luka

The park was amazing today. Like stupidly good then come back and it's Christmas Day. I had a haircut. I look beautiful. What a great day.

luka

How did you engage with the first generation of road rap? How invested in it were you? How did you hear it? Where did you go looking for it? Did you have mates feeding you, did you think it was too dumb or what was going on in those days?

luka

Slackk was the big person here pushing rap. He did two compilations that a lot of us listened to I've told him to stick is oar in this thread let's see what happens

sadmanbarty

How did you engage with the first generation of road rap? How invested in it were you? How did you hear it? Where did you go looking for it? Did you have mates feeding you, did you think it was too dumb or what was going on in those days?

obviously heard it around, but it wasn't really something i had any remit for. i was too young, funky was popular.

gigg's 'look what the cat dragged in' was the way in. it was absolutely anthemic and ubiquitous. the soundtrack to us fully leaving childhood. only kartel's suprpassed giggs in terms of reverence in my lifetime.

sadmanbarty

Slackk was the big person here pushing rap. He did two compilations that a lot of us listened to I've told him to stick is oar in this thread let's see what happens

that does absolutely nothing for me.

the stuff in my playlist isn't actually 'rap'. it's an unnamed genre all of its own. uk bashment. dancehall rhythms. much faster than rap. uk rapping style.

luka

You've done a really good job at pretending that stuff didn't happen. At the time it was very hard for me to see past that kind of thing. I'd look around every once in a while see something like that and go are you mad have some self respect

(The gorilla thing)

Last edited:

luka

that does absolutely nothing for me.

the stuff in my playlist isn't actually 'rap'. it's an unnamed genre all of its own. uk bashment. dancehall rhythms. much faster than rap. uk rapping style.

Yeah you've done a brilliant job of identifying it and ring fencing it. I like that song a lot though.

luka

Corpsey reading thread EDM vs disco what are you doing corpse that's the wrong thread

sadmanbarty

The giggs thing wasn't a real solution to the problem of the accent.

giggs important thing was finding an accent (or lack thereof) that let the africans in. uk mccing had been so jamaican-centric during the nuum age, that it was untenable in this newly african london.

giggs was undercover in peckham learning how to be an african. he discovered their voice for them.

sadmanbarty

Corpsey reading thread EDM vs disco what are you doing corpse that's the wrong thread

i'm fine with him not engaging while he's on holiday.

but i'll be fucking heartbroken if i get nothing once he's home.

the lex luger and afroswing sections were exclusively catered for him

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the gloomy ambient pianos of course the curse of this, just like the ecstatic pianos curse of rave.

That doesn't mean pianos are invalid, yet there does seem to be something crossover in that instrument when integrated into electronic music and that doesn't help the london infrastructure.