pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Don't mind us patty. We're just jealous. Not that we want your life because we know we'd hate it but because we don't fit in and can't just go around enjoying ourselves willy nilly like that. We're freaks and not welcome around normal people. You go and have a good time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

If only you knew man. Its a fucking scrape all the way. I just choose to keep trying.

luka

I'm only teasing you patty. Please don't take it personally. You're just a different specimen to the ones we are used to dealing with.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
China? Even though they somehow blended it with capitalism?

For me that is 100% soulful. There's playfulness, humanness, and also explores the dark side, which I'm not sure why but you dudes seem to think that I think is not part of the soul spectrum. Of course it is! And yes we are getting our wires crossed, a lot.

Its not about underground vs pop.

Clinton was a deep dude who said a lot of profound things in his lyrics. Which brings me back to the first thing I said in this thread: soul's the truth. Ring around the bathtub. There's no ring around Carly Jepsen's tub. What is not soul is a dishonest expression of emotion. And I'm not talking about Aretha's planned oohs and ahs, I'm talking about music which is genetically modified to trigger precisely the exact receptors to generate the desired response whilst being completely void of any substance.

Haven't heard it, sorry.

I lived in London for 9 years. Don't forget what I wrote in your are we scared thread man. I'm definitely a pessimist and maybe even a misanthrope for the most part. But one of the few things that still gives me joy is letting go completely to music and dancing and feeling alive. As I'm writing this I'm reminded of my first year in London. Maybe 2002. I was studying drums in Acton amd had a weed dealer called Glen who was from West London or some posh city nearby. Good guitarist. Great taste in music. One day he asked me if I wanted to go and see Maceo Parker at the Barbican. We go, and it's the Barbican so all seated. But it's fkn Maceo Parker and it just felt weird sitting there staring at this powerhouse funk band. Eventually a few people from the front rows started to stand up and dance or at least clap. I looked over at Glen who was this very dry witted dude. He'd have fit right in here. He was looking down at the dancers and I could see he was fighting an urge. I asked if he wanted to go down. He was like nah and kind of chortle through his nose. He did want to, but he was being held back by whatever that force is. He was older and cooler than me so I didn't do anything for a while.. Until I couldn't take it anymore and blurted out 'well guess its just me then' and set off down the stairwell. Him n his mates sniggering. I got right up near the stage, clapped, danced shared smiles with their others doing the same and one of the band and it was brilliant. But I look back up at Glen and he's giving me the stink eye. I was like fuck that, turned around and carried on for the rest of the show. When it was over and we left they were making sly digs about someone wishing they were black. They had to knock it down. I didn't give a fuck, I'd just had a ball.

Cmon man. That isn't it at all. I'm all of the 2nd half. Money is an issue. I'm depressed (once again, pessimistic about the future, misanthrope etc) I just have a release valve. It gets me through.

And anti dissensus?

How can you be anti anti? Surely a place with a name like that should be all about exploring ideas that do not fit wihh your own? Mark Twain said that the true mark of intelligence is being able to entertain ideas opposite to your own as if they were your own.

Yes wihh the right sequence of tracks leading up to it. Give em a little bit of what they like to get em loose and then drop whatever the fuck you want. If it flows it'll work.

Fair enough. I think I agree with a lot of that (nearly most of it.) Thanks for being so accommodating. I'm struggling with the Carly rae jepsen bit though. For the record I think it's dogshit but i am a hermit. But like It's not as if Timbaland or Missy were any less surface level and materialistic, I just click with their approach even more. there is just something so infuriatingly... um I don't know. I just find Carly makes me feel very queasy. I don't want to live it large. I don't want to have a naked selfie with the hotties. I don't want to be on a beach sipping a nice drink listening to some classy 70s jazz funk like, um, Raul De Souza Jumpstreet I guess? It just hurts my ears. It doesn't even trigger the responses its producers want me to feel. So I can't mount a case for CRJ.

luka

And third was getting all agitated by you and I wanted him to calm down. It was a plea for understanding. Third can be quite hard to understand but he does make concrete, relevant, intelligent points, they're just kind of oblique and buried in all sorts of other stuff. I'm a bit frustrated cos it seems to have become impossible to talk to one another. There doesn't seem to be a shared wavelength.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm only teasing you patty. Please don't take it personally. You're just a different specimen to the ones we are used to dealing with.

nah man, for real, it's all um...

