DannyL

Wild Horses
What are you two talking about? They have an economy smaller than Canada, their military spend is around $66 billion compared to NATO's $363 billion and they cant even win a proxy war against Ukraine FFS.
At the minute, the failure to arm Ukraine is leading to battlefield gains for Russians. Where will we be if this continues for another 6 months? 15 million Ukrainian refugees will be heading West for a start.

droid

OK, so your theses is, that if Russia somehow makes a spectacular turnaround in Ukraine, and if they have years, or decades of prosperity to reorient and revitalise their entire economy and increase military spending by a factor of 10 to 15 to compete with NATO forces, whilst also occupying hostile territory in Ukraine, then they will then somehow turnaround and conquer the rest of Europe?

Russia is a threat and Putin is a piece of shit, but this is just utter fantasy.

droid

At the minute, the failure to arm Ukraine is leading to battlefield gains for Russians. Where will we be if this continues for another 6 months? 15 million Ukrainian refugees will be heading West for a start.
This is precisely why there should be a ceasefire, in fact, its why there should have been a ceasefire a year ago.

DannyL

Wild Horses
OK, so your theses is, that if Russia somehow makes a spectacular turnaround in Ukraine, and if they have years, or decades of prosperity to reorient and revitalise their entire economy and increase military spending by a factor of 10 to 15 to compete with NATO forces, whilst also occupying hostile territory in Ukraine, then they will then somehow conquer the rest of Europe?
First off - if Ukraine loses (which we're now discussing as a possibility in a way we ween't a few months ago) it'll be a huge propaganda victory for authoritarian states and a moral crisis for the West which will no doubt be cheered on by the usual shower of cunts and wankers. In this new space, Russia will absolutely push against the boundaries of NATO states, taking advantage of our perceived weakness. Years more disinfo, dodgy money, corruption, undermining, across the whole of the EU but now bolstered by a military victory. Boundary testing in Poland most probably? Idk why you think this can't/won't happen.

droid

First off - if Ukraine loses (which we're now discussing as a possibility in a way we ween't a few months ago) it'll be a huge propaganda victory for authoritarian states and a moral crisis for the West which will no doubt be cheered on by the usual shower of cunts and wankers. In this new space, Russia will absolutely push against the boundaries of NATO states, taking advantage of our perceived weakness. Years more disinfo, dodgy money, corruption, undermining, across the whole of the EU but now bolstered by a military victory. Boundary testing in Poland most probably? Idk why you think this can't/won't happen.
A 'moral crisis' for the west? Do you mean the same west that's currently arming a fascist ethnostate as it openly commits one of the worst acts of genocide in modern history?

DannyL

Wild Horses
A 'moral crisis' for the west? Do you mean the same west that's currently arming a fascist ethnostate as it openly commits one of the worst acts of genocide in modern history?
What's going on in Israel provokes one kind of crisis (or it should do). I don't know what will emerge from that in the long term.
A democratic ally losing militarily against an aggressor state on the edge of Europe will provoke another. I think the latter will have bigger consequences.

version

What's going on in Israel provokes one kind of crisis (or it should do). I don't know what will emerge from that in the long term.
A democratic ally losing militarily against an aggressor state on the edge of Europe will provoke another. I think the latter will have bigger consequences.

Yeah, the difference is that complicity with Israel is the West's policy, whereas the destruction of Ukraine isn't. They can both be moral failings, but only one's according to plan.

germaphobian

Emphatically speaking, I can understand your point of view, but - no offence - what you're essentially doing is looking at abstract numbers on a computer screen.
I'm quite sure that Germany's budget before WW2 also dwarfed in comparison with the combined budget of the rest of the rest of Western world.
What I mean is that Russia has many other factors playing in its favour, first of all - it's pretty much an autarky, except in a technological sense, but even that, due to Western complacency, is being circumvented; then, more importantly, a massive, uneducated, obedient populatian who is ready to die for any kind of stupidity. Not just to die, but also to suffer a prolonged hardship based on an abstract principle, like national honour or something like that.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah, the difference is that complicity with Israel is the West's policy, whereas the destruction of Ukraine isn't. They can both be moral failings, but only one's according to plan.
Yeah that's accurate though I don't think the current unfolding catastrophe is "according to plan" though.

