could probably avoid a lot of this by just blocking @HMGovt’s Glorious Return!'s Twitter account though, I'd have thought?

IdleRich

IdleRich
One thing that is weird is how Trumpers keep talking about how the world was more peaceful under Trump. At first it seemed like a joke, his voters cheekily taking advantage of the fact that Russia invaded Ukraine while Biden was president and - fair enough - having a bit of fun with that. Why not?

But now it's like they've actually started believing it. Seems you repeat anything enough times - however dumb - and it becomes true for you. So you see people campaigning saying "Simple choice - world peace with Trump or wars everywhere under Biden". And then it hits you that some people literally think that Trump was somehow single-handedly preventing a war in Palestine. Of course these are people who couldn't find Israel on a map.... or Ukraine. Or Russia. In fact most of them probably couldn't find a map either so they have no problem dismissing them and all the useless info they might contain.

Basically they've decided that stuff is unimportant on a personal level cos Trump knows it all for them and he's standing there in the red and black sea holding back the Ukrainian leadership and preventing them marching their submarines into Jerusalem.

mixed_biscuits

One thing that is weird is how Trumpers keep talking about how the world was more peaceful under Trump. At first it seemed like a joke, his voters cheekily taking advantage of the fact that Russia invaded Ukraine while Biden was president and - fair enough - having a bit of fun with that. Why not?

But now it's like they've actually started believing it. Seems you repeat anything enough times - however dumb - and it becomes true for you. So you see people campaigning saying "Simple choice - world peace with Trump or wars everywhere under Biden". And then it hits you that some people literally think that Trump was somehow single-handedly preventing a war in Palestine. Of course these are people who couldn't find Israel on a map.... or Ukraine. Or Russia. In fact most of them probably couldn't find a map either so they have no problem dismissing them and all the useless info they might contain.

Basically they've decided that stuff is unimportant on a personal level cos Trump knows it all for them and he's standing there in the red and black sea holding back the Ukrainian leadership and preventing them marching their submarines into Jerusalem.
Fact check: the world was more peaceful under Trump, and it may just be that having a President who, as his opponents regularly remind us, is a bit random makes it difficult for other movers and shakers to commit to big moves.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"The world was more peaceful under [POTUS I liked] than it is under [POTUS I dislike]" is such a powerfully American way of looking at the world, even down to the word 'under.' Like it's impossible that any event anywhere couldn't be determined directly by events in the USA.

mixed_biscuits

"The world was more peaceful under [POTUS I liked] than it is under [POTUS I dislike]" is such a powerfully American way of looking at the world, even down to the word 'under.' Like it's impossible that any event anywhere couldn't be determined directly by events in the USA.
Are you denying the reality of American imperialism?

DannyL

Wild Horses

Maybe it's *kinda* true in a way - in that Trump reflected a very American tendency to isolationism, wants to pull out of NATO, wouldn't challenge Russia etc. Not sure about ME policy but more of the same even if he did blow up Solemani (stopped clocks etc).

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
…world events can have causes other than the USA?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Fact check: the world was more peaceful under Trump, and it may just be that having a President who, as his opponents regularly remind us, is a bit random makes it difficult for other movers and shakers to commit to big moves.
Oh I'm sure a load of people about to a festival really put a lot of thought into how the White House would react.

Seems I was right here...
And then it hits you that some people literally think that Trump was somehow single-handedly preventing a war in Palestine

I actually don't know if there is in total more or less conflict in the world right now, but the people campaigning on that mean Palestine and Ukraine. As Trump's involvement would amount to trying to figure out where Israel is while juggling Putin's balls in his mouth I can't see a plausible argument for him somehow performing better.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Maybe it's *kinda* true in a way - in that Trump reflected a very American tendency to isolationism, wants to pull out of NATO, wouldn't challenge Russia etc. Not sure about ME policy but more of the same even if he did blow up Solemani (stopped clocks etc).
Definitely his best field was the one in which he did absolutely nothing cos he had no interest in it or knowledge of it. Much how like @mixed_biscuits best performance is in the motorik thread.