luka

this is a really great game and everyone should get involved but thirdform how can you ask people to play when you havent even done your one?!!! has to be some kind of rules of this society or it jut becomes law of the jungle! a fucking free for all!

CrowleyHead

This is cool in a "professionally" funky way? Not even being cheeky but the horns have a sort of ready for TV stab energy and the bass and production reminds me of what Laswell tries to do, and maybe he's just the less interesting version of listening to a lot of this so no judgements there.

The horns are both the least and most interesting thing for me too in that they're expressing the least amount of variation and effort but the way they're mixed in and out keeps changing and they're such a constant that accidently becomes the real backbone of the song as an eye in the storm.

CrowleyHead

lol, not my first time hearing it so unfortunately now the record has the baggage of remembering it, thinking about the time it was in, thinking about Nicki and relative disappointment from this exact time and likewise disappointment in the present.

The bass squelch when that refrain kicks in has lost a lot of it's impact but the radar-ping-squeak shit of the regular part of the beat now seems inviting. In retrospect this was a bad trend starter in many ways but I know you don't want to hear that (less out of the rejection and more just because the rejection with Facts and Stats is removing from the experience?)

Nicki's sub-par but completely fine here, The 2 Chainz verse is fine but he just never moves me. It's an immobile and docile record, weighty with bass, with self-importance... In a way I just don't think commits? Be MASSIVE and MONSTROUS if you have to be in my opinion. But whatever!

blissblogger

blissblogger?

always thought the 2 Wisemen stuff was a bit overrated - the ex-CCRU lot were very keen on this, thought it was an emerging sub-style - but listening to it now, it's exciting in its cobbled-together, not-fully-sealed-joins, slightly-off way.

looking at the prices on discogs, the track doesn't seem to be regarded as any kind of classic or particularly desirable - can't imagine it got a lot of play back in the day. the jutting ravey riffs are a bit too dissonant in the UKG context of slink and shuffle

can't get more proof-of-nuum though than a UKG tune on Ibiza

unless a tune on Quench, Dan Donelly's UKG label, or Turn U On, No U Turn's 2step makeover.

CrowleyHead

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wl5GMaoLRq8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Either Third or Barty have to review this now, whomever gets there first.

If the other doesn't make it I'll throw them something.

luka

bartys on another of his serbian sex tours. we wont be hearing from him for a while.

luka

he has to prove himself. this is basically a kind of weird hazing ritual. or like those ceremonies the royal children do in the woods round balmoral castle when they're about 7 and they have to watch a fox being torn to pieces by hounds and rub the still hot blood all over their faces and and naked bodies.

CrowleyHead

Does Third realize how shameful it'd be if he ignored this for months, throwing dozens of excuses out like "Oh I heard this already in the toy store" "Don't see why you're playing this to me when Stevie Wonder and the Tonto band invented synth licks set to R&B vocals" and Barty just strolls on in and accepts the challenge just to say "Bird's fit m8"?

luka

what we require (no shirking) is a very sensitive and aware phenomenological description of the music itself, what it is comprised of and how it operates, and of thirdforms own physiological, affective and intellectual response. listen, and then listen to the listener listening.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wl5GMaoLRq8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Either Third or Barty have to review this now, whomever gets there first.

If the other doesn't make it I'll throw them something.

er. I don't get this. is this supposed to be Tinashe 4 years out of date?

That's fine but i prefer my pop music as bombastic pseudo-innovative spectacle. totally unremarkable production as well. why do you want me to review this contented with itself — wallowing in the petty-bourgeois muck of the fascist swamp? ideal shopkeeper music. filth.

Last edited: