funkiness

mr tom

dressed to ill
Broken beat was interesting for a while - these records are all amazing...

Mustang - Transitions (Visions Inc)
Seiji - Into The Now/Silver Blossom (2000 Black)
Domu - Snake Eyes/Dresssed To Ill (2000 Black)
Nubian Mindz - Black Science (Archive)
Son Of Scientist - Theory Of Everything (Main Squeeze)

All of these have an incredible otherworldly, futuristic, sci-fi atmosphere that has more in common with Sun Ra and Jeff Mills than wine- bar jazz-funk.

But at least 75% of contemporary broken beat is shit - fact. Next!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
ha! just came across this thread looking for Carl Craig recs.... Oh, to be able to see into the future!

so i was in rough trade yesterday, flicking through their sale section, and came across a cd by someone i'd forgotten even existed: funki porcini...

which got me thinking about the almost visceral reaction i have to things that claim to be 'funky'. it's so instantly repellent to me: it puts things completely beyond the pale.

so many bad things seem to be bound up in the notion of 'funkiness', in that it tends to be the self-description of wacky muso types unwittingly (or not) removing themselves from the things that made the music that supposedly influenced them interesting and fun, OR the kind of description that dickhead tv presenters give music that's Just Weird Enough.

dance music made by and for people who don't dance. dance music made by and for people who aren't on the right drugs. and wackiness, always wackiness.

which is just a long-winded way of asking: would anyone buy anything that proclaimed itself to be 'funky'? would that description attract you, even?

(i'm talking about modern stuff that calls itself 'funky', not older (pre-80s) stuff)

gumdrops

funky is best used now in the sense of something just being syncopated (like uk funky!) rather than funk signifiers which usually come out badly (though with all the 80s influences, that decades funk seems to be getting mined quite a bit right now)

S

simon silverdollar

ha! just came across this thread looking for Carl Craig recs.... Oh, to be able to see into the future!

Ha, I still stand by everything I said in this thread ;)
surprised by how militant I used to be, back in the day...

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
is there a Prince thread? i love the line in Poplife when he goes "But life it aint real funky unless it's got that pop! Dig it!"

wise

bare BARE BONES
Most of Mr Porcini's output is properly horrid, but i've always had a soft spot for this one

Dub reggae lite though it may be :D

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
so i was in rough trade yesterday, flicking through their sale section, and came across a cd by someone i'd forgotten even existed: funki porcini...

which got me thinking about the almost visceral reaction i have to things that claim to be 'funky'. it's so instantly repellent to me: it puts things completely beyond the pale.

so many bad things seem to be bound up in the notion of 'funkiness', in that it tends to be the self-description of wacky muso types unwittingly (or not) removing themselves from the things that made the music that supposedly influenced them interesting and fun, OR the kind of description that dickhead tv presenters give music that's Just Weird Enough.

dance music made by and for people who don't dance. dance music made by and for people who aren't on the right drugs. and wackiness, always wackiness.

which is just a long-winded way of asking: would anyone buy anything that proclaimed itself to be 'funky'? would that description attract you, even?

(i'm talking about modern stuff that calls itself 'funky', not older (pre-80s) stuff)

Here is your funk:

Here is your soul

Macedonian brass band, and Kurdish baglama player.

Hope this answers your qestion.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
and this has nothing to do with race or class. that's why i dislike ninja tune as much as a lot on 'intelligent' drum and bass, or acid jazz.

agreed with you on acid jazz and ninja tune.

but you can't tell me this isn't a great jazzy dnb tune cunt!

or even

pfm - one and only

or even

All great.

and remember: Joe Muggs is more dissensus than dissensus. don't be a foolish britisher enslaved to the album format. sgt pepper is rubbish anyway.

mixed_biscuits

but you can't tell me this isn't a great jazzy dnb tune cunt!

or even

pfm - one and only

or even

All great.

and remember: Joe Muggs is more dissensus than dissensus. don't be a foolish britisher enslaved to the album format. sgt pepper is rubbish anyway.
- in 3/4 time too