Songs of Joy

sadmanbarty

i can't wait to take craner to the funfair. get his face painted. candyfloss. he'll have too much sugar and have a tantrum on the bus back from blackheath.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
padraig-disco record with walter gibbons remix
ya OK you've got me there, more or less, maybe not Gibbons necessarily but correct sentiment

Gibbons specifically did have some highly joyous remixes but not all of them. his tracks are usually extended 12 minute workouts full of peaks + valleys, clattering layers of percussion, piano, long minimal grooves, soaring cut up diva snippets, drop outs, instruments + voices cutting in + out, random noises. he truly was the Lee Perry mad scientist of disco to Levan's (I guess) King Tubby. some of his tracks are sultry (Hit + Run), melancholic (Set It Off), some are full on avant weirdo disco (Moon Maiden, his remixes of Arthur Russell). he was a deep cat.

this is the most straightforward I think - completely drops the vocals + condenses the original down into 5 minutes of pure unadulterated proto-house bliss

this is probably the most uplifting of those long workouts, too sprawling + disjointed to be really joyous I think but still great

also tbf he did find+ break Stand On the Word, the ne plus ultra of gospel uplift repurposed into dancefloor uplift, even if he didn't produce it

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
fwiw I'm also completely down with psychedelic joy, I'd just associate it more with euphoria, introspection, etc depending on the drug

like I was saying hardcore is mostly euphoric, which I'd distinguish from joy, others may not.

was trying to think of joyous jungle tracks, most of sweet soul jungle is more kinda blissed out than joy, not the the uplift. finally thought of this:

idk, the non-specificity of "everybody can be" - everybody can be what? whatever you want to be, a v kinda general uplift. PLUR joy I guess.

jenks

thread death
That was on my list, not that version though. I play the Velvet Undergound increasingly, so much, so varied, so good sometimes. This version of What Goes On - if you haven't gone through their live stuff do, it's much better in some ways, check out the Matrix Tapes :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kym3xgrEISA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In was going to put I'm Set Free on here as well as What Goes On - VU are oddly more joyful than many may think.

droid

Replete with its own tormentors as well. The grinning hellspawn who sees you clinging onto the waltzer and clambers over to give you an extra twirl, or the dead eyed big wheel operator that leaves you hanging at the top for 15 minutes in -3 degree windchill.

Last edited:

droid

Actually, I will give a pass to LunEUR on the edge of Rome, a mile or so from Mussolini's square colosseum. They had some cool petrol powered boat bumpers, plus was next to a park populated by nocturnal transexual prostitutes.

zastivshij-uzhas-10-zabroshennih-parkov-razvlechenij_18.jpeg

Tibadabo in Barcelona too, overpriced but a fantastic location and a brilliant horror house, hotel Kruger.

Tibidabo-678x350.jpg

But if youre ever in Gardaland, avoid this mushroom tree at all costs.

ab65ac66195845b4b4f08e2649dbfeb7.jpg

droid

Permanent funfairs generally tend to be more tolerable its true, but then there's hellholes like Portaventura.

luka

i have a massive soft spot for Barry Island now. I've been twice. im going to try and score and invite for later this year too.

craner

Beast of Burden
i have a massive soft spot for Barry Island now. I've been twice. im going to try and score and invite for later this year too.

You're always welcome. Everbody should come, it could be a Dissensus Conference down the Island. It'll be just like Yalta!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like the idea of it being an island inhabited entirely by Barries. White, Manilow, Chuckle, they're all there.

craner

Beast of Burden
Would definitely bug Droid's bedroom!

I wouldn't bug Barty's because I wouldn't want to hear him shagging all the Barry teenage girls he'd seduced on the sand, wistfully.