IdleRich

IdleRich
Does anyone go reading at bars? Lately I've been going to the local german tavern, taking my pen and notepad.

It's something that I love to do every now and again. I like bars, I like drinking, I like reading... why not? I also like chatting, so this is not the only option, plus, I recognise that if you get too wankered you'll possibly lose the thread or at least the nuances of what you were reading. But the short answer to the question is yes. Also in cafes and stuff.

To me, sometimes it's great to spend a day on your own. Not just a day at home I mean, but a day in town or whatever. Especially if you're situated like I am where you are actually out of the town and so it is a bit of a journey to go in and you can pretend it's a sort of day out. Sometimes such a day might be organised around some special event, but, if it's not, then I guess it's shopping - and the only things that I buy are really records, books and clothes. And probably on an average shopping day I don't buy any of them things anyhow, but the point is, on such a day I will get my bag ready and I'll start packing and then I'll think "What the fuck do I put in a bag?" and in the end it's probably just a book cos I can't think of a single other thing.

Then I go to town, go to a shop, go to a cafe, go to a shop, go to a cafe etc all day long, drinking coffee and reading my book in each cafe... until a certain point at which I switch to alcohol (I'd say about 10.45am - no I'm obviously joking, I've never got up that early). So coffee In the first few places, then at a certain point you switch to alcohol, now in theory there is no rule that says you can't switch back if you like but I never do, and in fact no-one ever does, in fact a recent survey showed that no-one on an all day session has ever changed back to coffee once they've made the switch. The nearest is that sometimes in the later bars I will get an espresso with whatever spirt I'm drinking but I will never ever stop on the hard stuff and go back to caffeine.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
there was one regular of legendary grumpiness who used to sit in a booth with 2 drinks and 2 books, every night, to make it look like he had a friend there. probably the most horrible antisocial person I've ever come across. now dead
Life goals

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was reading Ulysses in the pub last year, although only ever with one drink I think. It felt appropriate given how much of the 'story' takes place in pubs.

Generally speaking I'd be concerned that I wouldn't be reading properly, being drunk.

Benny Bunter

I do most of my reading in bars, just read 20 pages of David Copperfield in one of my many locals. Onto my third beer now though so time to put it down.

I find reading poetry when you've had a few can be great, especially if you read it out loud to yourself, cos it loosens you up and you can get into it more. Novels or essays, not so much.

I've got the advantage of being able to sit outside all year round though, don't think I'd do it in an English pub.

luka

Does anyone go reading at bars? Lately I've been going to the local german tavern, taking my pen and notepad.
after three drinks youre attention starts wandering and youre grinning to yourself. its a lovely idea but in practice it doesnt work at all.

luka

i never drink in january, or febuary really, but it has been gorgeous drinking weather. i was fantasising about belgium beers, russian imperial stout, and hungarian desert wines and peaty scotches.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
after three drinks youre attention starts wandering and youre grinning to yourself. its a lovely idea but in practice it doesnt work at all.
Yeah I'm noticing this in terms of increasingly having to reread paragraphs starting after the second drink. Granted its not exactly light reading, but still, the point remains.

luka

i tried to start drinking again but it didnt really work. i just had a sip and didnt feel like carrying on so im still officially muslim. i think i'll have to wait till i've stored some solar energy and spring is properly underway. i did buy a bottle of el dorado 21 though.