sus

But this is about life cycles, you've got to let things grow for a bit before you start pruning. Prune to early and it never comes into its potential

jenks

thread death
Your intellect is usually above average but perhaps it's in decline lately or you've been boozing too much. Blue is a competent/good but ultimately boring album. Her best songs are all post-1971
That’s not true about Blue but I do think it unlocks something that allows for Hissing/Hejira/Don J to occur. The voice is distinctly different from For the Roses - there’s a confidence and assertion that wasn’t quite there before and a quality of playing that opens up towards that electric stuff that’s to come. I love Hissing above all else but I will also make a claim for later albums like Night Ride - she’s mining her past that gap between the 50s and the modern age. And as someone else pointed out those big lush revisitings of her older stuff in new settings are extraordinarily moving.

Reactions: sus

luka

i thin that what you have to understand is that joni cant be considered a human being after blue. listen the Gus' pick. it doesnt get the point. why? becasue there is no point. why is there no point? because it is a woman without a soul. a windup toy. a mannequin.

sus

i thin that what you have to understand is that joni cant be considered a human being after blue. listen the Gus' pick. it doesnt get the point. why? becasue there is no point. why is there no point? because it is a woman without a soul. a windup toy. a mannequin.
The most backwards and confused take conceivable. Blue is a windup toy album: lots of 3-minute perfect pop songs. "Paprika Plains" is the opposite of that, it's pure affect and romantic drifting emotion unbound, untethered, unmechanical.

sus

The entire operating principle of the song is soul. The song goes where the mood goes. Whereas three-minute pop songs are perfect little automatons.

jenks

thread death
The most backwards and confused take conceivable. Blue is a windup toy album: lots of 3-minute perfect pop songs. "Paprika Plains" is the opposite of that, it's pure affect and romantic drifting emotion unbound, untethered, unmechanical.
You’re wrong about Blue but possibly right about DJWD

sus

I'm not trying to hate on Blue I just think this line of critique by Luke is completely absurd and ungrounded. You can't call Paprika Plains a windup toy when it's a sprawling 17 minute floating orchestral track, and then go advocate for "California" as the epitome of soulfulness, it's very confused. He can only be saying it as a bit. He's doing a mixed biscuits thing.

sus

Blue is a great collection of pop songs. But is it even art? The only truly transcendent cut is Case Of You.

sus

It's one of her least mature records lyrically. Song To A Seagull has more claim to lyrical sophistication and depth, and she wrote that in her early 20s

craner

Beast of Burden
@sus

I made 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter' (the song) my Choon of the Day back in 2019 for some of the same reasons you have been outlining:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
@sus

I made 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter' (the song) my Choon of the Day back in 2019 for some of the same reasons you have been outlining:

So you DID love that thread