droid

Emphatically speaking, I can understand your point of view, but - no offence - what you're essentially doing is looking at abstract numbers on a computer screen.
I'm quite sure that Germany's budget before WW2 also dwarfed in comparison withe the combined budget of the rest of the rest Western of world.
What I mean is that Russia has many other factors playing in its favour, first of all - it's pretty much an autarky, except in a technological sense, but even that, due to Western complacency, is being circumvented; then, more importantly, a massive, uneducated, obedient who is ready to die for any kind of stupidity. Not just to die, but also to suffer a prolonged hardship based on an abstract principle, like national honour or something like that.
pp7c5khh52kz.png

I suggest you look at Russian history. 1905 Russo/Japanese war = revolution. 1917 WW1 = revolution. 1980's Afghanistan = collapse of USSR.

droid

Economic capability and military spending are not abstract numbers, they are literally the most consequential factors in successful warfare. The massive economic and industrial power of the US and the concomitant dwindling of German industrial capability was ultimately the deciding factor in WWII.

germaphobian

pp7c5khh52kz.png

I suggest you look at Russian history. 1905 Russo/Japanese war = revolution. 1917 WW1 = revolution. 1980's Afghanistan = collapse of USSR.

Well, I'm not intent of pulling the big duce out of my sleeve, but I suppose in this situation is appropriate to mention that my country was occupied by Russia for 50 years. So in this case I may be bit arrogant and say that I deffo don't need a history lesson.

droid

Well, I'm not intent of pulling the big duce out of my sleeve, but I suppose in this situation is appropriate to mention that my country was occupied by Russia for 50 years.

Yeah, I assumed as much. I wouldn't downplay your fears in that respect, Russia does pose a threat to its neighbours - particularly the baltic states, but this does not mean that the red army is poised to sweep across Europe, and then the globe.

germaphobian

Yeah, I assumed as much. I wouldn't downplay your fears in that respect, Russia does pose a threat to its neighbours - particularly the baltic states, but this does not mean that the red army is poised to sweep across Europe, and then the globe.

What is really important understand is that attack on Baltics, which also would draw in Finland and Poland (possibly Sweden) straight away, could escalate into nuclear exchange in matter of days, if not minutes.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This is precisely why there should be a ceasefire, in fact, its why there should have been a ceasefire a year ago.
A ceasefire that gives Putin a significant territorial gain will mean his gamble has paid off. It'll just buy him time to regroup and re-arm and then he (or whoever succeeds him) will come back for more.

Appeasement didn't work in 1938 and it won't work in 2024 (or 2026, or 2028).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I can only keep repeating my Eastern Euro spiel that English really, really do underestimate the Russian threat. I mean, I get it in a way, since England has been blessed with geographical location it has and it hasn't come under much outside pressure in a long, long time, but those stated facts have lead to all kinds of delusions.
Ok, maybe it's better to put it this way - if Putin's stratagem works, I can easily imagine Russian nukes raining down on London; some of my English friends have thought me crazy for saying that, but when you go through the present situation step by step, when you consider final Russian ambitions, it does make complete sense.
I mean, again, I get it why on a purly empirical level people don't see it in that light, because you have to go bit mad to consider that, but that's essentially the reality of the situation.
Peter Zeihan, who's been very far sighted when it comes to this particular conflict, even said that Russian nukes obliterating major US cities is not a far-off possibility.
I find this Western Euoropean blidness and glibness concerning, because, to press a bit on where it hurts, history won't be decided by analyzing rave records and movies, that's the kind of luxury what you get after oceans of blood been spilled.
I think Putin is deluded, but I don't think he's insane or suicidal. He surely understands that a nuclear attack on a NATO state would mean the end of Russia and the end of him.