Thrive in '95 - Jungle's zenith

droid

In 96 I nicked the ministry of sound comp - one half of a whole decade from my local music store. He used to leave the cds in the sleeves of the ones in the window. Tsk. On it was bukem's logical progression sessions 1. I listened to that thing over and over until one of the hot girls in my classes older brother borrowed it and never returned it. Karma maybe. Anyway I fuckin loved that mix and when I relistened to it for the first time 4 or 5 years ago it sent shivers down my spine. Conrad's voice played a role, so ya'll can kiss my ass!

Unrepentant. Wallowing in sin.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
P.S. Hope I didn't steal thunder from droid there - if you meant to post that tune I will delete my post til later.

This is the problem with blogsensus, the very real danger of responses crowding things out.

luka

If he wasn't so old we'd be obliged to beat it out of him but it's probably too late so we will have to treat it as a mystifying though endearing quirk

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
was looking up ashley beadle and one of his groups was black jazz chronicles, hang on weren't they making detroit techno and isn't fred P american?

turns out I was getting confused with black jazz constitution.

I like this kinda stuff at 6 AM sometimes.

UK people can't make good deep house though. in the UK you either have to be raw or refined. no in between. it's why our trip hop culture is absolutely disgusting as well. people slate dilla but he pisses over all our instrumental beat makers who are the worst of the fucking worst. I like dilla, it's jazzual soulquarian vibes done right.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
English people are simply incapable of understanding the dialectic. that's why classical liberalism is a suitable philosophy for them. they can't conceive of society as having both progressive and highly regressive elements operating simultaneously. they are an uncultivated people.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Beadle made some OK tunes as ballistic brothers. That's all I know of him tbh. I'm not a Ladbroke Grover whatsoever. Nor a soulboy. I just like Conrad because of him being on the 1st mix of that kind of music I owned. I was 11!

I remember bringing a tape of 1 in the jungle to school one day in my Walkman and my mate Paul had a listen and laughed at the mc. Gave me the phones back with pity in his eyes. He was listening to happy hardcore at the time like the rest of the raving yoot up there. I never played any of it to anyone else after that. It was my own private thing. In 2008 I went back up there around Easter and a bunch of familiar faces were at the local nightclub including Paul. Guess what he was doing? Djing jump up in places like Macclesfield and barrow on furness. I didn't bother to say anything, hehe.

I also used to get called in before all the other kids at night, even on weekends. So I'd go up to my room on a Friday, put on Westwood and then listen to 1itj. This was week after week. I'd have my window open in the summer so I'd have the sound of everyone playing outside mixed with the beats. Kind of an emotional trigger just thinking back to that time. But yeah, when I got that mix CD it was one of my most prized possessions. I was late to the game ofc. Had no idea what came before it all. I just knew I'd discovered something that no one else I knew was into and I fkn loved it. Maybe if it'd been a few years earlier I'd give a shit but nah. I still love that mix, especially the 1st half to this day. So many incredible pieces of sound design and it just flows beautifully. Sure Conrad is a bit on the cheesy side, but that resonant boom of his blends with those sounds perfectly IMHO.

So suck yer mums :cool:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
was looking up ashley beadle and one of his groups was black jazz chronicles, hang on weren't they making detroit techno and isn't fred P american?

turns out I was getting confused with black jazz constitution.

I like this kinda stuff at 6 AM sometimes.

UK people can't make good deep house though. in the UK you either have to be raw or refined. no in between. it's why our trip hop culture is absolutely disgusting as well. people slate dilla but he pisses over all our instrumental beat makers who are the worst of the fucking worst. I like dilla, it's jazzual soulquarian vibes done right.

Fred P is black jazz consortium and is from NYC. There are some amazing deep house producers from back in the day in the UK. People like the idjut boys did some great shit before they went balearic. Nail from Nottingham. Vince Watson. The Rurals and loads more that I can't think of off the top

luka

Sorry patty we have typecast and stereotyped you and nothing you can say can change our minds! You are our honoury West londoner and we love you

Woebot

i don't know about "joy" but "Metropolis" oozes jouissance - i don't find it arid or sterile - it seems immense to me.

but then "Circles" seems immense (and jouissance-oozy) also, but in a completely different way

that one person could be responsible for such different tunes that are equally colossal is remarkable

mind you, he never did anything else anywhere near as good as either - which is a mystery for the ages

i can never get over the fact that Adam F is the son of Alvin Stardust, that wouldn't mean anything to you young whippernsappers of course

me and my friend hugo interviewed adam f at home on the back of his lucky spin singles - long before his hits - and alvin walked into the kitchen.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this thread's making things like this pop up on my youtube recommended videos.

it's actually quite good, in its way.

I love that tune. was gonna put it in my list. garage (as in house) jungle. obviously though i had to substitute it for guy called gerald instead. I'll probably put it in the next list i do in 2-3 years time.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I remember bringing a tape of 1 in the jungle to school one day in my Walkman and my mate Paul had a listen and laughed at the mc. Gave me the phones back with pity in his eyes. He was listening to happy hardcore at the time like the rest of the raving yoot up there. I never played any of it to anyone else after that. It was my own private thing. In 2008 I went back up there around Easter and a bunch of familiar faces were at the local nightclub including Paul. Guess what he was doing? Djing jump up in places like Macclesfield and barrow on furness. I didn't bother to say anything, hehe.

this is totally unsurprising though jump up was bringing back the simplicity of rave at a 95 tempo after jungle had plunged into total abstraction. of course the counter-move to that was all that horrid jazz cartel shit. they should have continuued that abstraction. but everyone hated my poor little junglists.

I mean that thing that simon reynolds did with DJ Vibes is kind of right, kind of, jungle wasn't really rave music when it come to 94, not really. rave music isn't really designed to fuck yer head up on skunk. all those ghosted reversed pitch bent fx eerie ambience all that stuff was post-rave in the truist sense. you would still go apeshit to it but the rave dream or even the rave compense was dead. it was music to nerd the brain after the weeks anxieties. happy hardcore still kept raves brute functionality alive, as did jump up. that's the thing, rave was always a contradiction in terms.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
exactly:

It was almost like the scene's inner circle had consciously decided to see who was really down with the programme, to deliberately alienate the 'lightweights'.

kill the dream. i approve.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is what me and luke were saying on sunday, look even bliss is corroborating it!

"Alienated, the punters deserted in droves to the milder climes of house and garage."

A lot of people want vibes music in the club. not headfuck music. i can certainly appreciate that impulse. I don't think they are stupid or braindead masses for wanting that, in some senses they became the vanguard. so i got respect for that impulse. But I always feel like an outsider in a club being a middle easterner. I'd not be caught dead at a club if it was just an 80s soul night for instance. not because I don't like that muusic, i love it, but because it would make me feel uber self-conscious. darker music can be overpowering, it can get people around me to get barred up, either blown away or alienated. that's good for me as I can feel more like i can ride my own groove.