0bleak

I can't listen to that without thinking of the (over-the-top) Concrete Blonde version that was a big "alt music" hit from the Pump up the Volume movie soundtrack - it seemed like it got played a lot on 120 minutes when I used to watch or record it hoping for something vaguely electronic

sus

I want to talk about "Paprika Plains" because it's really a special song and all I've done so far is repeatedly link it and tell Corpsey and Kid Charlemagne to list to it.

The way I interpret the lyrics (and the music matches perfectly—floating, drifting, ephemeral, shifting rhythms) is this

sus

Joni's at a party—"liquid soap and grass / and Jungle Gardenia [nb: a women's perfume] crash / On Pine-Sol and beer." All these markers of city degeneracy: sexual performance and drugs and chemicals for cleanup, and instead of balancing out it's adding up in dissonant notes. It's smoky and stifling, she says; she has to get out of there.

She goes outside, travels in her memory back to her hometown. It's raining and no one inside has even noticed. "Back in my hometown / They [the indigenous people] would have cleared the floor / Just to watch the rain come down! / They're such sky oriented people / Geared to changing weather." She's traveling back in time—back to her childhood, back to pre-colonial Canada—she's floating off, floating off in time.

And then she comes back mentally to the party as "the rain retreats."

"The band plugs in again / You see that mirrored ball begin to sputter lights and spin / Dizzy on the dancers / Geared to changing rhythms"

A parallel drawn between the indigenous way of life—geared to changing weathers—and the party itself, geared to changing rhythms. But Joni's somehow outside of it, inbetween, at home in neither. She is always "floating off." Not "geared" to a local environment and its local cadence and logic, but floating and untethered, living in a "dreamland" of her own making.

And I think given that Joni's entire career and life is one big investigation into freedom and its consequences, beginning with "Cactus Tree" (*And her heart is full and hollow / Like a cactus tree / While she's so busy being free") it's easy to read Paprika Plains as a continuation of the theme, freedom as homelessness, as peoplelessness. The only thing anchoring her in time and space is her unnamed love: "I'm floating back, floating back to you."

sus

Anyway I love how the careful arrangement helps the lyrics communicate—when the party kicks up again, so does the beat; when the rhythm changes in the lyrics' storyworld, so does the song's rhythm; when Joni's "floating off in time" so too does the song float out of meter.

Also "shiny people dancing to shiny music" is a great line.

luka

im happy to say thats the furthest ive ever heard a musician get to a song. not within a thousand feet of a song. absolutely abject. you should be ashamed of yourself.

luka

joni made one album. every single other thing she did is cursed. frazlled, singed, outcast from heaven. despised.

luka

youre so unmusical being an actual robot that you cant identify a song from a non-song. if youo are made of metal your skin can't listen.

sus

Your intellect is usually above average but perhaps it's in decline lately or you've been boozing too much. Blue is a competent/good but ultimately boring album. Her best songs are all post-1971

sus

I have the patience and openmindedness because my brain isnt mush from drinking and doping

sus

She doesn't have objectives you nonce it's a song about feeling untethered from the world not about taking goal-oriented action