craner

Beast of Burden
Have never watched Game of Thrones either and do not intend to. Maybe I will restrict myself to resurrecting the Eurotrash Film Thread, my principle area of Dissensus expertise left!

sufi

lala
I sort of agree with the Droid/Eden critique.
I personally don't
I don't mind the fast moving threads, & can take or leave the longer stuffier ones, & i think the momentum/churn created by the snappy threads keeps the place fresh
It's not nice to maliciously derail other people's threads but its a fine line as derailment is more often worthwhile.

visions of what dissensus future looks like are very helpful

also have never watched GoT, & spent quite a long time confused by the title of the thread about it

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, maybe you're right Sufi. There is an entertainment factor for sure, but I was starting to wonder, entertaining for who? It veers wildly between brilliance and embarrassment. And maybe that's not even important or an issue at all.

craner

Beast of Burden
This seems to be an addictive and even personalised space for a diminishing hardcore cadre.

craner

Beast of Burden
An awful lot of (and now long) history to simply cut off, however ridiculous our online profiles have become, a parallel identity that has a half-life in reality.

craner

Beast of Burden
Bet Corpsey is really pleased he spurred this Dissensus existential crisis! Nice one, Corps!

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm going to rewatch 'Moonstruck' now, the perfect movie encapsulation of Luke's thesis as clarified above ^^

Leo

maybe it is a "game of thrones" thing, because i too have never watched it. us against them, it seems.

sufi

lala
amongst all the snarfing and snarking there have been some really good threads recently

next thread: "which dissensus post you regret most" - starts off navel gazing, within 3 pages solving the gnarliest problems of 21st century ethnolinguistics & 22nd century identity politics

version

A 20 page thread on 'Feminine Pressure' consisting almost entirely of men insulting each other isn't a great advertisement, but it is moderately entertaining.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

luka

im taking on board all this feedback. i want to be the best leader i can be and if that means sucking up criticism then thats what i will do and i will emerge as an even better leader of you lot than i was before. its all part of the process.

luka

i dont want to be known as a tinpot tyrant i want to be appreciated as a ruler that listens to his petitioners and cares about even the lowliest amongst you.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

luka

i personally think the board needs much more craner. surely that's one thing we can all agree on?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Craner and Martin

I've really been hammering away on here lately cos I'm doing a boring office job where I'm not being closely watched. It's become more like a chat room than a forum sometimes.

luka

i dont want poor old leo to feel overwhelmed. and i dont want droid to feel excluded from the circle of love. but i also want a fast moving, lively forum, with a palpable energy where people are free to have a laugh and poke fun at things as well as being equally free to be as pretentious and pseudo-profound as possible.

sadmanbarty

it’s a shame this conversation came out of what droid said, because it positively reinforces the kind behaviour he should be embarrassed about. i’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume there’s something in his personal life which he’s venting here (probably the best place for it really)

though I can totally understand not liking the in-jokes, i’m a bit surprised by people not liking the general direction of dissensus. it’s been the most stimulating it’s been since i showed up. we’ve had lots of substantive conversations recently; the validity of grime albums, the validity of the doors, the innovativeness of atlanta rap in last few years, the decline of dancehall, the decline of the hardcore continuum, how mediums give different contexts to music, some industrial or punk stuff i know nothing about, how the aesthetic polarities of masculine and feminine are expressed, some rhythm stuff, the nature of locality in music, the mentality behind disregarding mc’s, the time barrier, etc. lurkers have been coming back, people are posting a lot more, conversations are being had and sustained rather than just a choon of the day every now and then.

as far as the long-post style thing goes, i’m not such a big fan. it can err on the side of pseudo-intellectual (this genuinely isn’t a passive aggressive jab at anyone). saying quick things off-handedly tends to be more revealing than being elaborate and considered. doing the former opens all sorts of paths of discussions. doing the latter leads you down the path of saying things that people have said before or even worse, not really saying anything at all.

in terms of it being too personal i tend to think people and their relationships with each other are richer than their ideas about things a lot of the time. also it makes it more fun, it’d a be a bit dry without it. but i can understand how that’s a personal taste.

not saying it should be exactly how it's been recently, but i don't want to lose the momentum. there's been times where it's moribund.

ps. never seen game of thrones and have no intention of doing so