Thrive in '95 - Jungle's zenith

droid

We mix in key for all the ambient and digital stuff and analyze it using software, jungle is all vinyl, done by ear.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm also very strongly ideologically opposed to the perfect mix but if anyone can convince me of its merits it will be droid.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
my favourite ideologically politically incorrect mixing trick is pitching up the record playing and the record you're mixing into at the same time. it can be awful or fire. Mills does it sometimes.

droid

The philosophy is simple. Every tune has a matching tune out there where melody, rhythm, flow will all line up perfectly in the mix, just slot into each other perfectly like inca stonework. The task is to find that mix and develop the technical skills to execute it faultlessly.

In theory every record ever made could fit into one long perfect whole, more than the sum of its parts, its just a case of finding the right sequence.

The mystical exegesis of Kabbalah. A gematria of music.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Do tunes pop into your head as you play? I find the more I plan the worse I am. But then I'm a traktor guy so not as much is on the line.

droid

Sometimes. Sometimes its long slog through dozens of tunes to find the mix. I've found mixes in my dreams once or twice.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Sometimes. Sometimes its long slog through dozens of tunes to find the mix. I've found mixes in my dreams once or twice.

i had that once, i was somehow mixing keith hudson into hardcore acid, i thought i'd dropped 4 tabs and then woke up and was like phew.

luka

The philosophy is simple. Every tune has a matching tune out there where melody, rhythm, flow will all line up perfectly in the mix, just slot into each other perfectly like inca stonework. The task is to find that mix and develop the technical skills to execute it faultlessly.

In theory every record ever made could fit into one long perfect whole, more than the sum of its parts, its just a case of finding the right sequence.

The mystical exegesis of Kabbalah. A gematria of music.

This is a specific and rare personality type. Don't underestimate the utter strangeness of DJ the droid. He's been working on the same six hour mix for nine years. "His magnum opus" as padraig said to me in baffled wonderment.

sadmanbarty

but its far beyond 'lol, droid's a bit pedantic'. he's struck something profound in me. something i can't even begin to articulate. i feel it in my stomach. i'm shocked.

in awe.

version

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The discussion of 'perfect' mixes is apt for a jungle discussion cos arguably what jungle lost as it became more professionalised was the clash of harmonically or rhyhmically dissonant sounds. It became slicker (the blander jazz-jungle being only the most obvious example of this). And ultimately drum n bass becomes possibly the genre most fetishistic about engineering.

This seems to be a blanket problem for many electronic genres, though, now - it's all so well made, so slick, it doesn't have any surprises in it, or bum notes.

droid

Perfection can include dissonance, the important thing is internal consistency. Suspension of disbelief.

Anyway, Ive said too much.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think that - despite what you may think of it (luka esp lol) - Burial's music resonated particularly with people because of its obvious imperfection, its sense of being cobbled together. As mysterious a figure as he made himself, for all the apparent disguises and shadows in it, it sounded more human, or worldly, than anything else electronic producers were doing at the time.