Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah i was wondering about films that use CGI/FX etc for non-destructive spectacles. Maybe that's a thread itself?
(I mean obvs there is avatar and LOTR etc but i mean non-crap examples of...) films that use cinematic magic more creatively?
At the monster truck rally I just attended (I just attended a monster truck rally) the one thing I found conspicuously lacking was explosions, the lack itself being probably the only unamerican aspect of the affair.

Reactions: sus

sus

At the monster truck rally I just attended (I just attended a monster truck rally) the one thing I found conspicuously lacking was explosions, the lack itself being probably the only unamerican aspect of the affair.
I also attended the Monster Glow Party Rally recently at Barclays. What did you make of your experience? I couldn't believe how loud a stadium full of 6-year-olds can scream. Blood-curdling hair-raising hearing-damaging.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I also attended the Monster Glow Party Rally recently at Barclays. What did you make of your experience? I couldn't believe how loud a stadium full of 6-year-olds can scream. Blood-curdling hair-raising hearing-damaging.
Yeah it was a revelation for me too. One of my housemates commented that the whole event was optimised for small children, what with the goofy contender names (our match (?) was won by Bakugan Dragoinoid) and truck costumes.

Anyway, I had never felt so American in my life a bracing feeling indeed.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
yes that's a cartoon tho
i guess everything everywhere fits the bill in some respects, possibly quite deliberately
So in terms of live-action CGI and SFX and whatnot, one example of a huuuge production which I found to be visionary, as far as blockbusters go, was Mad Max: Fury Road.

I've seen and enjoyed the previous films in the franchise, but this was the first one, in my opinion, to blow the film up to more majestic proportions. Of course, while there is a good amount of CGI in this film, most of the impressive stuff are the physical vehicles and costumes and set decorations.

You seen this one sufi?

sufi

lala
So in terms of live-action CGI and SFX and whatnot, one example of a huuuge production which I found to be visionary, as far as blockbusters go, was Mad Max: Fury Road.

I've seen and enjoyed the previous films in the franchise, but this was the first one, in my opinion, to blow the film up to more majestic proportions. Of course, while there is a good amount of CGI in this film, most of the impressive stuff are the physical vehicles and costumes and set decorations.

You seen this one sufi?
yeah i have seen some parts of it

craner

Beast of Burden
I saw some of Civil War the other day and it was already starting to feel quite dated.

That's the Devil's Pact with CGI

Then again, like with any materials, it really depends how well you use it. The CGI in the first Jurassic Park still looks fantastic. Whereas the sharks in Deep Blue Sea in some way look even worse than 'Bruce'

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
CGI can age horribly but I think if the story/characters and direction is good enough you will easily overlook shit looking effects.

Possibly a bad example because it's ALL CGI but the first 'Toy Story' now looks primitive in comparison to modern Pixar films but it's still a classic.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Jurassic Park has that scene with the brachiosaurus wherein said brachiosaurus looks very dated but because of the way we build up to the characters seeing it and the swelling score etc. and somehow the way they animated it it still fills me with a sense of wonder and makes me want to cry hot salty manchild tears.

craner

Beast of Burden
Jurassic Park has that scene with the brachiosaurus wherein said brachiosaurus looks very dated but because of the way we build up to the characters seeing it and the swelling score etc. and somehow the way they animated it it still fills me with a sense of wonder and makes me want to cry hot salty manchild tears.

Trust you to bring up the bloody brachiosaurus

mixed_biscuits

Possibly a bad example because it's ALL CGI but the first 'Toy Story' now looks primitive in comparison to modern Pixar films but it's still a classic.
At least in an animated film everything looks the same rather than the CGI in every other film that just looks someone's opened a tab with some crappy computer game they've been playing.

mixed_biscuits

AFAIK the CGI was meticulously adjusted until it looked as damn near real as they could get it, rather than just expecting that a certain tech spec or budget would magically do the same.

mixed_biscuits