Thrive in '95 - Jungle's zenith

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
You're a smouldering volcano who needs to let off a little lava every now and then. That's all good. BTW, did you ever go to Jeff Mills at the arches in SE1, third?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't like clubs patty i prefer warehouse parties even if they have a shit clipping sound system. whenever i used to go to a club i wanted to beat the shit out of bouncers. shout out to my man Christian at corsica though, best security ever, would have a chat with me always in all kinds of messed up states and always let me in.

I'm blind for the love of God I can't do your jet setting party lifestyle half of the clubs where grime nights were hosted would give me the side eye like this guy needs to have his mates with him, as if disability discrimination is not real and that means u have less mates.

you clubbing lot are crazy sometimes. might have to just dj merzbow if i get booked to play your wedding.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Been meaning to say that when you all come to Berlin you have to be the dj for the night.

Yeah I think it was cable. Anyway, I was there at the bar one time for a Mills gig, might have been a Lost, and I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turn around and there's 3 people stood there maybe 2 girls and a guy? Not sure about the sexes but it was definitely 3 people and the one in the middle thrusts a 20 bob note in my face and asks me to buy 3 drinks. It took a minute to figure out what was going on. Could that have been you?

droid

beautiful. better than anything danny's mates put out in 96.

Ron Wells and Jack Smooth's lost album. Got a repress a few years back and I was very excited, but when it turned out there was actually just a couple of great tunes on it and the rest was pretty much dross, not worth the £60 or so they were charging.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Been meaning to say that when you all come to Berlin you have to be the dj for the night.

Yeah I think it was cable. Anyway, I was there at the bar one time for a Mills gig, might have been a Lost, and I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turn around and there's 3 people stood there maybe 2 girls and a guy? Not sure about the sexes but it was definitely 3 people and the one in the middle thrusts a 20 bob note in my face and asks me to buy 3 drinks. It took a minute to figure out what was going on. Could that have been you?

if it was lost no, i never went to those things, i went to james ruskin's blueprint nights though so possibly at one of them.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Ron Wells and Jack Smooth's lost album. Got a repress a few years back and I was very excited, but when it turned out there was actually just a couple of great tunes on it and the rest was pretty much dross, not worth the £60 or so they were charging.

ha, don't fall into the deathtrap of the bourgeois jungle economy, strictly proletarian flacs off other sources. digital is the future!

blissblogger

this is the PFM track i think is immense

bizarrely owing to some filing error the track is listed on YouTube as being by Premiata Forneria Marconi - the Italian prog rock band

Re. Conrad - thing is, he suits the music he's MCing over - his flow goes with its flow

if there had to be MCing - and possibly there needn't or shouldn't be - that would be the type to surf the wishy-wash of sound Bukem unfurls - gliding, leisurely, quasi-spiritual

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Not a fan then, bliss? Silly question. But is it because it seems lame in comparison to the energy of the stuff you loved as a lad or what?

droid

He completely destroys the Western, reduces a subtly crafted mini masterpiece to a tawdry backdrop for his laughable, idiotic warblings. Conrad is a repeat offender of the cardinal crime of MC'ng - not knowing when to shut up.

Everything that's wrong about MC's personified.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
OK now that's fair. I thought it was either his admittedly cheap shot rhymes or something personal. Have to say I prefer raves without mcs for the most part

What a tearjerker that track tho.

Last edited:

blissblogger

he's not my favorite MC by a long chalk, i don't find him as offensive as some here do. I'm sure i was in Speeed a bunch of times when he was on the mic and it didn't spoil the vibe - hard to not internally snigger a bit when he gets into the vaguely spiritual stuff, but the whole "relaxing your mind" etc etc stuff goes with the sound

yeah i think it suits the Bukem / Good Looking vibe, which could be enjoyable in its chill way. i saw Bukem - sans Conrad - do one of the best deejay sets i've ever seen, in NYC, it wasn't junglistic, it was so completely smooth and rolling and this amorphous shimmering wall of goo

he was playing entirely people on his own label i should imagine, so all acoyltes and making music in LTJ Bukem's image

you really could not tell the transitions between tracks, it was all one rippling mega-track or meta-track

Bukem was obviously at his best in the early stuff like Atlantis etc was he was still making tunes for pillheads and a ravefloor so there was Amens in there but he was smuggling in the musicality and the wafty ambient thing and that was a great coexistence of seeming opposites

but then when he didn't have to smuggle it in but just let it blossom it became something else - bit mild, bit pacific - but the logical progression of what he wanted to do, in that sense valid. a whole sound that he owned, him and his people.

yeah i don't think was a bad thing necessarily, i could dip into that vibe and dig it, i wouldn't spend most of my jungling time in that vibe though

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The way you describe that set in New York reminds me of the EXIT set. It was the only time I've seen a DNB DJ mix like a house/techno DJ. Long, smooth transitions, slowwww emotional shifts.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
berlin techno djs you mean.

but nah i know your point. the thing is though bukem is a skilled dj but the glr stuff is not hard to mix anyone can do it, there are huge wishy washy 3 minute ambient bits before the breaks kick in.

Last edited:

droid

Bukem was an amazing DJ. Long blends, well thought through sequences and the technical skills to pull off really tricky mixes using the whole tune. Big influence on Naphta who was a huge influence on me.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
he's not my favorite MC by a long chalk, i don't find him as offensive as some here do. I'm sure i was in Speeed a bunch of times when he was on the mic and it didn't spoil the vibe - hard to not internally snigger a bit when he gets into the vaguely spiritual stuff, but the whole "relaxing your mind" etc etc stuff goes with the sound

yeah i think it suits the Bukem / Good Looking vibe, which could be enjoyable in its chill way. i saw Bukem - sans Conrad - do one of the best deejay sets i've ever seen, in NYC, it wasn't junglistic, it was so completely smooth and rolling and this amorphous shimmering wall of goo

he was playing entirely people on his own label i should imagine, so all acoyltes and making music in LTJ Bukem's image

you really could not tell the transitions between tracks, it was all one rippling mega-track or meta-track

Bukem was obviously at his best in the early stuff like Atlantis etc was he was still making tunes for pillheads and a ravefloor so there was Amens in there but he was smuggling in the musicality and the wafty ambient thing and that was a great coexistence of seeming opposites

but then when he didn't have to smuggle it in but just let it blossom it became something else - bit mild, bit pacific - but the logical progression of what he wanted to do, in that sense valid. a whole sound that he owned, him and his people.

yeah i don't think was a bad thing necessarily, i could dip into that vibe and dig it, i wouldn't spend most of my jungling time in that vibe though

bbest mix he did was yaman 06, trust me. shame it was never recorded properly to tape so you get a bad cut at the end of the 2nd side and loads of other weird fuck ups. but still, unparalleled for him.