Overeducated sports writers log

sus

like how does it get better than this

it's like that Auden poem: As the hawk sees it or the helmeted airman: The clouds rift suddenly - look there.

sus

Malick's camera is restless, searching, existential, always trying to grasp the beyond. He studied philosophy in university, was a Heidegger fan

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
No way is Malick anyone's favourite director
he's not my favorite, but he is unquestionably an all-time great

it's easy to forget since over the last decade he's devolved into a self-parody

but Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line and The New World is as good a string as anyone has put together in the last 50 years

Reactions: sus

luka

How can I do that? I've watched the films. Not all the way through cos I didn't like them. But I've watched some of the beginnings.

luka

That moment in the Pochahontas film where Colin Farrell does interpretative dance to cross the language barrier. That's where I drew a line through it. I've walked out of many cinemas but that one really stands out.

sus

he's not my favorite, but he is unquestionably an all-time great

it's easy to forget since over the last decade he's devolved into a self-parody

but Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line and The New World is as good a string as anyone has put together in the last 50 years

one take I like is that the decadence of his (late) form is supposed to support the decadence of the subject matter (seee Knight of Cups, Song of Songs especially). Living in the moment, an inability to take the long view, to build structure.

sus

It's okay Luka. There's just a kind of wiring to "get" DeLillo's Underworld, or Malick's writing. You just don't have what it takes. That doesn't necessarily make you a pseud, I mean it might, but I can't say for sure

sus

lushness, living form, spirituality

an inability to appreciate these things in art doesn't necessarily means you're broken as a person, maybe just that some part of you is broken, it doesn't have to be totalizing

• Haha
Reactions: Leo

luka

I am not going to rob you of your joys. I want to leave them intact so I am not going to pursue this discussion, what is your definition of cinematography?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
That moment in the Pochahontas film where Colin Farrell does interpretative dance to cross the language barrier
The New World is admittedly where he begins to tip into unintentionally absurd self-parody

but it's also incumbent upon you the viewer to maintain suspension of disbelief

if art is easily mocked, the person who made it probably knows that and did it anyway

[shrugs] if you can't see the transcendent beauty in the opening and ending montages set to Das Vorspiel, idk what to tell you

• Love
Reactions: sus