and the worst has already happened.
The Threshold has been crossed. There
is no longer any Inside, any Out. No
Sanctuary, no Stronghold, no Escape
no Hiding Place.

craner

Beast of Burden
I keep thinking about what Mark said via Deleuze in The Barthes of Parties,

"... if superficiality is defined as lack of depth, is depth not defined as lack of surface?"

Hemingway's 'Iceberg Theory' seems as though it could be argued from either side. All surface and no depth, or all depth and no surface. The former because the depth's implied so all you have is surface, the latter because all the value comes from that implied depth and the surface itself is unremarkable.

That being said, I dunno that it's necessary or possible to separate style from content, so I'm probably tying myself in knots for the sake of it.

It probably won't astonish you to learn that this was always one of my favorite K-Punk essays.

craner

Beast of Burden
The new Jessie Ware album is all about this. It's like an essay on this very topic. It's like it was designed to seduce me.

It probably won't astonish you to learn that this was always one of my favorite K-Punk essays.

Funnily enough I read this last week via that japan remix on your top 100. Because I knew he loved ghosts. I don't sylvian's voice, it's the worst thing about that song.

craner

Beast of Burden
The voice is a terrible affectation, but then the affectation is also essential. Gentlemen Take Polaroids and Tin Drum wouldn't be better without it.

luka

when i played you cranes in the sky, in your Barry home, you said it was shit and called me a cunt for making you listen to it. i was very upset cos it was already an anthem to me and i was sure you'd love it. in fact i've never been so crestfallen and i'm not sure i ever got over it.

craner

Beast of Burden
when i played you cranes in the sky, in your Barry home, you said it was shit and called me a cunt for making you listen to it. i was very upset cos it was already an anthem to me and i was sure you'd love it. in fact i've never been so crestfallen and i'm not sure i ever got over it.

I changed my mind. The same thing happened with 'Motivation' which I ended up loving too.

Sorry, you were right.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
One of the last times I remember being genuinely moved by music was when I went to Lovebox festival in London (where the average age must be about 20) and saw Solange perform and the whole crowd of thousands of people were singing 'Cranes in the Sky'.

I knew it was a popular song of course but it's still quite different to witness how important it is to people (including young attractive people) in the flesh.