sus

In 4000 AD they well think of James Cameron as our generations homer. And it will all be thanks to me. I will be Plato to his Socrates. Hayakawa to his Korzybski.

luka

the flaw in, or the quirk of, Gus' method has always been that he can apply it to literally anything, shit or Shinola (in the American idiom). pour it in one hole it comes out the other ready prepared and pre pacakaged pre disgested no mess

sus

Yesterday I wrote about the scene where Kiri has a seizure. I noticed some very interesting subtle facial expressions from Grace-in-her-Avatar-body-but-in-memory-form

sus

What do we make of a civilization whose primary form of entertainment, the action film, uses as its bread and butter the explosion? The rapid combustion of structure. Molten metal. Matter mushrooming into gas plumes. Flashy, showy destruction. Films which feature extended scenes of great men battling among glass and steel skyscrapers which shatter, break, buckle, and collapse from the impact of their combat, a collateral damage? Here, we’ll see it in the swimming of the Tulkuns, supposedly peaceful, nonviolent animals, whose form of play nonetheless involves smashing entire coral reefs with their enormous tails. Whole ecosystems, entire cities, demolished, become rubble. In their joyful, mindless play, Shiva the Destroyer.

sus

the flaw in, or the quirk of, Gus' method has always been that he can apply it to literally anything, shit or Shinola (in the American idiom). pour it in one hole it comes out the other ready prepared and pre pacakaged pre disgested no mess
it's all about the interpretive grille, that's what is always on display. the "selective will"

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Having watched the whole thing sequentially within the space of one year my conclusion is that the MCU made sense as a self-contained modern epic right up until Endgame.

WandaVision
was an imaginative and fragile coda, Black Widow was fantastic, Loki was an entertaining cryptic puzzle for 2 or 3 episodes before imploding in a puff of brainless CGI and Hawkeye was fun, but all of this was footnotes and marginalia to what had come before.

As soon as you geared up to the creative heart of this new cycle in 2021 (Eternals, Shang-Chi, Multiverse of Madness, etc.) the whole thing shattered to pieces. It's been unwatchable since that point.
I just finished watching Loki season 2, and I think its some of the best work Marvel's done, especially in terms of production design, what with the mid-century modern design of the sprawling bureaucratic setting. Plus, Jonathan Majors as the villain I think one of the best characters in the MCU so far.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Maybe so, but he's far from the only one like this. When I joined dissensus first time in 2006 and read the affiliated bloggers eg K-Punk I quickly realised that if he wrote a piece, say about topic x, it would always just about him, his obsessions and how x was crap cos of capitalism - probably in that order. It didn't really matter what x was or if it really was crap

IdleRich

IdleRich
I just finished watching Loki season 2, and I think its some of the best work Marvel's done, especially in terms of production design, what with the mid-century modern design of the sprawling bureaucratic setting. Plus, Jonathan Majors as the villain I think one of the best characters in the MCU so far.
Joe Muggs keeps saying how good it - Loki Season 2 - is on fb.

craner

Beast of Burden
This has aged VERY badly.

Or have I?

Yes, but I subsequently conceded in public that this was narrow-minded and incorrect, watched the entire Marvel cycle in order and compared it to Homer and Chaucer.

So it seems a bit unfair to pick up on this now, Jack.

• Love
Reactions: sus

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
What do we make of a civilization whose primary form of entertainment, the action film, uses as its bread and butter the explosion? The rapid combustion of structure. Molten metal. Matter mushrooming into gas plumes. Flashy, showy destruction. Films which feature extended scenes of great men battling among glass and steel skyscrapers which shatter, break, buckle, and collapse from the impact of their combat, a collateral damage?

IMG_2534.gif

• Haha
Reactions: sus

sufi

lala
What do we make of a civilization whose primary form of entertainment, the action film, uses as its bread and butter the explosion? The rapid combustion of structure. Molten metal. Matter mushrooming into gas plumes. Flashy, showy destruction. Films which feature extended scenes of great men battling among glass and steel skyscrapers which shatter, break, buckle, and collapse from the impact of their combat, a collateral damage? Here, we’ll see it in the swimming of the Tulkuns, supposedly peaceful, nonviolent animals, whose form of play nonetheless involves smashing entire coral reefs with their enormous tails. Whole ecosystems, entire cities, demolished, become rubble. In their joyful, mindless play, Shiva the Destroyer.
Yeah i was wondering about films that use CGI/FX etc for non-destructive spectacles. Maybe that's a thread itself?
(I mean obvs there is avatar and LOTR etc but i mean non-crap examples of...) films that use cinematic magic more creatively?