catalog

I like Elysia Crampton though. definitely the stand out producer from that crowd. When I saw her she put a load of Brandy acapellas over some hyper bleepy and distorted stockhausen-esque soundscape. whether she's tailored her sound in the meantime I'm not sure.

I saw Elysia crampton last year. I don't know what I was expecting, but she was disappointing. Coby sey who was on before was much better and by the time she came on I had had my highlight. These modern promoters put too many acts on, kill the night with too much stuff.

catalog

@crowley yeah I've not really listened to lil yachty much, I tried but it didn't stick. Of all that I'll, the only one I vaguely like is young thug. I just think Afrofuturism as a concept is a bit dead, like the otherness these newer artists feel is of a different order. Dunno.

I have never read greg tate but I was reading some Arthur jafa the other day and thought it was good. Talking about Duchamp and Picasso's theft/borrowing but it was about concepts of time, perspectives of seeing. And he talked about all the alien films, all modern sci-fi films I general, as being about blackness. I'd really like to see his film, the one with the Kanye tune, it's on in Liverpool ATM.

luka

The problem of Afrofuturism is so called afrofuturist aspiring thinkers are v. conservative. They only are just now acknowledging Lil' Wayne and Cash Money in the last few years ("oh well, they said Cash Money is a Navy a la Drexciya so") and the problem is the framework needs constant updating and acknowledgement of things in the present whereas most Afrofuturists need to be sold things as progressive and experimental and futuristic.

I was in college a few years ago and I had a seminar that was actually afro-futurism themed and naturally I went in because my mentality was "I am gonna coast through this thing like nothing and it's gonna rule", did a final presentation on Brother From Another Planet, great times. However I could see the limits for my professor as an older gentleman, in that he compared Lil Yachty to Flavor Flav in the negative light. A shocking development considering he clearly was of the generation for whom Public Enemy was probably a thing. We never got into it fully but you could see he didn't see anything revolutionary or important in Yachty because he had nobody around to tell him such (not that Yachty was or had to be, but if he were...)

This post seems most in keeping with the original intent of the thread. Reynolds has always tried to do this. To say, here is the cutting edge, in this maligned idiot music, be it hardcore or Mannie Fresh and that these things which are too knowing, too conceptualised and arch, don't make it.

catalog

literally everyone wants to be latter period coil it's exhausting
something must snap. something must give.

Yeah all that occult obsession stuff gets a bit tiring. What about genesis p-orridge tho? Where's all that fucked up, blood-letting body work? I've got a book about them at the moment and whilst I'm wary after reading coseys book, you gotta say they set some boundaries: all the mainstreaming of piercings, trans that sort of thing.

luka

I had a thought about the nuum the other day as well, might as well share it now, whatever.

I was thinking it's dead cos the waves of migration that kicked it off have calmed down and there isn't that sense of difference you needed anymore. Like it all popped at a certain point cos the music of afrocaribbean origin had reached a level of maturity which allowed for crossover.

But that's now happened, and there isn't really any kind of correlate for now, in terms of big migration. So it's all just recycling and going over.

I mean the wider point is that we are living in a declining country (I mean the UK).

There have been actually, huge waves of migration, but the nuum was really about the West Indies. There was a relationship there with Jamacian music. Since then you've had, to name a few
Somalian, Polish, Turkish, Vietnamese, Romanian, Lithuanian, Portugese, Columbian, Algerian, Moroccan, Egyptian, Albanian, and of course Nigerian and Ghanian (not to mention Gambian, Cameroonian, Angolans) It's a vastly more multicultural London than it was in 1993. Far more complex.

how that might pan out in music is not obvious. It's clearly ridiculous to posit some future amalgamation of all ethnic, cultural influences. It never works that way. (Some bagpipes over some daburka, with a nose flute and some reggae bass) you may get what Barty wants, which is localised scenes demarcated by ethnic/cultural/national origin, some of which could cross over to a larger audience. That doesn't seem inconceivable. Polish donk, Turkish reggaeton etc. Afrobeats was/is this to some degree. Asian garage was this is the late '90s.

Last edited:

luka

Third says it's not multicultural now beyond being a pool of cheap, exploitable labour but I think it's very difficult to gauge for anyone except school children.

catalog

No Luka, you are wrong. There has not been huge waves of migration subsequently. All those other things you mentioned dwarf in comparison to the scale of West Indian and Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi migration in the 60s. What I mean is that all of those disparate cultures don't add up in terms of significance, no doubt a lot of diversity, I'm not challenging that, but in terms of numbers, it's not the same thing at all.

