Songs of Joy

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
i think becasue youre that older generation
you know I'm your age or possibly younger, right? I'm 34. pretty sure I hold none of the opinions about hipness, taste, etc you're ascribing to me.

you've mentioned this before but I though it was an inscrutable luka in-joke so I never cleared it up.

also tbc I was only conflating them in the sense of shorthand for mid-80s club-derived, post-disco pop music, mostly in their production but also their cultural positioning as chanteuses. Madonna was (loosely) a pop take on the Mudd Club/Funhouse/left field side + Whitney on the electronic black soul side, just meant they both branch from that generation of true disco + post-disco divas - Guthrie, Jocelyn Brown, etc and their production branches off post-disco too, i.e. you can hear some of their origins in Gwen Guthrie.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
also I've never collected records ever. I've pretty much always thought serious record collecting - besides pre-digital DJ functionality - was dumb + pointless. I think all non-functional art collection is dumb, either hoarding or art speculation. just go buy some real estate or whatever. originally formed that opinion as a kid watching punk collector bros pay stupid $$$ for old Japanese/Italian/whatever hardcore 7"s. not that it matters, but just tbc.

anyway, back to joyous music.

luka

you know I'm your age or possibly younger, right? I'm 34. pretty sure I hold none of the opinions about hipness, taste, etc you're ascribing to me.

you've mentioned this before but I though it was an inscrutable luka in-joke so I never cleared it up.

also tbc I was only conflating them in the sense of shorthand for mid-80s club-derived, post-disco pop music, mostly in their production but also their cultural positioning as chanteuses. Madonna was (loosely) a pop take on the Mudd Club/Funhouse/left field side + Whitney on the electronic black soul side, just meant they both branch from that generation of true disco + post-disco divas - Guthrie, Jocelyn Brown, etc and their production branches off post-disco too, i.e. you can hear some of their origins in Gwen Guthrie.

wtf 34?!!!! i assumed you were late 40s.im older than you! time to pull rank here i think.

luka

ah right yeah good choice. whats that other one that i like even more called craner?

luka

This is very much a UK kids at the fair early 90s version of joy, which I experienced.

joy markers
luke-tripping balls
barty-gurning orgasm
padraig-disco record with walter gibbons remix
craner-funfair aged 7

luka

im listening to let me be your fantasy at the moment by a very minor coincidence.
not giving me joy admittedly. i'll give sweet harmony a go.
that always sent serious fucking shivers up my spine when i was kid.

craner

Beast of Burden
Let's not mess around, I'm with you on this. But you know that. Others do straight edge hardcore punk, we do this.

craner

Beast of Burden

Totally got the wrong mix for this. It was the single version that got hammered on the Waltzers. Everyone loved it, apart from the wankers listening to Ride.