Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
they were on record saying that they didn't want to see the fall of the ussr. which was overtaken by the resurgence of russian nationalism which precipitated its collapse. which then places the newly independent state of ukraine (after it gave up its nuclear weapons, and with its proximity to Russian gas pipelines and control over the black sea and strategically important sevastopol port) front and centre in a geopolitical struggle between europe and russia.
In retrospect, the smart thing for Western leaders to have done in 91 would have been to recognise Ukraine as the successor state to the USSR and politely asked Yeltsin to send thr Ukrainian government all the nukes stationed in Russia.

mixed_biscuits

In retrospect, the smart thing for Western leaders to have done in 91 would have been to recognise Ukraine as the successor state to the USSR and politely asked Yeltsin to send thr Ukrainian government all the nukes stationed in Russia.
But then Putin would have just been President of Ukraine.

germaphobian

I can only keep repeating my Eastern Euro spiel that English really, really do underestimate the Russian threat. I mean, I get it in a way, since England has been blessed with geographical location it has and it hasn't come under much outside pressure in a long, long time, but those stated facts have lead to all kinds of delusions.
Ok, maybe it's better to put it this way - if Putin's stratagem works, I can easily imagine Russian nukes raining down on London; some of my English friends have thought me crazy for saying that, but when you go through the present situation step by step, when you consider final Russian ambitions, it does make complete sense.
I mean, again, I get it why on a purly empirical level people don't see it in that light, because you have to go bit mad to consider that, but that's essentially the reality of the situation.
Peter Zeihan, who's been very far sighted when it comes to this particular conflict, even said that Russian nukes obliterating major US cities is not a far-off possibility.
I find this Western Euoropean blidness and glibness concerning, because, to press a bit on where it hurts, history won't be decided by analyzing rave records and movies, that's the kind of luxury what you get after oceans of blood been spilled.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I can only keep repeating my Eastern Euro spiel that English really, really do underestimate the Russian threat. I mean, I get it in a way, since England has been blessed with geographical location it has and it hasn't come under much outside pressure in a long, long time, but those stated facts have lead to all kinds of delusions.
Ok, maybe it's better to put it this way - if Putin's stratagem works, I can easily imagine Russian nukes raining down on London; some of my English friends have thought me crazy for saying that, but when you go through the present situation step by step, when you consider final Russian ambitions, it does make complete sense.
I mean, again, I get it why on a purly empirical level people don't see it in that light, because you have to go bit mad to consider that, but that's essentially the reality of the situation.
Peter Zeihan, who's been very far sighted when it comes to this particular conflict, even said that Russian nukes obliterating major US cities is not a far-off possibility.
I find this Western Euoropean blidness and glibness concerning, because, to press a bit on where it hurts, history won't be decided by analyzing rave records and movies, that's the kind of luxury what you get after oceans of blood been spilled.
I agree completely with this. I don't know about nukes (I assume we have a functional deterrent) but Russia is an aggressive expansionist power and a huge threat to the peace and prosperity of its neighbours. It's psychopathy writ large and the only thing it responds to is force, not diplomacy. Maybe all states are psychopathic in a way, but it's very clear with Russia if you look at its actions in this war and in other theatres.

Wasn't joking above when I said it's reasonably likely that Starmer will be a wartime leader. That's where this is heading in the next few years.

germaphobian

I agree completely with this. I don't know about nukes (I assume we have a functional deterrent) but Russia is an aggressive expansionist power and a huge threat to the peace and prosperity of its neighbours. It's psychopathy writ large and the only thing it responds to is force, not diplomacy. Maybe all states are psychopathic in a way, but it's very clear with Russia if you look at its actions in this war and in other theatres.

Wasn't joking above when I said it's reasonably likely that Starmer will be a wartime leader. That's where this is heading in the next few years.

There's also an extreme propoganda effort now to show Russia an as regional power which only wants to maintain its dominance around the national borders, that's nothing but bollocks and people who toe that line will probably have a special place in hell. It is an ALL IN situation at this point, the real problem is convincing people about the seriousness of the issue.

droid

What are you two talking about? They have an economy smaller than Canada, their military spend is around $66 billion compared to NATO's $363 billion and they cant even win a proxy war against Ukraine FFS.

droid

Actually scratch that, those numbers must be old - the disparity is even greater than I imagined. Even European military spending alone dwarfs Russia.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 12.54.27.png

DannyL

Wild Horses
What are you two talking about? They have an economy smaller than Canada, their military spend is around $66 billion compared to NATO's $363 billion and they cant even win a proxy war against Ukraine FFS.
Not rn, in a few years time, if they win in Ukraine and have the opportunity to rearm and consolidate (incorporating the profits from Ukrainian agriculture, providing they don't just destory everything. Especially if Trump quits NATO.