I can't say fucking love can I? It's um.

It's all connected.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
It's all good man. I've come to enjoy this place more than any other on the Web. The ribbing is all part of it. As you were

And if it weren't already obvious, I have my own style of antagonism eheh

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Third is a pillar. Never change!

What I meant by CRJ is she can't be soulful because her bathtub doesn't have a ring around it. It's too clean

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I mean does anyone want to make a radical gnostic/anarchist/revolutionary/communist (pick yer word of poison) case for Carly? The only people I've ever heard be into it were university students. but since I quit uni I've turned into a Dickensian spinster, only problem is i am an accursed man and can't go fully mad.

My aunt and her work mates like Beyonce though. I guess she's an expected soul music for the 2010s really. I like her and all but I'm not an avid fan or anything. Nothing too deep but nothing shallow either. middle of the road soul. who would that be in the 70s? Calling Bliss.

But then also Badu doesn't really have much to say these days either does she? apart from pulling controversial publicity stunts in interview after interview.

Last edited:

luka

I'm really struggling to be honest. This happens... Quite often.... Can't seem to communicate effectively. My premise was that soulfulness has been discarded by civilisation. We have been altered. We are not feeling, emoting beings any more. We are something else. Beyond soul. There is no subjective self lonely and longing. Sobbing. Sighing. Pining. Craving. Desperate with desire. You can find those qualities in old music just as you can find other spiritual attainments materialised in art of other periods, the early Italian Renaissance for instance, or temple architecture from... Wherever whenever.... We register and respond to these things still despite being aware that they are no longer possible. To paint a Madonna. How? To build a cathedral?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
but then as luke always says you can't base your music listening around or make an adjunct to your politics. politics is just a racketeers game. so it's about finding that sweet spot between the territorially timeless whilst being firmly rooted in the territorially timebound. This is why whilst I have great respect for Pharoah I think Miles was far more and will continue to be far more relevant. His pivot to a rock audience was a very wise thing to do. I mean, fucking hell pangaea still ain't been topped.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I'm a bit frustrated cos it seems to have become impossible to talk to one another. There doesn't seem to be a shared wavelength.

It's tough because we all seem to be thinking of different things when we say the word soul. I just made an attempt to clarify my side of it. But I think right now we need a few more voices to pitch in their tuppence and hopefully balance it out. Blissblogg just made a very good and clear post about what it is. I'd have to agree with it. And if you haven't I'd recommend you checking that little snippet of cornel west I posted upthread. But don't take this as me say in soul is exclusively black

Last edited:

luka

well Davis thing can be approached as soundworld without having to be understood as some kind of worship. With pharaoh you basically have to accept that the whole thing as intended as prayer. And we can't occupy that role. The fact that there is no one proves it can't be done.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
but then as luke always says you can't base your music listening around or make an adjunct to your politics. politics is just a racketeers game. so it's about finding that sweet spot between the territorially timeless whilst being firmly rooted in the territorially timebound. This is why whilst I have great respect for Pharoah I think Miles was far more and will continue to be far more relevant. His pivot to a rock audience was a very wise thing to do. I mean, fucking hell pangaea still ain't been topped.

Miles is his own world. Pharaoh is an extension of ground already laid by the master. A sublime and infinitely deep extension. But he didn't revolutionise his genre 5 times like MD

luka

I suppose I should try And sleep. I have to get out in the streets again tomorrow and sing for my supper.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
You might want to check this at some point if you haven't already, third

Mtume discussing why Miles went electric among other things.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
All I'll say about the carly rae jepsen thing is.

Like, yes, you can deconstruct it, take it to bits, go to the roots of its subconscious perceptual experiences, expose its unspoken assumptions, make sociological/theological points blah blah blah.

But, that deconstruction only means something if you take a principled side rather than treat it as a mirror.

And that's where I struggle with Carly. Yes, there may be all these resonances that are not surface level, brilliant, but also it is an automated mechanism isn't it? It just disappears into noise. a certain sense of emotional triggering, an emotion without purpose, a nonspecific flow that has been totally subordinated to a logic it doesn't even understand.

Have you ever thought about how quite a significant minority of people into experimental music (not all of course) can't hold down a 5-10 year stable job?