firefinga

Liberal parliamentary democracies are increasingly being exposed as the plutocracies they were designed to be. The only truly democratic systems are direct and bottom up.

Part one is definitley correct. It's a pattern that pretty much all the revolutions of the 19th centurywere started by the Burgeoisie TOGETHER with the emreging working class and the deprived farmers to overthrow the old powers (gentry and hig clergy), but stabbed the working class in the back once they had gained political power.

Part two is rubbish, direct democracy and bottom up doesnt work, in fact you'll have some few individuals seize power and dominate the others within these structures VERY quickly (as seen in Germany's green party, being just one example). That's why I am very sceptical about those "safe spaces" regarding "equality"

firefinga

Thing is, there's nowhere to go. Nowhere is safe.

7-8 degree rise is total annihilation. Nuclear winter after an all-out nuclear war is total annihilation. They might have bunkers, but not ones that can last thousands of years.

One good aspect of getting old possibly is, I have survived at least 4 apocalypses now. As a kid, I got told within 10 years there would be no tree left bc of acid rain. That wouldn't actually matter, due to the imminent nuclear holocaust caused by Reagan. If that wouldn't work out, I sooner or later would catch HIV (or society would collaps bc of widespread AIDS) or die of skin cancer due to the disappearing ozone layer. Oh and then there was that nuclear power plant going off when I was six and told to stay in for two weeks in spring.

PS: I am not saying global warming isn't a problem, but Ive heard that apocalyptic tone one time too many.

Last edited:

droid

The above statement is true. I suggest you read some science.

Will we get a 7-8 degree rise? Not if we go on a war footing right now, cut emissions to 0 in 10 years, start methane and carbon sequestration on an industrial scale and invest billions in geo-engineering projects at the poles.

Will we have a nuclear conflict? Perhaps if we achieve the above and move to radically sustainable agricultural policies with accompanying global NP reduction - its possible we wont.

Neither of these things will happen in the context of free market capitalism - case in point, Trump's suggested secretary of state brokering a 500 billion arctic oil deal with Putin (which will literally kill us all), previously blocked only by sanctions.

vimothy

yurp
To step back from the apocalypse (and return to Comelately's question), another factor is to what extent identity politics are a substitute for something more consequential. One reason that the planet is on its current trajectory is that the left is largely off-pace: more interested in securing public affirmations of respect for favoured minority groups, it has failed to take advantage of the crisis-moment and is busy making itself irrelevant and ignored. Hence, the populist right on the rise across Europe and America.

luka

When a crime is committed it makes at least as much sense to hold the perpetrator responsible as it does those who failed to prevent the crime. IMO.

luka

"you should have done more to stop me" doesn't strike me as a terribly compelling case for the defence

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When a crime is committed it makes at least as much sense to hold the perpetrator responsible as it does those who failed to prevent the crime. IMO.

But the question is who is going to do the holding-responsible? In any meaningful way? We can all pontificate and condemn from our keyboards but what is actually being done about anything? Look at the mess Labour's in. It's just fucking depressing.

Edit: full recognition of the irony in pontificating from a keyboard about people pontificating from keyboards, of course.

luka

Well ok but I'm willing to cut the left, and myself, and, as I'm in a generous mood, Mr tea himself, some slack for not having worked out a winning strategy for destroying an enemy empire in control of the largest concentration of wealth arms and influence the world has ever seen, particularly as we don't even have single light sabre between us.

I guess you could say to all the women and various minority groups please put your struggles to one side while we concentrate on destroying the death star and then we'll talk about it after. That's what your advocating right? It might be the right thing to do, but you'd need a good salesman.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well ok but I'm willing to cut the left, and myself, and, as I'm in a generous mood, Mr tea himself, some slack for not having worked out a winning strategy for destroying an enemy empire in control of the largest concentration of wealth arms and influence the world has ever seen, particularly as we don't even have single light sabre between us.

I dunno, I mean I'm probably one of the least politically engaged people I know. I've been on like three or four protests, ever. I vote Labour, for all the fucking good it'll do them - they're trailing by 17 points in the latest opinion polls. I was excited when Corbyn became leader of the party but I'm starting to wonder if he isn't the worst thing that could possibly have happened to them. You know he regularly contributes to this paper:

czghyquw8aate5s.jpg

Note the irony of the headline juxtaposed with the story on the left. I mean, I know it's a two-bit pisspot rag and utterly irrelevant in the scheme of things, but I think it's pretty potent as a symbol of just how utterly beyond fucked the radical left is. It's got to the point where I'd probably vote for Tony Blair - subhuman scum that he is - if he were to stand again. It's actually that bad. Or John Major, he was sort of bland and harmless. I could really go for bland and harmless right now. And people in America are going to look back fondly to the lost golden age not just of Obama but even GWB.

I guess you could say to all the women and various minority groups please put your struggles to one side while we concentrate on destroying the death star and then we'll talk about it after. That's what your advocating right? It might be the right thing to do, but you'd need a good salesman.

No, you've made that up. You might be right that you might be right, all the same. But I think it's a false binary to say that it has to be fighting capitalism or fighting racism, sexism and all the rest. If I were a conspiracy theory fiend, I'd say that was what They want us to think.

Last edited:

luka

Things emerge out the mist, take form, dance before me, their lithe movements spelling out a kind of cypher for which I alone hold the key

firefinga

Not being from the UK and all but @that Morning Star piece - do they seriously call what's happening right now in what used to be on maps as "Aleppo" "Liberation"?

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I haven't read the article but the title they've used for it doesn't leave much room for interpretation, I think.

luka

It's just more manufactured Facebook hysteria. Corbyn didn't write it it's just a stick to beat him with. Who cares

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's just more manufactured Facebook hysteria. Corbyn didn't write it it's just a stick to beat him with. Who cares

No, he didn't write that piece but he's strongly associated with the paper. And people being outraged by a paper describing a massacre of thousands civilians as a 'liberation' is "manufactured Facebook hysteria"?

Fucking hell, I mean seriously. It's funny that you found some of the things I said recently about science and magic and whatnot "chilling", and then you come out with something like that.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Circulation of 12. A few diehards clinging on in Bloomsbury.

Yes, I know that. I'm not worried about it corrupting the minds of the nation's youth or anything - my point was that it's a symbol, a symptom, of something deeply, deeply fucked.