The Grime Hall of Shame

luka

But not only that it's his good ones which have gone top ten whereas some of his worst commercial pandering sunk without a trace. Interesting case study.

CrowleyHead

Lethal's definitely made some of the worst moves, including that "Staring At The Rude Boys" cover with Gallows. He was definitely one of the worst cases of selling out when it was clear he was going to have to. But he also has the rare distinction of having underrated crossovers.

CrowleyHead

<iframe width="545" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FYABXJBRHPc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He did Funky p. effortlessly and nobody gave him that credit, think how many others sounded dumb over Funky when they tried it.

<iframe width="727" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jyOIAMY_lgs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Perfectly comfortable and actually ponderous over grime/dubstep crossover in a way a lot of types actually missed the point on. This predates all the experimental Trim stuff doesn't it?

CrowleyHead

Also while I'm catching up by going backwards and in a pedantic mood:

Kano's "Typical Me" is actually better than "Jus A Rascal".

An obvious attempt of duplication, and totally cynical, but it's better.

I do want to just go in endlessly on Kano here because he's worthless but I'm saving my energy until another time.

luka

Kanos cool but he just doubled down on the slickness at a certain point and it became too self satisfied and oily for anyone to stomach

CrowleyHead

Kanos cool but he just doubled down on the slickness at a certain point and it became too self satisfied and oily for anyone to stomach

Kano was always shit it was never about the slickness but again, I gotta save my energy b/c Third wanted me in the deconstructed rap thread and I'm getting distracted.

CrowleyHead

Luke will go on endlessly about how Eminem ruined things meanwhile Kano, who raps EXACTLY like Eminem, always gets a pass. The eternal forgiveness to anyone from East London...

luka

Don't make us watch that gross video again version sometimes I think you're a sick puppy. Like you just wish badness upon people.

sadmanbarty

as we all know luke invented grime. he was its spirit animal. i think he went australia or new zealand around 2010 and that's when the music went all tits up. he dropped the ball.

then he moved to south london and all of a sudden road rap stopped being rubbish.