Barriers to Entry.

luka

those things are half true. But I'm suspicious of the word fixed. It's quite common for people to disavow the music they loved as a child or teenager and it's equally common for people to develop a taste for something they had previously disliked, a 'classic' example being learning to appreciate classical music in late middle age.

luka

The brain and body and it's biochemical constituents change as we age. We lose testosterone for instance. Our sympathies shift. Our desires. Our fears. All of this is fluid and not fixed.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
there's literally no defending this. none. not even the way i can look back on happy hardcore or jump up with nostalgia for teenage innocence. irredeemable hippie tosh.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The brain and body and it's biochemical constituents change as we age. We lose testosterone for instance. Our sympathies shift. Our desires. Our fears. All of this is fluid and not fixed.

this is true, I'm much more predisposed to the subtly inflected classy shuffle of house these days than i used to be. I always liked house but i can listen to more of it today. there is an energy in that, albeit not necessarily one apparent to me when i was 19 getting my mind blown with all kinds of extreme music and experiences.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I also used to think MJ Cole - Sincere was a good vocal housengarage track but not one that would excel above all the other strong contenders.

then the other week it just struck me how utterly sublime it was, how it was as much (new york house) as it was UK garage.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
but to be more prosaic

I'm actually interested in once entry points that are now unapproachable. for me it is extreme metal. i just can't go back to it. i had to go there but I never got what i wanted out of it, ultimately.

But i wasn't a true believer in it like i might have been like some more maligned genres like hhc and wobble.

woops

is not like other people
no i'm can't saying you can't go off stuff, used to listen to all kinds of shit when i was a kid and thought it was wicked. but i mean your basic palette of tastes will be established on some level, including the ones that might help you get into radio 3 when you're old. i don't see that any other explanation makes sense.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I must be honest I don't understand what you're trying to say here it all seems very circular. if you mean values accumulate with time then that's just self-evident. what are you trying to say beyond this? help me out i'm a bit stumped.

woops

is not like other people
if you mean values accumulate with time then that's just self-evident.

i don't mean this at all, i mean that what i think is by a certain age, say 25, you've learned what kind of sound you like, not this particular track, or that track, but this or that sound. so down the line if you hear such sounds or combination of sounds you'll think yeah good. anything else you won't be bothered.

i don't believe you'll suddenly have a massive rupture in taste when you're 50 say. i can't see that happening with anyone, musician, critic, people i know.

luka

My experience, which is not everybody's experience, has been that I still like all the things I liked as a child and as a teenager but as I get older I enjoy music I had no port of entry too before. Different types of music teach me different ways to listen. So I have various breakthroughs.

Dub as a stoned teenager. Coltrane as a mentally unstable teenager. Techno as a disaffected 20 something. Bernard parmagianni on DMT. Free improv on acid. These extensions of the self.

woops

is not like other people
My experience, which is not everybody's experience, has been that I still like all the things I liked as a child and as a teenager but as I get older I enjoy music I had no port of entry too before. Different types of music teach me different ways to listen. So I have various breakthroughs.

Dub as a stoned teenager. Coltrane as a mentally unstable teenager. Techno as a disaffected 20 something. Bernard parmagianni on DMT. Free improv on acid. These extensions of the self.

this supports my argument imo

luka

There is music which connects instantly, electrifies the sensorium, is undeniable at point of contact, and there is other music which needs to work on us, to transform us, rewire us, before we can interface with it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I still don't understand the argument. I can certainly like and appreciate smooth sounds i just don't most of the time. that's different to saying that's set in stone. similarly with rock and synthpop i don't recoil from them, i just tend to be highly selective with what i can listen to.

Really the only genre i can't ever ever ever abide is hardstyle.

It's like kirk degiorgio's ambient techno from the 90s, i don't dislike it at all, in fact if i had the option of holding onto it i would. it's just most times i find it bit boring. i have to be in a certain mindset.

woops

is not like other people

this is a direct progression isn't it. i can see that if no one else can. from space to deeper space to techno space to DMT space.

Look at that list of things you don't like in music Luke. Guitar solos, bomp bomp gabba beats. All those things are missing from the genres you describe there. So it's quite clear to me you've formed an (evolving) aesthetic which nevertheless has parameters of what's acceptable and what isn't.

luka

Well the premise of the thread is that there are lines I don't think I can cross? Barriers to entry.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I dunno Luke you sound like my post-dubstep mates who were listening to dj/rupture in 2004 ok mate if you say so you were only 12. no childhood regrets at all? none? there must be some shit that you hate now that you loved then. maybe you were a big fan of dj brisk and dj ham?

Like I'm trying to abstract it here. I don't think I would hate emo if i was exposed to it in a certain context. which i wasn't. but the way you're framing this seems to be some kind of innate principle thing, I'm more interested in how the principles developed, as such.

Last edited: