My trusted source (Hundred Million Lifetimes) has provided me with a photo of Droid hard at work on horseback

164741-1413261070805.jpeg

sadmanbarty

I know I've asked this sort of thing a lot before but with road rap, say, where are the spaces/lines of communication?

Are there forums, magazines, hubs? Or is it all Youtube/Facebook/Twitter?

youtube is where the music's being heard, i guess the comments and twitter is where it's being discussed and snapchat's where artists post endless videos of themselves either driving through opp territory or using their own prison cell bed frame as a barbecue apparatus.

sadmanbarty

Obviously I don't listen to enough drill or don't listen closely enough cos it just sounds like trap to me... (doubly confusing as chicago drill is being included in 'trap' there)

*boring rhythm talk ahead*

trap is ostensibly around 60-70 bpm and when counted at that tempo the drums are pretty generic (snare on the 2 and 4, etc.). however the hi hats and the other instrumentation often imply it's at double speed (meaning the snares are now on the 3). i think reynolds says that jungle does the same thing; implies two tempos.

what uk drill does is have the drums doing both tempos. with the kick/boom and clack sounds it'll map out a trap beat in the background, while the snares will play dancehall/afrobeats style tresillo rhythms at double the speed.

luka

incidentally in the brand new issue of the Wire, Michaelangelo Matos has done a Primer to UK Pirate Radio DJ Sets, starting around 1988 and going through to the end of the 2000s. He's done a good job framing the evolution and found a lot of gems, drawing on his formidable resources of obsessive-compulsiveness and sifting through what seems to have been an insane number of contenders

incidentally if youre as familiar with the reynolds oevre as i am youll understand this means
"lol wtf why are they getting this wierdo dweeb to write about my subject? hes not even english. and he only knows about this stuff from reading me anyway fucking sort it out derek"

luka

Because reggae became the dominant caribbean music in the UK from the late 60s onwards. Both in terms of the mainstream charts and also in terms of the subculture.

Reggae soundsystems all over London http://uncarved.org/dub/splash/directory.html

Also reggae record shops.

Soca and calypso were around but a bit of a sideshow.

UK reggae artists:

Mad Professor (Guyana)
Dennis Bovell (Barbados)
Eddy Grant (Guyana)

Plus a bunch I've forgotten - didn't matter where you were from, rasta and reggae where the main thing for black youth in the 70s and onwards (then dancehall, then hip hop).

it was a largely rhetorical question but there's no harm in answering it.

luka

probably still fair to say south-east london is the heartland of african london, albeit not to the extent it was in the early 00s.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
*boring rhythm talk ahead*
fwiw I at least am infinitely more interested in nuts+bolts rhythm talk than rehashing is/isn't nuum for the nth time

my understanding is that the bassline in jungle usually runs halftime to the drums? or the drums run double-time to the bass, to put it the other way. I'm sure snare/hi-hat/kick placement also plays a role in implying two tempos tho I couldn't tell you how. I seem iirc something about a hallmark of 2-step being the hi-hat keeping time while the kick does syncopated patterns, triplets, whatever? actually, barty or droid or someone, what actually keeps time in jungle? is there even a central rhythmic element in jungle the way the kick marks time in disco/house, or no?

these are pretty basic question I guess. idk I play drums basically by feel, I can't really break down more complex rhythmic things.

would be happy to have a thread just devoted to rhythm/drums talk btw, if there was sufficient interest

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i hated it when corpsey did that

i know. such a sweet boy. but i can't help but hold him entirely responsible.

Seriously tho i was a bit agitated last night, don't take it personal anyone. gotta release the demons sometimes. anger is the only therapy.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
For me personally it will always come back to the DJs. The birth of any scene worth talking about ....before DJs in turn go on to fuck it up. Things are probably healthy as they have ever been in that regard but the old conditions and potential will probably never exist ways it once did.

The particular dynamism of the hardcore continuum came from the unstable squashing together of the different people / attitudes / traditions that got pulled into hardcore. Its history since then has basically been separation and stratification and gradual dispersal of potential energy - everyone pulling out the elements of hardcore / jungle that they liked and settling into smaller and more stable scenes, which might still be good, but lack the original constant what-the-fuck inventiveness.

It is interesting to think of this in terms of conversations happening either inward, outwardly or otherwise.

