Songs of Joy

woops

is not like other people
so what songs have the word joy in the title? and are they joyous?

oh god do we have to. this reminds me of when hauntology was big and at one point a top blogger posted a list of about 100000000 tunes with the word ghost in the title. what's the point

woops

is not like other people
right here goes. song title with joyful y/n in brackets afterwards.

joy(n)
ecstatic joy(n)
i feel joy(n)
where's the joy(y)
i love joy division(n)
joy of sex(y)
sex joy(n)
my joy lollipop(y)
100% joy(n)
we call it j.o.y.(y/n bridge is good)
im gonna joy you up(n)
gimme joy(n)

etc

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
ya, great thread concept

if someone held a gun to my head + demanded my one joyful song recommendation, it might just be this

u can definitely hear the origin of young Whitney + Madonna but 1) Gwen was a true diva on that OTHER level 2) that Sly/Robbie/Wally Badarou magic

padraig (u.s.)

wistful, highly literate - that is to say, French - joy as aspirational beauty

it's literally an ode to the joy in Ella Fitzgerald's voice, the joy of experiencing that joy, in a kind of anti-racist context

normally I think block c+p lyrics is gauche but this is a rare justified case

(translated from French obv)
It's like joy
Like a smile
Something in her voice
That appears to ask us to come
That makes us feel strangely good
It's like the whole story
Of black people
That is swinging
Between love and despair
Some things that dance in you
If you have got it, you’ve got it
She, she has it
I dont know what this is
That others do not have
That brings us in a funny state
She, she has it
She, this strange voice
She, this strange joy
This gift from heaven that makes it beautiful
She, she has it, She, she has it
She, she has it
She, she has it
She has that little extra soul
That indefinable charm
This small flame
Struck on barrels
On pianos
On whatever god can put in her hands
Show your laugh or your sorrow
But you don’t have anything, that makes you the king
That you still look for the powers that sleep in you
You see, it does not buy
When you have it, you have it
She, she has it
I dont know what this is
That others do not have
That brings us in a funny state
She, she has it

padraig (u.s.)

I c u luka + sufi (Brenda Fassie!) repping South Africa

to me township music, bubblegum->kwaito can sound like the most joyous music ever created

still haven't been able to put my finger on exactly why, ofc the individual sonic elements, aesthetic, the context, the whole gestalt

padraig (u.s.)

talking about South Africa, the 2nd worst thing about Graceland is that other contemporary Westerners were making vastly better African-influenced records

this is a long-time personal favorite. love me some LMD in general, best disco not disco chanteuse not chanteuse.

this is like a joyous follow-up to Smalltown Boy - don't give up, together we'll break these chains of love

another long-time fave

padraig (u.s.)

I've put this up before but still. Shaun Ryder's favorite Factory release, + the best thing Bernard Sumner has ever done (no hyperbole, I really believe that)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i dont consider le fleur joyous becasue i think its precious and fussy

I've had to leave the room while listening to this at Rich's old place after coming back from a club because it was actually unbearably beautiful.

padraig (u.s.)

a lot of disco classics - Love Is the Message, Young Hearts Run Free, That's Where the Happy People Go, Ain't No Stopping Us Now, etc

that entire side of black dance music - the electronic black soul continuum - the transference of spiritual ecstasy to body joy

Walter Gibbons repurposing Stand On the Word into a disco-> house context. Ron Hardy smashing the New York Community Choir at his first residency.

that endless push/pull spirit/secular spirit/body tension

there's a definite large gay liberation element in that mix too - the joy of liberation. I was born this way, born to be alive, etc

anyway, this is the purest distillation of house music into joy I can think of

padraig (u.s.)

This is probably the most joyful thing I've ever heard
that's a good one

undercut with drugs, shades + leather jacket pre-70s NYC bad vibes, LR's brittle weirdness, etc

but perhaps all the more joyous for that, like how a nominal comedy can sometimes extract greater drama than drama by playing against type

padraig (u.s.)

nothing says joy like a family band of Mormon Polynesian teens from Minnesota doing v mid-80s young Whitney/Madonna post-electro

leaves We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off in the dust in the precious sexual innocence Grand Prix

(famous sample 2.5 min for any trainspotters)

padraig (u.s.)

a lot of italo is probably too dark, louche, naff, European, or whatever but there's some definite joy anthems lurking in there

this is the most obvious one I can think of. have listened to it probably 100+ times in my life + I still get weird chills when she sing-raps in Italian.

luka

I've had to leave the room while listening to this at Rich's old place after coming back from a club because it was actually unbearably beautiful.

you were on drugs and highly suggestible. also probably overdue a wank. backed up.

it's not that i dont like the song, it just doesnt fit my definition of joy. if you look through the thread we all have a different take on it. padraig for instance doesnt associate joy with energy. he associates it with soft, pleasant sounds, in the way a brasilian might for instance. and look at how woops bridles at the word itself. for sloane it is religious.

Last edited:

droid

Yeah, great thread.

I must confess to a deep and abiding hatred of that 4 Hero tune.

Too frazzled to think deeply, but Renegade Snares must be an exemplar? Also, was listening back to this recently and reckon its quite joyous - the template for jungle diva pop and perhaps the only one that really worked.

Big fan of the Potential Bad Boy mix as well:

Reggae and particulalry rocksteady... full of joyous tunes. The joy of music itself:

The joy of niceness:

Joy in the morning:

Probably a ton of Doo Wop that fits too.

Last edited:

luka

it's not a thread about songs i like or give me pleasure it's about songs which embody and communicate joy. it's quite an exalted category!
(this is me continuing to justify myself to tea)

Last edited: