thirdform

pass the sick bucket
is the recent autechre (particularly the lives) soulful? forget about incunabula, forget about amber, forget about tri repetae. Sean and Rob Booth don't exist now! only their intellec in the rules they've written! Aristotelian life after death. we have necro-autechre now. is Exai soulful?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Who is this directed at

?

I mean people who say soul is possible in our current time period. I'm saying, ok so we take soulfulness away from vocal performance, we take it away from melancholic cords, we take it away from a healing music (well, we don't take it away so much as problematise or reinterpret it) we also add ruffneck jungle and hard loop techno into the mix, because they are also sincere musics in some way. add quite a few metal genres in there come to think of it. So what is not soulful now?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
certainly many old white rockers would say Michael Jackson is not soulful, Prince is not soulful. in fact for them any black music aiming for ambition is not soulful. of course they don't apply this to his royal Roger Waters who can inhabit the domain of lyrical proficiency and profundity. obviously this attitude is wrong and noone (I hope) subscribes to it on this forum. but

I still think the original coordinates we set out are more powerful, but I guess we'll have to wait for patty to tell us what he thinks of that looping dave clarke mix.

I think Morrissey is anything but soulful. but of course that goes against practically everyone's interpretation of him. But here we are trying to define some coordinates to operate by. I could go into why I don't rate Morressy but that would be missing the point.

Last edited:

luka

Yes thirdform OK. I get it. Patty is very strange. He's been beamed in from the early 90s. None of us can relate to his sun kissed life as a member of the international party set. It freaks us out. His rhetoric is completely unaffected by the last 20 years of discourse and development. He's very obviously not a Londoner. He doesn't seem to have gone mad. He doesn't seem to have been initiated. Fine. It's weird. It's hard to communicate with him. He's in a good vibe daze. What do you want me to do about it? What's the point of getting in a frenzy.

luka

Soul to him means feeling cosy and warm and tingly inside. Big nice feeling in a big nice world full of beautiful people and without money troubles, loneliness, despair, insanity, psychosis, trapped, desperate, pleading, burnt out, gone. Nice chilled out spliff on the beach music. Irie vibes mon. Yes, it's anti-dissensian... But how can we work with it?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Soul to him means feeling cosy and warm and tingly inside. Big nice feeling in a big nice world full of beautiful people and without money troubles, loneliness, despair, insanity, psychosis, trapped, desperate, pleading, burnt out, gone. Nice chilled out spliff on the beach music. Irie vibes mon. Yes, it's anti-dissensian... But how can we work with it?

Am I being turned into a suiter for a bride in sanliurfa now? hmm this was like the time i took mdma then the hitchen babe went upstairs and fucked a Portuguese fascist. I thought Tina Marie would have been appropriate at the time but think another luke from essex with a dissensian accent put on grateful dead american beauty.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

I can work with it on a musical level. easy.

But then I have to pretend to be 45 and that means I'm a soft tory.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

perfect house/soul techno jam and it's jazz funk really. those strings. like church for the non-religious.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
nostalgia for something i never lived through. that's what all that 80s stuff gives me the vibe of. not utopian like 92 hardcore but the classiness of being exactly where you wanna be. organicity. the little melodic flourishes just hit the right serotonin responses. but that's fine. music is science after all. yet still rubbery nd groovy. i can always come back to this zone. but do I want to every day? that is debatable.

Maybe this is something bliss blogger can talk about with his knowledge of rockabilly revivals. im not even sure what the fuck rockabilly is lmao. you'd be glassed in london if you used that word to describe a genre, hahaha.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

I mean it's easy to say we're all overly self aware, but like, so what? we don't make history in circumstances of our own choosing. maybe there are things going on in remote pockets of morocco but we're not gonna there so we have to reflect our environments. if that's genuine soul then sure I'm as much of a soulboy as anyone else. but can you earnestly play street sounds electro to a bunch of 50 kids today and it change most of their lives? I highly doubt it. not because it sounds old, in fact it sounds *more* futuristic than ever. Simply because we're in our own musical bubbles that are divorced from most people. which is fine, but like

You can't simultaneously talk about little self-awareness and musical conoisseurs. to me, they are mutually exclusive. I'm self-aware precisely because I know too much, not because I know too little. with great knowledge comes great responsibility.

But actually really the only difference between dance and pop fans is that dance music fans are connoisseurs. to be a true poptimist you have to live every song as if it is a love affair all over again. Once you start saying it was better in the days, you stop being a poptimist. In some senses this transience is what we hope for under a non-capitalist society where the alchemy is all that matters. But when even that is the guiding philosophy of the pop music industry you do have to wonder if it's really worth investing currency in this. This is also why I find Derek Bailey's argument that hhe has no use for recorded music very compelling. But maybe (probably) it's an artistic conservatism in me wanting to own music, even if in digital form like it is today.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
is the solution to compose all music in the fridgeon mode? Will that reunite us with the cosmos? does the fridgeon mode render this discussion irrelevant? We need our resident musicologist to drop some science here. does truly fake music exist in the fridgeon mode?

Was Henry VIII's great heresy abandoning the fridgeon mode?

Is raga in the fridgeon mode? is ghanaian folk music in the fridgeon mode? Is the fridgeon mode in fact incontrovertible observable rational evidence of the existence of God? Is it the ultimate break through? Is there universal jungle in the fridgeon mode? Go on Sadam, son!

Last edited:

luka

Thirdform is right that we don't have any idea of the religious. I was brought up atheist in a secular society. What do we mean when we talk about spirituality? Drugs mostly. Plus intimations and suggestive hints from art.... A sense of.... What exactly? Of course I know what it is for me.... But for Anybody else?

luka

What are the experiences? This for me is the only possible way to continue this conversation. I'm obviously not going to talk about the Phyrgian mode am I

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Thirdform is right that we don't have any idea of the religious. I was brought up atheist in a secular society. What do we mean when we talk about spirituality? Drugs mostly. Plus intimations and suggestive hints from art.... A sense of.... What exactly? Of course I know what it is for me.... But for Anybody else?

Right. I was brought up religious but for all the ideological justifications people around me give, a lot of it was to cling onto identity in a sea of racism. any eid celebrations (if we had any) were spectacle. showbiz. be there in the right places to look good to the right people. My dad would class himself as a very religious man. But I can't participate in that experience. not because I don't want to, simply because the societal context is not there. Even he himself clings to it because he is tenacious and hopes for a return to Turkey. As I have reminded him on numerous an occasion, 1970s peasant turkey does not exist anymore. even agricultural production is rapidly declining. everywhere is becoming the city. and actually, it's *the conservative islamists* who embarked on some of the most modernisations. this isn't about whether they betrayed their ideals (frankly I could not care either way) but the impersonal mechanisms they are forced to adhere to.

Last edited:

luka

Do you feel you are intersecting with spiritual realities when you are on drugs? Are drugs a religious experience for you?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Fellas I'd love to join in with all the jostling and jiving but I'm 30m in from the treeline down there and the luau is just about to start.

IMG_20190416_160914.jpg

Now, where'd I leave that glass of punch?