I think this is proven by how the west Indian music still dominates in terms of bedrock sound

I take the point that it's skewed in London but London is not really representative of the country. It's really a different thing altogether.

luka

And remember when we say West Indian music we are only talking about one island. The reason Jamacia has been so dominant has nothing, or very little, to do with numbers. It's more mysterious than that.

luka

Also please bear in mind that black people of African origin now outnumber black people of West Indian origin throughout the country. Again, these are significant numbers we are talking about.

luka

Inspired by third’s thing yesterday:

Throughout the end of the 20th century the future was dehumanising us. Now we’re humanising the future.

This is worth pursuing. More so than toting up census figures in any case. One of the things I was talking about in the dematerialisation thread is the uncanny valley. I have two friends who compose music for a living. Barty is one, the other tells me a large part of his job is concerned with exactly this; 'humanising' technology, through the range of tools designed for that task. Electronic music started out foregrounding it's otherness; synthetic, machine, robot
Now you have a move in the opposite direction.

catalog

It's not the same. It's to do with commonwealth as well, people came with certain expectations. The mismatch is what made it. If there are more African origin people now, it is of no consequence, that is numbers over time. I'm talking about a lot, all at once.

Anyway, forget it, pointless diversion. I disagree with you.

I agree that Jamaica is a special and mysterious case. I think it has something to do with the particular strain of slavery present there and it's geographical location. That's a whole other thing. Like how the fuck did that happen? That small island is responsible for so much. I went to Mexico a few years ago and found out that 'jamaica' (ha mai ika) means hibiscus in Spanish, they make a lilac/purple drink from it. I think that has something to do with it. And Bob Marley's dad was white, right? The religious element and ganja has something to do with it, the fundamental Christianity of rasta. Crazy. I'd love to go to Jamaica.

catalog

This is worth pursuing. More so than toting up census figures in any case. One of the things I was talking about in the dematerialisation thread is the uncanny valley. I have two friends who compose music for a living. Barty is one, the other tells me a large part of his job is concerned with exactly this; 'humanising' technology, through the range of tools designed for that task. Electronic music started out foregrounding it's otherness; synthetic, machine, robot
Now you have a move in the opposite direction.

Surely that's driven by commerce? As in, as we go deeper into a techy world, ppl need to feel the human more? Connected I suppose to the whole idea of humanity being over and the last step before the robot. Humanity as a fetish.

luka

This also has to do with the infantilisation of the future. The rounded off shake and rubbery texture of iPhone app icons. The apple logo itself. Quavo looking like a baby. No drill artist being taller that 5 ft 8.

The future of old was arguably concentrated adultnes- cold, rational, monochrome, etc.

What's also become apparent is that seeing men, big grown men, now is sort of gross. A few examples
Idris Elba in the Sean Paul/Stefflon Don thing. Tiny Boost in the 'on the corner' video, the 40 something thug in the Russ/JB2/Chuks London Dublin link up video.

Jimi Hendrix physiques, tall, attenuated, graceful like the Migos, like Young Thug or
Little imp boys, machine elves with facial tattoos.

luka

Surely that's driven by commerce? As in, as we go deeper into a techy world, ppl need to feel the human more? Connected I suppose to the whole idea of humanity being over and the last step before the robot. Humanity as a fetish.

Well you say that, and I'm sure there's some truth in it, but don't you think the odd thing is that instead of just having something human the response is to use a computer and try to trick you into thinking its human! It's the long way round, isn't it? There's something quite intriguing about that.

luka

It's not the same. It's to do with commonwealth as well, people came with certain expectations. The mismatch is what made it. If there are more African origin people now, it is of no consequence, that is numbers over time. I'm talking about a lot, all at once.

Anyway, forget it, pointless diversion. I disagree with you.

I agree that Jamaica is a special and mysterious case. I think it has something to do with the particular strain of slavery present there and it's geographical location. That's a whole other thing. Like how the fuck did that happen? That small island is responsible for so much. I went to Mexico a few years ago and found out that 'jamaica' (ha mai ika) means hibiscus in Spanish, they make a lilac/purple drink from it. I think that has something to do with it. And Bob Marley's dad was white, right? The religious element and ganja has something to do with it, the fundamental Christianity of rasta. Crazy. I'd love to go to Jamaica.

I don't think I necessarily do disagree with you. I agree that that initial wave of migrations was a special case, hence why the windrush thing was such a disgrace and unforgivable betrayal of trust. I don't agree that all other migrations are somehow insignificant though. They are still real people, living their lives here, trying to find a space. Interacting with everyone else, rubbing shoulders, communicating and miscommunicating

luka

Well you say that, and I'm sure there's some truth in it, but don't you think the odd thing is that instead of just having something human the response is to use a computer and try to trick you into thinking its human! It's the long way round, isn't it? There's something quite intriguing about that.

You go from robot to replicant.