Jungle was an inward conversation about jazz, hiphop and techno through a reggae frame, while in itself sat alongside broad trends in hiphop and house as things got more siloed. On the sonic level it could even mirror a decline of overt sampling as the 90s progressed and that everything-in-the-pot nature slipped away. You could hear the same vocal hook across dozens of records in different scenes in 1994 but numm-wise everything after, with possibly the exception of broken beat (which incidentally did take other West Indian / African / South American influence) were having very different one way and only partial conversations with Detroit, Chicago and NYC.

Garage was house conversation with jungle before rnb and grime wasn't speaking about techno at all. North American influence in dubstep came through a European backdoor like the Belgian stuff had previously and in turn had an outward effect on European techno.

West Indian influence is running the US charts now in interesting ways it hasn't done since a couple of records from the nineties? Maybe there is a certain homogeneity in what gets heard but there is a feedback loop running there between US, London, Lagos and Kingston which seems to be the big conversion of these times.

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

interested in this double/half-time idea/two tempos idea in general, seems to combine the functional, aesthetic + almost philosophical if that makes sense

luka

fwiw I at least am infinitely more interested in nuts+bolts rhythm talk than rehashing is/isn't nuum for the nth time

my understanding is that the bassline in jungle usually runs halftime to the drums? or the drums run double-time to the bass, to put it the other way. I'm sure snare/hi-hat/kick placement also plays a role in implying two tempos tho I couldn't tell you how. I seem iirc something about a hallmark of 2-step being the hi-hat keeping time while the kick does syncopated patterns, triplets, whatever? actually, barty or droid or someone, what actually keeps time in jungle? is there even a central rhythmic element in jungle the way the kick marks time in disco/house, or no?

these are pretty basic question I guess. idk I play drums basically by feel, I can't really break down more complex rhythmic things.

would be happy to have a thread just devoted to rhythm/drums talk btw, if there was sufficient interest

i remember years ago dissensus tried to do with (with 2-step) and i showed it to one of my musician mates and said does this make any sense and he cracked up laughing and said, no, none whatsoever.

mind you we didnt have top sesion drummer barty in the fold then (has worked with the wombats, stereophonic and baby bird)

padraig (u.s.)

Eddy Grant (Guyana)
bit of a stretch to call him reggae proper no? not disputing your main point, it's actually interesting cos he's a dude who was fusing multiple (largely) Black British things together - reggae, disco, jazz funk, etc - with white musics. usually nuum discussions focus on the techno meets reggae + breakbeats narrative, soundsystems, junglists with roots as breakdancing electro era bboys, etc but every so often someone mentions jazz-funk + rare groove, which clearly those dudes grew up listening to, from the proliferation of samples in jungle.

this absolutely great, full-on proto-house tune is from 1977! always been a v forward dude, from The Equals on down

droid

Ive been banging the double tempo drum for about a decade now, a unique innovation in jungle, made possible by the jump in tempo from the 130's-140's from hardcore to the 160's of jungle. I dont think there's anything else like it dance music. You really start to hear it once things begin to hit 150 or so as there's a ton of dub and reggae at this tempo (70's).

There's nothing mysterious about 2 step, the snare is almost always on the 2, with a some slight variation on the 4. The kick is almost always at the start of the bar (though you may have some variation, delay or repeats in the second half - the magic is all in the swing of the hats.

There isnt really a common rhythmic element in jungle, sometimes tunes lead with the snares, others with the kicks, but one thing thats noticeable if you listen for it is that the majority of jungle tunes tend to have a kick (or sometimes a snare) on the first beat and/or a snare on the 2 & the 4, its the stuff around it that breaks up and transforms the rhythm. Obv the later you get the shorter the phrases get, so where you might once have a had a drum pattern that took 4 or more bars to resolve only takes 1 or 2.

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

the 130's-140's from hardcore to the 160's of jungle
I assume this is why hardcore can actually feel considerably more frenetic despite being slower - the bass running at the same time as the drums

(one of the reasons anyway, aside from chipmunk vox, rave stabs, anything goes sampling/production, general e'd up vibes, etc)

"swing" seems like one of those abstract rhythmic concepts no one can actually properly explain, tho I'm sure that's wrong + I've just heard never anyone properly explain it